Speculation on changes for Weagles

Heppell: Bring on Eagles

Essendon captain Dyson Heppell believes Thursday night’s clash with West Coast will be a “great challenge” for his group.

The Bombers are coming off consecutive wins against Carlton and Hawthorn, sitting a game outside the top eight and having conceded the fewest points in the competition since the start of round four.

Heppell said the trip to Optus Stadium to face the reigning premiers would be a big test of the Bombers’ credentials.

“Heading over to Perth will be a great challenge for us but we’re ready for it,” Heppell told SEN.

“Every game is big, and Thursday night is a really good opportunity for us. There’s a feeling amongst each other that no matter who we’re playing or where, we’ve just got to play our role and hopefully that will stack up. We’re looking forward to it.”

Ever the leader, Heppell was quick to praise the growth of the Bombers’ younger brigade, with impressive performances from the likes of Darcy Parish, Mason Redman, Dylan Clarke and Kyle Langford over recent weeks.

“We’ve been building over the last four to six weeks, seeing improvements each week even if the scoreboard hasn’t turned in our favour.

“I think what’s been most pleasing is the development of our younger players. We’re seeing some good consistency from them. And we’re not relying on too few each week. We’re building depth and guys are playing their roles, and there’s belief in our system.

“I feel we can build towards a strong back half of the year and hopefully keep improving as we go.”

The skipper also highlighted the contribution of developing youngster Dylan Clarke, who has negated the influence of Carlton’s Patrick Cripps and Hawthorn’s Jaeger O’Meara in strong back-to-back performances.

“He’ll take some good confidence from the last few games he’s played. He’d been plugging away in the VFL where he got tagged himself.

“As you can see, not only is he stemming the impact of some of the (oppositions’) best players, he’s finding the footy himself. He’s been important for us in recent weeks and he’s still got plenty of work to do, but I reckon we’ve found a little niche for us there.”

After leading West Coast to a premiership as both captain and coach, John Worsfold is set to face off against his old side on Thursday night, with Heppell highlighting the senior coach’s experience and resilience.

“‘Woosh’ is one of the most resilient blokes I’ve come across, he has a pretty amazing outlook on things.

“He is very measured in how he goes about it. You need perspective, and we absolutely show our support for him. The playing group have his backing too.”

The Bombers face West Coast on Thursday night at Optus Stadium, with the first bounce at 6:10pm AWST

5 Likes

I still can’t believe we are playing Sydney again so soon, we still haven’t played GC and a few others.

1 Like

that’s an impressive stat - do we thank Rutten for this?

It’s huge.

That and a settled back 6

Now just need that fwd line firing again. Thankfully Stringer didn’t have a major injury. As soon as we have him and Raz in form again, Smack building also + Brown back in we should be doing so

LOL, and you think you do ?

16 Likes

We have to go there and ambush them from the start. Keep that crowd quiet like last year. Don’t give them a sniff.

3 Likes

l will be there and cheering, so loudly l might even receive a cuation from the Insecurity.

8 Likes

Margetts locked in for Thursday night

1 Like

■■■■

2 Likes

Triggered

2 Likes

16 Likes

Dalgleish, Meredith & Gavine the others…

It is what it is…

I’m not sure if Mozzie would have enough time to go 3000 km up the road to pop home while over there.

3 Likes

Arguably their best player. If he isn’t damaging than no one is

1 Like

■■■■ take?

Fight the good fight Jackie boy

1 Like

It’s a special breed of numbskull that doesn’t see what he is. Elite one on one defender (has lost 6 contests this year). Elite contested marker. Elite intercept marker.

Anyone who doesn’t see how good he is is a full blown imbecile of the highest order. So good in fact that teams now try to tailor their game plan precisely around minimizing his influence.

7 Likes

Nope. Confirmed.