Spike to gws

MCVEIGH to join the Giants.

It‘s a headline to make Swans fans shudder but fortunately for the red and white faithful it‘s Mark McVeigh and not Jarrad McVeigh who is making the move to the fledgling team as coach of their academy.

McVeigh takes over the job at a time when the AFL world in Sydney is buzzing with the imminent arrival of Lance Franklin and Giants set to blossom.

“The opportunity is better than ever in NSW that footy can become huge,” McVeigh said.

“We know the Giants franchise is up and going Buddy Franklin is coming to NSW.

“Jarrad (McVeigh) and Kieren Jack are both NSW boys who captain the Swans. Lenny Hayes is a champion of the game the list goes on.”

McVeigh could add his own name to the list of NSW success stories after playing 232 games in 14 seasons at Essendon between 1999 and 2012. Mark and Jarrad grew up on the Central Coast and like Jack and Hayes also played junior football at Pennant Hills.

The former Bomber has spent this year working for the NSWAFL and paid tribute to the Swans academy where he also spent time this season.

“Chris Smith and Paul Roos really showed what you have to do to develop the game and players in this state,” McVeigh said.

“They‘ve got a great handle on it so I‘m grateful for the experience they have given me.

McVeigh‘s main job will be producing players who can follow in his footsteps make it from NSW into the AFL.

“The talent is here we just have to harness it,” McVeigh said.

“That‘s the challenge I have as head coach of the Giants academy is getting some kids from Western Sydney into the AFL, that‘s an exciting thing in itself.

“Plus the talent that is already there in Canberra, Albury and the Riverina, there are players there and we need to get them playing the Giants way.

“With the academy hopefully they can make the smooth transition into the footy club.

McVeigh was quick to point out that the vast majority of academy players won‘t make it to the AFL but the academies still bring great benefits to the health of the game north of the Murray.

“Let‘s remember all kids in the academy won‘t play AFL footy but they will be exposed to a really good brand of coaching which they can take back to their local clubs and they lift.

“We then get more local talent coming through and the league‘s in the city and country NSW get better and that‘s what it‘s all about.

“The Giants and Swans academies are two different football clubs but we‘re trying to do the same thing that is develop NSW.

“We are competing but still aligned and we have to look after each other and our ultimate goal is to get NSW kids drafted into the AFL.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gws-giants-have-appointed-former-bomber-mark-mcveigh/story-fni5f7qp-1226748500502

What a champ. Deserves a standing ovation from the Bomber faithful next time we seem him at Etihad, even wearing orange.

Well done that Bomber McVeigh. 

Told the media to finish their rep

Bleeds White, Charcoal & Orange

Sellout. I never believed he wanted to go back to Sydney to be with his "family" - who does that? And he never stuck up for us throughout the whole drugs saga. Dead to me.

In other news... Good luck to him. Could be an interesting role. And for those who can't see the blindingly obvious, I don't believe any of that stuff above...

Did they hire him on the strength of that spray he gave Reimers?

Oh you mean the "vicious and predictable attempt to discredit a key witness"?

Perhaps my favourite line of Copy from the Sorry Saga - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/gerard-whateley-says-the-shocking-acc-report-illuminates-an-issue-we-need-to-know-about/story-e6frg6n6-1226573873122

thought he was going into the media.

wonder what put him off.

Fancy letting a alleged “performance drug taker” anywhere near them young boys , I hope there done there due diligence on who they’ve employed.

Exodus!

Hopefully Spike won't have to pull on a guernsey for them.

she did say his media career was in jeopardy...

Perhaps my favourite line of Copy from the Sorry Saga - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/gerard-whateley-says-the-shocking-acc-report-illuminates-an-issue-we-need-to-know-about/story-e6frg6n6-1226573873122

Sciency stuff. 

Sciency stuff. 

Say that again

CHAD SEXINGTON

Vitamins