Sports Science Introduction

Prostate checks aren’t permitted without consulting a doctor.

So what you are saying here is:

Blitzers are all very passionate and impatient, but ultimately ignorant of the fact that the genetic make up of a player determines their strength and conditioning program.

So some players will take 3-4-5 years simply because of the genetic make-up and program that’s been tailored to ensure they get to the very optimum level of conditioning their body allows?

See: Langford/Francis.

1 Like

Thanks L2L!

I find the recent trends fascinating.

I looks at the dominant sides and see.

Lions 01-03 massive monsters who were power beasts.

Cats 07-11 bulky guys who could run all day and were really a team of smart footballers (I always found this odd!) maybe they were just smarter on where to run than everybody else.

Pies 2010 who had a games style and an insane work rate for an extremely dominant season. (Again their ability to back the pressure up week to week was odd/impressive)

Hawks 2012-15 there’s appears to be on the back of an amazing system and kicking weapons. But I also think Clarkson trimmed the team down before everybody else to try and increase the running capacity.

That’s the one thing I’m struggling to see with outlet current team. What is it we are aiming for and does our game play reflect it. We appear to have allot of seriously powerful and quick runners. I’m not sure what we are trying to achieve yet.

1 Like

You have put that very eloquently. That certainly is one of the points.

The injury prevention stuff certainly interests me. I love hearing the anxiety certain clubs and fitness people have around making sure there ruck and full forward stay fit when their entire season depends on it.

1 Like

Whatever happened to running a few laps, a bit of circle work, some end to end kicking and a couple of short sprints? Then back to the sheds for a cold shower a pie and a beer?

Twice a week was enough.

4 Likes

You forgot the durries

1 Like

Don’t forget Hawthorn were ‘front n centre’ with their blood manipulation (orthokine) therapy, where players own blood is withdrawn, spun and then reinjected. My understanding i that they needed clarification from ASADA to make sure it was ok - they got/get away with it based on volume (<50mL in any one treatment), but greater than that it is WADA prohibited under M1.

Also allegedly micro-doping testosterone

Unsociably angry and recovering better

Great thread @Laverde2Langford, really appreciate the effort you have put into it.

4 Likes

Its a real insight, thanks.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the “smelling salts”.

The only thing I know about sports science is that you can trust ASADA’s information they give you, until you can’t and then you get banned for two years.

1 Like

When board members comes out and says in so many words that that’s exactly what happened, not sure there’s much of a limb being climbed out on.

I believe the court cases are now settled, which is nice.

Too many barbecues of a different variety. Allegedly.

2 Likes

Well that too.

He was prone to horse tranquilizers and recently tried to set a house on fire. Guy is a peanut!

Industry thoughts on crow? He certainly seems to have some academic cred but is that legit?

My mate seems to be generally respectful of Crowe. He says he’s young but seems to be doing a good job and seems a good operator.

He is not always so generous so I take that as a positive.

Taylor Adams talking on the radio this morning disclosed a bit about the changes to Collingwood training.
Now they are doing a lot more 50m repeat sprints, rather than repeat 400 metres, Not as much long distance running … 3 km stuff, trying to base fitness on “the way a game is played”.

The question is, why teams have not always based fitness training on the way the game is played ?

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it be clubs not keeping up the how the games being played? Rather than just fitness types?

I mean Malthouse loved the wing for years after it was out of Vogue.

He only loved the wing cause there was more boundary line.