#10 Franga: IN OUT IN OUT

It’s really not. He’s just one of those kids that will carry a bit extra, … “Puppy fat” (as I’ve always known it), for a touch longer than others, … but when it finally gets transformed into height, & muscle mass, … he’s going to be a beast… I mean like an old time 6’ 4" blacksmith type.

Just as a point of reference, … does anyone remember how Jobe Wan began his playing career??

He was a very similar character, physique wise. Carried that little extra for 2 to 3 years in the mid section, … thighs like lamp posts … . And the thing is, you don’t actually want to strip them of it too early, … it’s still there for a reason, it needs to be there for him for when the body calls on it, to put into that last late growing that occurs with their type.

The difference is, what Jobe could get away with in the game as it was back even then, … you simply can’t in today’s run run run & then just fkn run some more style of AFL.

I’ve seen many of his, & Jobes type over the years, both locally, & in the AFL.

He’ll be fine.

12 Likes

Francis is also tall and the bigger guys usually take a bit longer. Not really relevant but I was not the slightest bit concerned waiting a bit longer for McCluggage either.
Not everyone is a star straight away. Have a look at Carlisle’s career.

I don’t think his fitness is as big an issues at its made out either. He showed he can do ok in games last year, he is fitter and will be better.

But I also think we need to ensure it all stays a positive experience for the lad.

4 Likes

The kid has done it pretty hard, the pressure of moving interstate away from his family as an 18 year old isn’t always easy. He takes me as a quieter type of lad too. We can’t know what toll loosing his brother in his draft year has had either.

From all reports he has put in really hard all pre-season, had a couple of injury setbacks, and then falls ill and misses his chance in JLT2.

Fitness can take longer for some,especially with his body type. It sounds like he has grown significantly since been drafted too. He is pretty much key position size now. I just hope the club is giving him all the support he needs.

3 Likes

Don’t forget he was still growing last year, put in 5 cm in height? I have no worries about him getting there, be patient.

3 Likes

Jobe didn’t get away with it back then, he didnt do anything of note in the AFL till his 4th season.

Francis is on the same path, and he will be fine.

1 Like

Actually, that’s not how I recall it.

There was no mass-lauding of McG because he was ready to go, nor was there any disparaging of McClug because he needed more time. That is revisionist, I reckon. Most people wanted McClug, because he was/is a great player, and a smaller group wanted McG because they preferred him as a player. And an even smaller group preferred players like Brodie, Taranto, Setterfield, etc. It had nothing to do with ‘being ready to go’, and nothing at all to do with Francis and what seems to be the adopted position of his situation here on Blitz.

Reading through this stuff makes it seems like all the kid needs is a few more ‘likes’, a few more positive Blitz comments, maybe a nice word in a training reposrt, and he’ll be done. Talk about self-aggrandisement…

3 Likes

Not quite, I wanted taranto but said if we get McG he has to be ready r1.

training 3 Mar

Looking very relaxed and clearly not aware of the camera.

2 Likes

In 2016, people wanted McCluggage because we needed a small who kicks goals.

In 2017, he’d be fifth in line as forward pocket/midfielder!

1 Like

No 18 year old kid needs to be ready to play round 1

5 Likes

Not to mention with any high pick you are looking for who you think will be the best player over the next decade, so if one of your criteria is they need to be ready for round one you are doing it wrong.

2 Likes

Not sure about that…I think McC was seen as a midfielder who can kick a goal and would probably rest forward. That saying though, he’d probably earn his stripes playing HFF as Zerrett did.

1 Like

Should get up for the Geelong game, then will play so well we won’t be able to drop him. Just needs to remind everyone how well he can read the game.

Your boy looked very good the other night.

Until he got steamrolled by diggers wet dream

1 Like

What about Powell Pepper, he was who i was hoping for with our second pick. Looks to be a gun already to me, quick powerful and hunts the contest and has only played a couple of JLT games.

2 Likes

So, C10 are reporting that he has an ongoing ankle issue that occurred in one of the intraclubs. He went for further scans today.

Out for another 2 weeks at least I reckon

He’s cooked.