Star Wars,Rise of Skywalker FULL SPOILERS!

One part where they lost me was when Jyn suddenly becomes the motivational speaker for the Rebels and rallies the troops to the cause. Seemed like a jump too far / quick for me.

You've got to remember that Episode 1 starts straight after Rogue 1. Not sure what time period ANH runs over, let's say 2 weeks, so that's how long the Empire has to comb over a ship the size of a moon to find a 2foot wide hole. Not a lot of time I would've thought.

Yeah, but computersā€¦

Episode 4 you mean

Iā€™m sure thatā€™s what he means. From what I gather IV follows minutes after R1.

GUIs aren't quite as advanced as propulsion and weapons systems in this galaxy far, far away.

Data storage advances also appear to be sadly lacking.

Data transfer rate though, wowee
Just ruminating on the score again. It really highlights for me just how incredible Williams' work in the original trilogy is. If us like another character that carries the emotional tempo of the film's.

Here the composer had quite obviously tried to mimic Williams sound with brass and Rythem being prominent. But he fails to capture the subtle melodies that hide it the structure of the rythems and doesnā€™t quite carry the iconic character themes that Williams composed.

That said Williams didnā€™t get there again either in tfa IMO.

The score and the sound design of ANH awoke a life-long love of sound in a small child in my house.

Darth Vader is terrifying again. Like he was when he stormed onto that Corvette in ANH.

l took my wife to see it in Kuta last night. Small theatre and small kids in the audience. This was the first Star Wars movie she had ever seen, and was upset at the ending, when all the goodies, died. The first half hour was a bit too compressed, too many intergalactic jumps, from one world to the next. l kept waiting for Luke to appear, since l didnā€™t know that R1 comes before A New Hope. Not much use made of Forest Whitaker. Also the squid which examined the pilot to see if he was lying, was supposed to send him mad, as a side effect, but it didnā€™t happen. Nice to see Peter Cushing back in action as the Imperial admiral. Will need to watch it again, to sort out out the plot jumps in the first half hour, but nowhere near as good as TFA.

meh, it wasnā€™t great, wasnā€™t ā– ā– ā– ā– . just typical star wars really.

l took my wife to see it in Kuta last night. Small theatre and small kids in the audience. This was the first Star Wars movie she had ever seen, and was upset at the ending, when all the goodies, died. The first half hour was a bit too compressed, too many intergalactic jumps, from one world to the next. l kept waiting for Luke to appear, since l didn't know that R1 comes before A New Hope. Not much use made of Forest Whitaker. Also the squid which examined the pilot to see if he was lying, was supposed to send him mad, as a side effect, but it didn't happen. Nice to see Peter Cushing back in action as the Imperial admiral. Will need to watch it again, to sort out out the plot jumps in the first half hour, but nowhere near as good as TFA.

Just canā€™t abide by that

Finally saw it, and iā€™m with riolio.

Pretty soulless. Even the crappy prequels you could tell were made by someone who really really cared, even if they were ā– ā– ā– ā–  at movie-making. This was paint by the numbers, filmmaking-by-committee stuff. Star Wars has always been basically a soap opera with lasers, and though I could see what they were trying to do, trying to lever grim and gritty into the Galaxy Far Far away is a really awkward fit.

I got home from the movie 5 minutes ago and Iā€™ve already forgotten the male leadā€™s name. I was remembering even the frigging main characters as ā€˜pilot guyā€™ and ā€˜blind stick guyā€™ and ā€˜big gun guy who is obviously coded as gay married to blind stick guy to make the fangirls happy, but the marketing guys and execs refused to let them actually make this unambiguously clearā€™. When the most I remember about a character is their weapon of choice, then the movie has done a sucky job of characterisation. File off the Star Wars touchstones and easter eggs (handing out a sequence of Vader kicking butt at the end of the movie like a reward for sitting through it all) and look at it as a movie on its own merits, and it would have been utterly forgettable. This is a parasitic movie - everything good about it, it sucked from the originals.

Not a patch on Force Awakens in my book (nobody forgot Finnā€™s name, or Reyā€™s, or Kylo Renā€™s). I was pretty wary of the upcoming Young Han Solo film already, and this is exactly the reason why. An utterly cynical cashgrab made for all the wrong reasons, right up there with the worst of the licenced novels and similar crap they churned out in the early 90s.

Yeah, there were dumb plot bits at times and architecturally needless bottomless pits and the like, but star Wars has always had that stuff and i can live with it. But a Star Wars film being un-fun and un-funny and drearily serious and stuffed full of people i donā€™t give a damn about? Thatā€™s more of a problemā€¦

Why do need to make characters memorable if they all die?

Disney do if they want to sell merchandise.

