St Essington's Day - 25 August 2023

I notice that the 2009 and 2011 assessments were excluding finals?

And surely losing to Melbourne in 2012 was the most Essington thing that ever Essingtoned?

And surely losing to Melbourne in 2012 was the most Essington thing that ever Essingtoned?

Flash mob

Flash mob

I stand corrected.

Worth of a nomination as Classic Post Captain Jack?

Now that we’ve got St. Francis do they cancel each other out?

I noticed in 2012 there was “a Friday not loss”. Could that be considered a win?

Otherwise, brilliant thread.

Happy bottom out day!

It only falls when we’re no longer a chance to make the. 09, 11 and 14 were all anomalies.

It only falls when we’re no longer a chance to make the. 09, 11 and 14 were all anomalies.

Ah ok, I thought it was a ‘season over in embarrassing fashion’ type thing.

Going by that, you’re probably being too positive with this thread.

Lol very funny. I think i have said before that melbourne and essendon are the two worst clubs of the past 10 to 15 years, does anyone know the actual stats around this?

Along side it we should have Essington matches where we lose the unlosable games and derail our season.

Lol very funny. I think i have said before that melbourne and essendon are the two worst clubs of the past 10 to 15 years, does anyone know the actual stats around this?

Yes, but define what you consider ‘worst’?

Melbourne have the dubious distinction of being the worst team over the last decade in terms of pure H&A wins, and by a very long way. If i take 2005 (i.e. the year we first cratered) as the starting point, the aggregate H&A position of the five worst teams through round 14 this year is as follows (from worst to ‘best’):

Melbourne: 78-177-3 (79.0%)
Brisbane: 92-161-3 (85.9%)
Carlton: 98-154-4 (91.2%)
Essendon: 101-151-4 (89.1%)
Richmond: 112-139-5 (92.8%)

Pretty incredible to think that, between those 5 teams over the last 11 completed seasons, there’s been a grand total of four finals wins (Carlton: 2, Brisbane: 1, Melbourne: 1). I guess it’s the opposite side of the coin to the fact that there’s been 3 dominant teams for the last decade (Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney).

What stands out like a sore thumb is how big an influence the introduction of GWS/GC has had on the efficacy of the competition’s primary equalizing mechanism, the draft. What basically happened over the last decade is that you had 3-4 teams that were very strong in the late 2000s (e.g. Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney), and then the enormous draft concessions granted to GWS/GC from 2009-2013 made it near impossible for mid-to-low table clubs to seriously rebuild and challenge the incumbents. I don’t think any of Geelong, Hawthorn or Sydney would’ve enjoyed the near-oligopoly they’ve had for the last decade had GWS/GC not been introduced, and i suspect the next 5-10 years will be much more even with more clubs bobbing up to compete for top 4 finishes & premierships.

Melbourne 2012 was one of the worst.

2 weeks before we had smashed West Coast off the park in probably our best performance in years. Looked like a legit threat.

2 weeks later we lose to a team that hadn’t won a game all season. Our season never really recovered from that imo

What a farkin ■■■■■■ loser’s thread this is.

Gloomers gon Gloom …

Richmond? Melbourne won a final in 2006, Richmond is the only team who hasn’t won a final since we last won ours.

Gloomers gon Gloom ...

I was waiting for that

Quality shtposting Mendoza.

I still believe that March 26th 2010 is the day the wheels started to come off.

Quality shtposting Mendoza.

I still believe that March 26th 2010 is the day the wheels started to come off.

Jay Neagle?