Star Wars,Rise of Skywalker FULL SPOILERS!

So. I haven't seen 4,5,6 in years - and I didn't bother with 1,2,3 after some ■■■■■■ reviews.

Is it worth going to watch 7, or should I rewatch 4,5,6 before doing so?

I haven’t watched the holy trilogy in years either, have mentally suppressed the prequels and have seen none of the cartoon spin-offs (Clone Wars & Rebels - which apparently have been declared canon) and thought The Force Awakens was great. As long as you can remember the characters and general themes you’ll be fine. They don’t make too much effort to explain back-story for any of the main characters, but it’s Star Wars; if you need back-stories explained to you then you’re either an idiot or in the wrong theatre. Probably both.

That’s what I was hoping to hear. I think Episode IV, V, VI were all good as stand alone movies (ie - you didn’t need to watch IV to enjoy V). The problems I thought that I, II, III (well, one of…) had was trying to get from point A to point B (or I to IV) in a somewhat logical manner and explain back stories.

Now to find time to go watch…

I absolutely ■■■■■■■ loved it.

I was transported back to being a kid. The CG was so well done and It all looked so real.

Seriously Epic. I’m going again.

Ivan, they tried “new” Star Wars. We got the prequels.

I’d prefer to see a remix of the old with new elements, than that tripe again.

Also it’s a jumping off point for the 100 Star Wars movies to come. I’m sure movies like Rogue Squadron are going to push in crazy new directions. This one was just to calm the nerves and show it’s possible to make a quality SW movie again, in a post-prequels world.

One of the best thumbs up moments in film history.

The Empire/First order really need to stop building large planet destroying battle stations that are vulnerable to Xwing attacks, have hiding spaces built in to every corridor & a shield system that can easily be destroyed or turned off from somewhere other than the main control room.

Agree with others on the criticism of Gen Hux - poor casting/acting or maybe writing but I just hated the character. He was just not convincing as a bad guy or leader.

Ivan, they tried "new" Star Wars. We got the prequels.

I’d prefer to see a remix of the old with new elements, than that tripe again.

Also it’s a jumping off point for the 100 Star Wars movies to come. I’m sure movies like Rogue Squadron are going to push in crazy new directions. This one was just to calm the nerves and show it’s possible to make a quality SW movie again, in a post-prequels world.

Yeah that is all fair enough.

I reckon they could have been more daring with this film that’s all. Instead they remade wrath of Kahn, I mean a new Hope.

Maybe they will payoff some stuff in the next one but I think establishing the republic, the Jedi academy (and then immediately destroying it) and Ben solo in the first film would have been aa better way to go

Absolutely loved it. Admittedly a fair die hard without being full Comic Book Guy levels but I’m not sure I’ve ever felt that involved in a movie, left me with a million more questions and dat transition into the sequel.

Oh and I’m in real life actual love with Daisy Ridley.

So Brienne of Tarth was Captain Phasma? Left her character largely under-developed. I assume she will have bigger parts in the future movies.

I agree with Ivan that there is a huge story missed in the fall of Ben Solo and the destruction of Luke’s Jedi Academy, but I guess they figured the original cast were too old to play the parts from that era, and they needed them in it to make the movie “not-prequel”. Also agree the Han/Ben reveal could have been left until the final confrontation (or misled with another character like Captain Phasma/General Stupidface as the distraction)

I’m just happy to have my childhood love of Star Wars back. GL really burned it there for a while.

Oh and I'm in real life actual love with Daisy Ridley.

She told me to tell you to quit stalking her on Twitter and Facebook. It’s getting creepy, and no, she does not want to see your “lightsaber”.

Also when you have a super weapon and you demonstrate it it is kind of useful for that to resonate with your characters in some real way. They blow up 5 planets and it barely raises an eyebrow. Compare that to the destruction of alderman.

Anyway

• droid escapes empire with important Intel
  • empire pursues droid
  • droid meets protagonist in the desert
  • droid/protagonist escape desert on falcon and meet rag tag bunch of helpers
  • bad guy captures protagonist and tries to extract Intel
  • big bad has big bad super weapon and plans to destroy stuff
  • rag tag helpers help rescue protagonist who has discovered she can use the force
  • big bad kills old dude
  • rebels destroy super weapon despite overwhelming odds with the help of a trench narrowly avoiding their own destruction.

Am I being overly cynical?

1 Like
Oh and I'm in real life actual love with Daisy Ridley.

She is gorgeous! Even that is not doing her proper justice

Also when you have a super weapon and you demonstrate it it is kind of useful for that to resonate with your characters in some real way. They blow up 5 planets and it barely raises an eyebrow. Compare that to the destruction of alderman.

Anyway

• droid escapes empire with important Intel
  • empire pursues droid
  • droid meets protagonist in the desert
  • droid/protagonist escape desert on falcon and meet rag tag bunch of helpers
  • bad guy captures protagonist and tries to extract Intel
  • big bad has big bad super weapon and plans to destroy stuff
  • rag tag helpers help rescue protagonist who has discovered she can use the force
  • big bad kills old dude
  • rebels destroy super weapon despite overwhelming odds with the help of a trench narrowly avoiding their own destruction.

Am I being overly cynical?

Kinda, it’s a new(ish) Star Wars and it didn’t suck!

Yaaaaayyyyyyyy!

The originals had just as many plot holes. They weren’t air tight movies, they were fun. TFA was fun.

I’m happy they didn’t show the downfall of Ben or the Jedi academy demise or more of the Han-leia relationship breakdown… Otherwise why not continue the movie at the party scene on endor in return of the Jedi… Seriously. It opens the door for something down the track which for Star Wars fans is great.

Saw it last night and loved the movie. It had more of a Star Wars feel than the prequels but created intrigue and the feel of something new with the new characters which I’m excited about. It wasn’t all about the politics and finished well while leaving the usual questions out there beautifully like the originals. Well done to JJ! Some great humour in the movie and Ford played his part brilliantly for mine. I’ll enjoy seeing Luke come into the story in the next two.

My favourite line “that’s not how the force works!” :slight_smile:

On reflection the thing that was most missing from a follow up movie to the originals was the rise of Leia the Jedi.

I was sure for 30 years that she was going to realise her power and stand with Luke but the only real reference to it was her knowing Han was dead and having a sith son.

On reflection the thing that was most missing from a follow up movie to the originals was the rise of Leia the Jedi.

I was sure for 30 years that she was going to realise her power and stand with Luke but the only real reference to it was her knowing Han was dead and having a sith son.

Leia vs Kylo Ren lightsaber battle in the next movie!

Actually if we want to nit pick … her acting was probably the low point of the movie.

The originals had just as many plot holes. They weren't air tight movies, they were fun. TFA was fun.

Plot holes is not what frustrated me, they remade a new Hope, that’s what frustrated me.

Look there was plenty of stuff to like in there and they certainly didn’t suck.

Hopefully the next one stands apart a bit more.

Leia vs Kylo Ren lightsaber battle in the next movie!

Actually if we want to nit pick … her acting was probably the low point of the movie.

You can only work with the script you were handed… her character was a lot wittier in the early movies.

The originals had just as many plot holes. They weren't air tight movies, they were fun. TFA was fun.

Plot holes is not what frustrated me, they remade a new Hope, that’s what frustrated me.

From everything I’ve read that’s what everyone who’s leaving with a positive view of the movie liked about it.