Because when you donā€™t, when they die, you donā€™t give a ā– ā– ā– ā– .

Finally saw it, and i'm with riolio.

Pretty soulless. Even the crappy prequels you could tell were made by someone who really really cared, even if they were ā– ā– ā– ā–  at movie-making. This was paint by the numbers, filmmaking-by-committee stuff. Star Wars has always been basically a soap opera with lasers, and though I could see what they were trying to do, trying to lever grim and gritty into the Galaxy Far Far away is a really awkward fit.

I got home from the movie 5 minutes ago and Iā€™ve already forgotten the male leadā€™s name. I was remembering even the frigging main characters as ā€˜pilot guyā€™ and ā€˜blind stick guyā€™ and ā€˜big gun guy who is obviously coded as gay married to blind stick guy to make the fangirls happy, but the marketing guys and execs refused to let them actually make this unambiguously clearā€™. When the most I remember about a character is their weapon of choice, then the movie has done a sucky job of characterisation. File off the Star Wars touchstones and easter eggs (handing out a sequence of Vader kicking butt at the end of the movie like a reward for sitting through it all) and look at it as a movie on its own merits, and it would have been utterly forgettable. This is a parasitic movie - everything good about it, it sucked from the originals.

Not a patch on Force Awakens in my book (nobody forgot Finnā€™s name, or Reyā€™s, or Kylo Renā€™s). I was pretty wary of the upcoming Young Han Solo film already, and this is exactly the reason why. An utterly cynical cashgrab made for all the wrong reasons, right up there with the worst of the licenced novels and similar crap they churned out in the early 90s.

Yeah, there were dumb plot bits at times and architecturally needless bottomless pits and the like, but star Wars has always had that stuff and i can live with it. But a Star Wars film being un-fun and un-funny and drearily serious and stuffed full of people i donā€™t give a damn about? Thatā€™s more of a problemā€¦

Booooo.

I thought cassian was one of the more interesting, morally ambiguous and conflicted characters weā€™ve seen in a star wars film. Certainly since Han in anh.

Iā€™m a sucker for daddy/daughter day movies too.

Krennick was a different take on your standard imperial stooge, sociopath frustrated by internal politics. Probably slightly underdeveloped though.

The rest were window dressing but all the same force monkā€™s death got me in along with his mates sense of loss.

The characters probably arenā€™t helped by being given multi syllable, obtuse names.

if we are going to complain about franchise entertainment being a cynical cash grab then we may as well shut Hollywood down.

At least this film tried to be something different in the star wars universe even if it was damn bleak.

All the same there was plenty of squeeeee in it for me. Iā€™ll take some subtle (and not so subtle) fan service any day over brazen plot rehashing.

You mean like when they telegraphed Hanā€™s death from light-years away.

Lol at the shoe being in the other foot in this thread by the way

At least they remembered to include Gonk.

One mans telegraphing is another mans tragic inevitability.

Hanā€™s death is the final culmination of his character arc. When we meet him in anh he cares about nothing and nobody besides making a quick buck, and his development is all about his finding something bigger than that. His death is the end of that journey. He knows Ren wonā€™t turn back, and he knows heā€™s going to die, but he tries anyway because he loves his son and he loves Leia and he promised her heā€™d try. He walks into death willingly, out of love and for others, and that shows how far he has come from the man he was when we met him.

On the other hand, Jin and whatshisname and theotherguy and so on, they die because someone wanted rogue one to be ā€˜darker and edgierā€™ and because if they lived, then thereā€™s all these questions about where these people were during ANH.

Han died because of decisions Han made. Everyone in Rogue One dies because of decisions the scriptwriters made. And thatā€™s why I liked TFA better.

Finally saw it, and i'm with riolio.

Booooo.

I thought cassian was one of the more interesting, morally ambiguous and conflicted characters weā€™ve seen in a star wars film. Certainly since Han in anh.

Iā€™m a sucker for daddy/daughter day movies too.

Krennick was a different take on your standard imperial stooge, sociopath frustrated by internal politics. Probably slightly underdeveloped though.

The rest were window dressing but all the same force monkā€™s death got me in along with his mates sense of loss.

The characters probably arenā€™t helped by being given multi syllable, obtuse names.

if we are going to complain about franchise entertainment being a cynical cash grab then we may as well shut Hollywood down.

At least this film tried to be something different in the star wars universe even if it was damn bleak.

All the same there was plenty of squeeeee in it for me. Iā€™ll take some subtle (and not so subtle) fan service any day over brazen plot rehashing.

Yeah, nah.
Thatā€™s a crap argument.
You can still have a franchise movie and make it great. Your argument is built from straw there, man.

Again - straw.

I quite liked this take as well. First shown to be a big baddie but then revealed to be merely middle management.