Stan Grants speech on racism

Brilliant.

I see that gem of a “journalist” rita panahi was on the opposing team…what a surprise…

I’m sure her counter point was equally as brilliant, eloquent, well thought out with a hint of genious…yea?

I'm not entirely sure what Stan is wanting us to do. Should indigenous people not go to jail if they commit a crime because they are over represented in prison?

The whole speech is the standard annual whinge-fest with not one solution proposed.

Thanks for clearing that up DT

I'm not entirely sure what Stan is wanting us to do. Should indigenous people not go to jail if they commit a crime because they are over represented in prison?

The whole speech is the standard annual whinge-fest with not one solution proposed.

Thanks for that Tony Andrews-Abetz

Why it’s not worth trying to argue on the internet.

Well I was going to actually argue with him… Does that response really warrant an argument.?

Thanks for clearing that up DT

Thanks for that Tony Andrews-Abetz

Why it’s not worth trying to argue on the internet.

Well I was going to actually argue with him… Does that response really warrant an argument.?

No.

so to sum up
white people have done bad thing to black people
white people still do bad things to black people

how is it any different to any other speech on the subject ?

I’m not trying to start an argument, I’m not disagreeing with anything he said, I’m just curious what you were expecting to happen cos of posting this.

pretty much most people know the whiteys treated the blackfellas badly all throughout history (maybe not to the full extent in some cases), and not just in this country.

but what is the point of repeating it, without a view to fixing things and making sure it doesn’t happen again ?

i just don’t see how essentially saying, your a racist, your history is racist and because some in society still act in a racist way makes you racist also, achieves anything. Which is essentially what’s going on. drawing the conclusion that goodes was boo’ed cos he won australian of the year and that’s the only reason he was boo’ed.

Again i’m not trying to argue with you, or get a reaction or anything like that. I’m just curious what it is that this is designed to achieve.

The speech is one of the most powerful I have ever heard.

What should be done now is a question to which nobody seems to have a clear and convincing answer.

The speech is one of the most powerful I have ever heard.

What should be done now is a question to which nobody seems to have a clear and convincing answer.

Just to point out, this is not a standard annual whinge-fest from Stan, this was not even part of Australia Day issues, the video is months old. Others have dragged it into AD which messes it up a bit.

On it’s own it is brilliant and insightful. I also do not think it is meant to supply answers, it is directed at opening the conversation more deeply.

So I encourage you Trip to put away the standard annual cynicism and approach the subject with openness and honesty.

What is so insightful about it?

oh dear Trip, why do you do this?

You wanted openess and honesty but it seems people on this forum only want a one way conversation.

I will ask two questions.

1. What was so insightful about the speech?
  2. How do you propose we reduce the rate of Aboriginal incarceration?

I await the usual abuse and accusations of racism.

Brilliant.

I see that gem of a “journalist” rita panahi was on the opposing team…what a surprise…

I’m sure her counter point was equally as brilliant, eloquent, well thought out with a hint of genious…yea?

A monkey with a typewriter could randomly produce better “journalism” than Rita Panahi.

You wanted openess and honesty but it seems people on this forum only want a one way conversation.

This from a guy who refuses to answer direct questions, evades questions at every oportunity and never provides sources for the information he has. I refuse to answer questions from a person with your integrity in debates and discussions. It is pointless, fruitless and meaningless.

You are a troll.

This from a guy who refuses to answer direct questions, evades questions at every oportunity and never provides sources for the information he has. I refuse to answer questions from a person with your integrity in debates and discussions. It is pointless, fruitless and meaningless.

You are a troll.

Thank-you for living up to all my expectations of this thread.

Ok, I will play.

What I found insightful was his personal experience, how someone who has succeeded in the eyes of society stating he did not do so because of it but despite of it.

How I propose the reduction of incarceration? Well fully re-fund the Aborigianl legal service for a start. Then implement more diversion orders as opposed to incarceration for misdemeanour crimes. Re-fund the indigenous health service with a specific focus on mental health support services and train more indigenous workers in that skill set because they are in high demand.

Haven’t watched it. Sounds like a TED talk.

Haven't watched it. Sounds like a TED talk.
It's nothing like a TED talk, not that all ted talks are bad, the genetics stuff is brilliant. It was his opening from a debate.

Ok, I will play.

What I found insightful was his personal experience, how someone who has succeeded in the eyes of society stating he did not do so because of it but despite of it.

How I propose the reduction of incarceration? Well fully re-fund the Aborigianl legal service for a start. Then implement more diversion orders as opposed to incarceration for mister meaner crimes. Re-fund the indigenous health service with a specific focus on mental health support services and train more indigenous workers in that skill set because they are in high demand.

Mate, your hearts in the right place but none of your suggestions actually get to the core of the problem which is that Indigenous peoples commit more jailable crimes than other communities. Instead you are starting with the premise that crimes will be committed and that there should be services in place to assist afterwards.

Ok, I will play.

How I propose the reduction of incarceration? Well fully re-fund the Aborigianl legal service for a start. Then implement more diversion orders as opposed to incarceration for mister meaner crimes. Re-fund the indigenous health service with a specific focus on mental health support services and train more indigenous workers in that skill set because they are in high demand.

Mate, your hearts in the right place but none of your suggestions actually get to the core of the problem which is that Indigenous peoples commit more jailable crimes than other communities. Instead you are starting with the premise that crimes will be committed and that there should be services in place to assist afterwards.

Well it does, what I’m suggesting is in more specific detail is (now please take this from someone who works with indigenous youth and young adults) their needs to me more emphasis on court and police ordered diversion options, by diversion I mean something like drug diversion order that given for minor drug possession offences to youth. Diversion orders are mandated education and councelling sessions to get to the root course of the issue and data suggests it’s very effective. Only 8% of people that go through diversion reoffend. The benefit of these workers being indigenous is huge. Stearing more of the first offenders or smaller offenders to diversion vs incarceration and then have that done by an elder I believe would have a really broad effect towards reduction of those numbers.

See hit the problem before it becomes a bigger problem.

Lol … love it …“mister meaner crimes” … you’re just trolling me now aren’t you?

Lol .. love it ..."mister meaner crimes" .. you're just trolling me now aren't you?
Auto correct hilarity