Star Wars,Rise of Skywalker FULL SPOILERS!

So what did everyone think?

I thought it was very very good. Better than i was expecting to be honest.

I was hoping was hoping for more Luke, but i did like the whole story of him being in hiding.

Abrams did a great job with the film. Disney should be throwing him piles and piles of money to direct the next one

One of the best bits was they did a great job of having both practical effects and CG. It wasn’t just cg galore likes the prequels.

I watched it over the weekend for the first time.

It was great. I loved the relics crashed in the dessert. It was the first time you could actually appreciate how big those things were (even in games like X Wing and Tie Fighter they never felt huge like the movie showed them to be).

Biggest regret is now I have to wait for more as I was planning to watch all the new ones together.

I was wondering too what all the fuss was about Rey not being available as a toy thinking she was some side character but wow, did Disney really decide no toy for Rey?

Lol. Really?

Agreed. Good balance of humour too, similar to the Trek reboots. Ren was a bit of a ■■■■■ at the end, not able to live up to Vader’s mantle and he knew it. The First Order General was a bit over the top character-wise, probably should have been an actor a bit older (the actor looked like a young David Wenham - perhaps they should have just got David Wenham instead?). Great action scenes, particularly liked the first-person view in the last X-Wing attack (enhanced by seeing it in 3D at IMAX).

Minimal C3PO, no Gungans and no ewoks. Plenty of good Han/Chewbacca lines. All in all, loved it. Great to have my love of Star Wars rekindled after the abominations that were the prequels.

I thought Ren was a very good complex bad guy. Different than the usual evil henchman.

I loved that little BB droid, every kid(and adult) is going to want to buy one!

Loved the nostalgia like the old AT-AT and star destroyers - set the scene so well.

Thought some of the big plot twists were just casually mentioned rather than announced but man, that Chewy cry will stay with me for sometime.

I liked it. Lots.

does it start off like the other star wars movies? with the song, intro text speil?

im a stickler for tradition

does it start off like the other star wars movies? with the song, intro text speil?

im a stickler for tradition

Yep, go see it.

Very well done.

Dragged a little in the middle. The death (this is a spoilers thread right?) was telegraphed big time so not too much of a shock. But otherwise great.

Very well done.

Dragged a little in the middle. The death (this is a spoilers thread right?) was telegraphed big time so not too much of a shock. But otherwise great.

Yep full spoilers thread, i just didnt put it in the first post in case someone accidently opened the thread.

I had a feeling Han would die, he always wanted to be killed in return of the jedi so i expected either he or liea would die in this. That scene was done very well. I agree, the middle dragged a bit, the ending was well done. The opening scene was awesome, just the way that ship gradually entered the screen with that music was brilliant.

Fin and Rae had great chemistry. Some of the little back and forths between them were very funny

Stop holding my hand!

Them escaping the TIE fighters in the Falcon was maybe the best sequence of the film.

Thought Brienne would get more screen time. Thought the big giant thing was kinda lame, though maybe he’s small as Yoda in reality.

Kylo Ren was as petulant as prequels-Anakin but without being completely insufferable. I liked him at lot (the voice modulation was awesome) but with him half-trained and the Rei not at all trained we went a whole SW movie without an awesome Jedi battle. Bit comical really that Fin wasn’t immediately dispatched by Ren.

ALSO Rei’s totally Luke’s daughter right? Why couldn’t they just say it?

ALSO Rei's totally Luke's daughter right? Why couldn't they just say it?

I have a feeling she isn’t his daughter but that emporer/lead bad guy’s daughter for some reason. If she was Luke’s daughter i think they would of revealed it.

I was convinced she was going to be Hans and Leia kid, so when Ren was revealed to be Hans kid it really shocked me.

No way would Luke leave his daughter on a planet like that by herself as a kid.

Hobo Luke looked like he had been eating canned food for years.

So. I haven’t seen 4,5,6 in years - and I didn’t bother with 1,2,3 after some ■■■■■■ reviews.

