Speculation on changes vs North (on the Gold Coast) - 2020 round 6

Yep. Simple and obvious.

I do wonder about Fanta though.

Totally agree

Fanta needs a bunch of games strung together. He hasn’t got that for the best part of two years, maybe longer.

Give him a stretch of 7-8 games and see how he’s going at the end of it.

4 Likes

I do wonder how moving away from home for such an extended period will affect the lads.

Cannot be easy being away from family and we’re going into what appears to be possibly a 3-4 months period being away from home which I can see ending disastrously for the blokes with kids in particular.

1 Like

People overate Francis on Blitz.

Gleeson was pretty good last night.

12 Likes

Didn’t Francis get votes from the coaches only a week to so ago?

I reckon Francis has to develop into a genuine key tall, because as far as being an intercepting half back… He’s no Ridley.

3 Likes

If North had done the right thing years ago this would be a home game for them.

14 Likes

Zaka out and play either Ridley or McKenna wing. Hibberd out for Merrett. Decent first up run for Mitch, will get more games but not next week. They’ll play it very conservative with Francis I think, especially after a great win like last night. If Stringer’s ankle doesn’t come up then maybe Francis in and one of Hooker/Hurley forward. Remember when Hurley was a gun forward for a while? Unlikely, but you never know :grinning:

1 Like

Hooker/Hurley plus Ridley/Gleek is a great lineup of taller players, and they’re all in better form than he is.

Ideally he ends up in Hurley’s spot, but he can kinda play all of those roles.

In a year or two, the picture actually becomes a lot clearer.

Yep I think this too. He has to be the replacement for Hurley (when he was good). Good at nullifying a man first and foremost, and provides some creative drive too

Zerk will take over from Hurley. Need to find a monster to replace Hooker.

Ambrose, Zerk, Ridley, Gleeson, Redman, McKenna, Saad and a big body to replace Hooker.

What’s with the takedown and writing off of Hurls so prematurely?

He had a great game and has been solid with Hooker all year. It was only 30 or so games ago from memory he was AA, he hasn’t fallen off a cliff and if anything the reward of captaincy shows the club doesn’t think so as well.

Belly sure. Hurls, not at his peak best but more than serviceable until someone is good enough to force him out.

4 Likes

It’s better to judge a guy off their birth certificate than their performance.

4 Likes

The question I have. Is JOE DAN on the flight to Coolangatta come Monday?

2 Likes

Surely Zerk takes Hooker. Francis takes Hurley. Then Ridley, Redman, McKenna and Saad. Gleeson with the cameos.

3 Likes

There is no chance Hurley ever plays forward again. He is my favourite player but his wrists are shot. He can’t take a mark out in front and hasn’t for years. If you watch it’s all chest marks and you can’t do that as a forward.

I really worry about his quality of life after footy.

2 Likes

Yep the very same Francis who was also one of our only positives in a final.
Francis just needs to play as often as possible, he will be a very good player over many years for us

10 Likes

In: Merrett, McKenna, Francis
Out: Zaka, Hibberd, Gleeson

2 Likes

Will be a juggling act for the next year and a bit, until one of Hurley/Hooker pull the pin.