State League Prospects Thread

Seeing there is a TAC Cup thread I figured it needed a State League equivalent. If you've seen someone you think is draftable running around in one of the state leagues why talk them up here. I'm sure this'll become Pazza's new favourite thread. One thing all of these batch of guys have in common is that it is their first seasons at senior state level.

Lech Featherstone - 25, 196, 89 (Forward, Coburg, VFL) - 15 goals from 6 games, 3xbests, twice best Coburg player - I know Alistair Kefford has been talked up a bit in the VFL thread, but Featherstone IMO is better, like Kefford he is also in his 1st AFL season after moving from Pascoe Vale. He is a little bit older than what you'd prefer a draftee to be, but given the lack of forwards likely to shift clubs I can see someone looking at him late or as a rookie. He dominated against the Northern Blues a few weeks back, making Carlton's Matthew Watson look stupid before Watson went off injured. He is a very strong contested mark, on one occasion he took a one handed overhead mark whilst holding his opponent off with the other hand, he is also adept marking on the lead. He seemed to tire a bit towards the end of the game, so I think despite his age one can make the case that he still has upside once he gets a proper pre-season under his belt. Has also been provisionally selected in the state side.

Shannon Taylor - 20, 178, 74 (Wing/HFF, Frankston, VFL) - 6 games, 7 goals, 3xbests - If there is one thing the side could do with it is a line breaker and Taylor is certainly that. Very quick, good evasion skills and takes the game on whenever possible. He moved over here from WA so he could be under the eyes of more recruiters, so he clearly wants to succeed. Ready and waiting for the benfti excitement machine stamp of approval.

Jake Owen - 20, 191, 82 (HF/Mid, Williamstown, VFL) - 8 games, 12 goals, 3xbests - I liked him in the 1 game I saw of him for Calder on a HBF last year, this season Williamstown have played him much more as a 3rd tall forward, with some midfield stints. He kicked 5 goals against a decent Geelong line-up on the weekend, and whilst he hasn't been as consistent as the rest there is a lot to like. He won Calder's B&F last season as an over-ager and was unlucky not to be drafted. He needs to build up the weight a little more but he presents well up forward and is a reliable shot at goal (12.3). When I saw him at TAC level he impressed me with his work in close and his ability to manoeuvre his way through traffic, so despite where he is playing now I could easily see him becoming a decent midfielder at AFL level. He also has that height factor more clubs seem to be looking for in their mids.

Shane Yarran - 25, N/A (Forward, Subiaco, WAFL) - 8 games, 16 goals - Another Benfti special. If you want X-Factor, this guy has it in droves. He's very quick, he's not quite the insane tackling machine like Charlie Cameron was but he still likes chasing guys down, averaging close to 3 tackles a game - which for the WAFL is good. He doesn't find a huge amount of the ball (only averaging 12p) but he makes them count, being quite the dead-eye when on fire (he's kicked 3, 4 and 3 goals straight). He also has a good leg on him, against Perth he was able to kick goals from 55 without hassle - no Alwyn struggling to make the distance from 40 here. It doesn't look like he even went through the Colts system so there is plenty of untapped potential there.

Of those you mention Yarran would be the pick of them for me. Beautiful kicking action especially from a set shot, kicks it straight with very little deviation. Looks quite tall also 185cm+.

I was a big fan of Jake Owen at TAC level.  You've described him well - classy player who does a lot of things well and could fit a number of roles.  I was hoping we'd take him last year.

Jake Owen sounds like Barlow :slight_smile:

Thread lacks Tippa.

Point of order, Matthew Watson (aka the bobble head doll of himself), looks stupid all the time.

We were right into Scott Simpson from Frankston in last years rookie draft. 25 y.o. 197cm 96kg. Plays as a key defender but can move into the ruck or forward. Great endurance for a big guy and good ball user.

Was drafted by Geelong in 2007 but was delisted at the end of 2009 and chose full time study plus part time footy with Frankston in 2010 over trying his luck with another AFL club.

When i heard we were into him i was sure we were going to draft him with his Geelong and Frankston links, but we chose Thurlow instead.

If he has another good season (I have no idea how he is going this year) he might be one we'll be looking at come draft season.

Thread needs more Shane Hockey

Another Benfti special. If you want X-Factor, this guy has it in droves.

Lol.
close-call.gif

Like Shannon Taylor.

Marlon Pickett too.

No love for TIPPA?!!

No love for TIPPA?!!

Players from our VFL side get plenty of coverage/love in the VFL thread. I can see how people might perceive it as a knock against Tippa, but it was more about throwing other names out there, that if they keep up their form are the sort of players we should be looking at given our deficiencies.

Frankston half-back/wingman Nic Newman won the Fothergill-Round medal today for the best prospect in the VFL under 23. 187cm, lefty who can kick, 21 years old.

Wonder if Goosey has had a chat to Dodoro about Newman; as one of our scouts. We are after all long overdue to draft a Frankston half-back. Have gone one whole season without doing so.

That's surely a description of Hibberd? 

That's surely a description of Hibberd? 

Haha, yeah I was thinking all it needed was tough as nails attack on the ball and it sounded like Hibberd.

Ben Cavarra really stood out when we played Frankston earlier this year. He’s pretty small but strong and seemed pretty quick and just kept getting the ball, disposal and decision making both seemed sound also. He played on ball, but has the tools to play forward too.

The recruitment of Fraser Thurlow has been a bit disappointing. We really needed a solid back up ruckman but I suppose our draft sanctions precluded us from getting that. Ben Brown looks solid as a forward/ruck and we probably would have nabbed him. The young guy from GWS Rory Lobb was also one who would have been handy.

Thurlow coming from a long way back IMO.

Ben Cavarra really stood out when we played Frankston earlier this year. He's pretty small but strong and seemed pretty quick and just kept getting the ball, disposal and decision making both seemed sound also. He played on ball, but has the tools to play forward too.

He can certainly find the ball, but I didn't rate his kicking as AFL standard when I saw him in the u18s last year.  If he's improved that in the VFL then he might be in with a shot.

Cavarra was the Eastern kid who won just about everything to be won, yeah (Morrish, BOG in the Tac final etc etc)?

Cavarra was the Eastern kid who won just about everything to be won, yeah (Morrish, BOG in the Tac final etc etc)?

Yeah I thought I heard a stat which was something like: "The only player to have done this previously was Sam Mitchell".

Think it was win the B'n'F every year of TAC Cup they played in or something-a-rather.