Is it worth going to watch 7, or should I rewatch 4,5,6 before doing so?

So I’m guessing Episode VIII will be The First Order Strikes Back?

So. I haven't seen 4,5,6 in years - and I didn't bother with 1,2,3 after some ■■■■■■ reviews.

Is it worth going to watch 7, or should I rewatch 4,5,6 before doing so?

I haven’t watched the holy trilogy in years either, have mentally suppressed the prequels and have seen none of the cartoon spin-offs (Clone Wars & Rebels - which apparently have been declared canon) and thought The Force Awakens was great. As long as you can remember the characters and general themes you’ll be fine. They don’t make too much effort to explain back-story for any of the main characters, but it’s Star Wars; if you need back-stories explained to you then you’re either an idiot or in the wrong theatre. Probably both.

ALSO Rei's totally Luke's daughter right? Why couldn't they just say it?

I have a feeling she isn’t his daughter but that emporer/lead bad guy’s daughter for some reason. If she was Luke’s daughter i think they would of revealed it.

I was convinced she was going to be Hans and Leia kid, so when Ren was revealed to be Hans kid it really shocked me.

No way would Luke leave his daughter on a planet like that by herself as a kid.

I’m hoping it’s none of the above. Plenty of people outside the Skywalker family tree were Jedis before all that midichlorian ■■■■■. I’m hoping she is just a random person who is strong with the force (perhaps her ability was enhanced/awoken due to her childhood experience of being separated from her family). If they want to expand the Star Wars universe for other story lines and spin-offs, then they need to broaden the gene pool a little.

Plus, the old “he/she is your father/brother/sister/son - GASP!” plot twist can only be trotted out so many times.

And the death scene was well-done, predictable at the time, but still well-done. Chewwy’s reaction was awesome, but part of me wanted to see him toss a couple of Storm Troopers around like ragdolls (or pull off an arm or two).

It was pretty much what I expected which is disappointing. I was worried right from the first release of the “new xwing” pic that it was going to rely too heavily on homage and i think it did.

Basically, It failed to surpeise me.

I’d been joking for weeks that they were going to kill han. I don’t think they earned that death but they did it anyway.

They telegraphed ren’s ancestry in the opening scene. The big reveal fell felt.

This movie was at its best when it was doing its own thing and focusing on Rey and fin but boy did I roll my eyes when the falcon just happened to be parked there. And while that led to the best action seen in the film from that moment on the film pandered to me rather than challenged me.

They have basically remade a new Hope and consequently I felt it was more like a remake/reboot than the next chapter in a continuing saga. This sense was probably exacerbated by the total absence of the new republic (what did they achieve in rotj again?). As a consequence the film lacked any real sense of jeopardy because you knew where it would end.

The Leia han relationship felt completely glossed over and sure it isn’t meant to be their story but by not understanding that relationship and their relationship with their son it meant han’s murder lacked any serious gravity.

It was star wars greatest hits and I wanted something bold and challenging.

In many respects I feel the brave move would have been to remake empire first and start on a downer with ren’s fall and destruction of the academy. It could have used the time to explore han’s relationship with Leia and his son. It could have set up the new republic and what it was relative to the first order and explored its ties to the resistance. Better understanding the new politics of the galaxy would have done a lot to create a sense of jeopardy in this movie which was otherwise lacking.

I’m not entirely sold on the casting of driver and thought hux was far too young to be cast as a general. Ridley and boyega nail their roles though.

My final beef is that score was a real let down but it did give me my biggest smile when it hit on an old cue when the saber chose Rey (on that, when did sabers become wands).

In many ways this film has a lot uncommon with into darkness, it is basically a remake with a few tweaks. It’s going to take all the dollars and it seems to be making people happy, I wanted it to surprise me and grip me but I can’t say it did either.

That said I still want to know more about snoke and Rey and am left hoping that the second film will stand on its own feet more. It is also has the prequels well covered.

1 Like