Stairway to Heaven was a Rip Off?

Apparently their playing in Melbourne soon?

I still don’t understand how ice ice baby did not equal under pressure.

I still don't understand how ice ice baby did not equal under pressure.
Vanilla Ice bought the rights to the song off Queen

Stealing songs, riffs, lyrics, well… that’s just how rock rolls…

Good artists borrow, great artists steal?? I never really got that.

On Stairway itself, it is a magnificent song, but one l could quite happily not ever hear again, It simply got flogged way too much. thanks to Lee Simon when he started working at 3MMM. When they first started up they surveyed their listeners and found the 2 most popular songs, and wound up with the overblown Hay Jude, an epic bore, and Stairway. As a direct result both songs went on to high rotation for the next 5 or so years. There was plenty of other good music around, but they catered to the lowest common denominator, killing all pleasure in that song.

And by the way the other epic track on Zed Zeppelin 4, When The Levee Breaks, was written by a woman, the fabulous Memphis Minnie, but she was given co-writter credits.

Still recall every note from the concert at Kooyong in the early seventies.

Was any other Blitzer there and remember it?

Yes. l went with friends. l attempted a sort of cosplay, going as the old man from the inside cover of Zed Leppelin 1V. Around my neck l wore an alarm clock, so l sort of double up as father time as well. We got there early, and l set the alarm, the time they were due to come on at 3.00. The sky was strange, like a storm was going to develop, it never did, but it was quite windy for a while/ We had a few joints in preparation, and settled in. At 3.00 there was no sign of them, but l had forgotten about the alarm clock, which duly announced, that they were running late. It was a very good concert. One of the highlights for me was watching John Paul Jones play mandolin and bass pedals with his feet at the same time, during the acoustic part of the set. Just the 3 of them on stage, with Bonzo taking a rest. He was a great drummer, his right are would lash out horizontally and would start from behind him.

For all that l preferred the Page & Plant concert in 1996. Melbourne was the last venue on their Unledded world tour, with the 8 piece band from N Africa and a 14 piece string section from the MSO. All up there were almost 30 people on stage at the Tennis Centre. The highlight was the 15 min reworking of Kashmir, Page’s fave Zeppelin song, and my fave version. It is pretty much my fave track of all time, l never get tired of listening to it, so evocative.

My first wife was. A fact she runbed in my face for ten years.
I was only 6 years old in 72…otherwise I surely would have. I do have it on bootleg though.

I sometimes put it on just before I make love to mrs zep,if the song finishes before me I know I’ve had too many beers.

And they all copied Bach anyway

Sebastian?

“No need to whimper,
no need to shout.
This parties over,
so get the eff out”

Classical.

I sometimes put it on just before I make love to mrs zep,if the song finishes before me I know I've had too many beers.

l used Mezzanine, by Massive Attack, Unfinished Symphony by the Verve, and Mosley Shoals by Ocean Colour Scene when l was entertaining back in Bangkok. The order varied depending on the mood. If l made it that far l would head back to Massive Attack for a dose of Blue Lines. If l made it past that, l considered it a pretty good night

I don’t know those songs.

Can someone verify if the above comment is rated smooth or creepy?

Blue Lines and Mezzanine are mind blowing. 100th window is ordinary though, as is some CD I have that they did with Mad Professor :neutral:

Lep Zep wins case!

As they should, that chord progression has been around since the 17th century. One could say it’s well and truly in the public domain.

More here:

I’m not overly familiar with either band but I’m happy with the decision.

Many of Zeppelin's songs are actual or borderline rip-offs. Still love them though. Plant's lyrics are pretty much all ripped off from delta blues songs.

http://www.musictimes.com/articles/6250/20140520/7-songs-other-than-stairway-to-heaven-that-led-zeppelin-stole.htm

I like how they incorporated this into Immigrant Song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=socR0PArn-Q

Immigrant song is probably my all time favourite Led Zep song. Never heard of Lucifers Friend which surprises me because I like that music.

And they all copied Bach anyway

Was that the well tempered chord?