Spec on changes/Pre-Match Discussion vs Gold Coast (3:20pm 26/3/23 @ Marvel)

Play Voss as a tall forward and let Weideman 2nd ruck as was intended prior to 2MP going down.

Forgetting the opponent for a second but I think this game will be more ‘important’ than today’s result.

A young side getting ahead of themselves after an unexpected big win and a dose of reality or backing up a good/spirited performance with another? We will know a lot more about the bigger picture of 2023 by this time next week.

6 Likes

VOSS THE BOSS!!!

Yeah I think the second ruck is really important. Draper is beginning to do damage when resting up forward and I think he really benefits from the ruck duty chop out.

With hindsight, today probably would have been a good opportunity for Bryan and then swap him for Phillips next week.

2 Likes

Heppell Phillips and Tippa the only 3 I could see possibly being dropped

But each bring their own strengths to the team - Heppell an ex captain and proud, Phillips allows Draper to go forward and be dangerous - and Tippa - well he’s Tippa!

1 Like

Sam Collins had the head knock against the Swans. Was that a concussion?

weid look very sore with his knee iced after the match. see interview with perkins from the change rooms up on the club site

Supposedly not. They reckon he would have come back on if the game didn’t end during his assessment.

That’s assuming there’s no delayed symptoms.

Draper’s ability to clunk has improved markedly over the off season, he actually looks like a very serious threat up forward when not in the ruck.
I think his attack on the ball in the marketing contest is the best we’ve got.

I agree we therefore need Flip, to balance up. Unless someone pulls up sore, it’s hard to justify any changes.

Those contending may have to wait a bit, who could have foreseen this?

I think it’d be stiff to drop Tippa as the sub, had 2 shots on goal and setup Archie with a neat pass, albeit the game was well and truly over by the time he came on.

Personally hope we put him in the VFL though and get him some reps, have him firing for a big return against Melbourne or Pies on ANZAC day if all goes well. Bring Mass in for the sub role.

Would keep Flip against Witts, hes a force for the Suns and i liked Draper when he drifted foward. Had 2 goals and probably would of had a 3rd had we not played on.

Out: Tippa
In: Mass

2 Likes

Pretty much agree with this. Would quite like to see Mass come in for Heppell. Happy for Walla to stay as sub, but really should prioritise what get’s him fully match fit fastest (sub, VFL, whatever).

Phillips is very important structurally, Bryan really needed a good game to push him out.

1 Like

No way will there be 3 changes after a win like that. One change at most.

3 Likes

I think Walla will definitely play VFL, so that’s one.

Beyond that, one change at most. I know people want Hep out but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

From the VFL, it seemed that Voss was the only one that really stood out for selection (based on reports).

Hind, Guelfi and Hobbs still need more VFL time?

Mahoney mentioned Stringer is in the mix for selection wonder if Brad will select him.

In the VFL hopefully

5 Likes

Brad did say that Stringer was medically cleared even for R1, i assume they would want to bring him in through the VFL for a week

2 Likes

I think that would be appropriate

1 Like

Going ok.

big-chungus

2 Likes

This feels too risky, but damn it could be fun to bring in Voss for Phillips and let Weid give Draper a chop out when needed. Development year and all that.

6 Likes