State Of The Game

I hate the fend off tackle because it’s inching dangerously to someone getting chopped around the neck which could cause something greater. Damn you Dustin Martin. Anything above the mid chest should be a free kick against. It’s not be strength, unlike a bloke that shrugs a tackle it doesn’t look good all the time.

Not related to reducing congestion, but one rule change I'd love to see is awarding 3 points for a rushed behind, whether it is by the defender or attacker. Only missed set shots should be awarded 1 pt. This rewards the attacking team that can apply pressure while also giving the defending team a choice of whether to try and gain control of the ball again at the cost of 3 points. Right now, it's a no brainer to concede the rushed behind.

It has some merit, however you’d have to specifically define a rushed behind or you’d have teams constantly punching the ball through or forcing teams to concede when they should be trying for a goalz

Not related to reducing congestion, but one rule change I'd love to see is awarding 3 points for a rushed behind, whether it is by the defender or attacker. Only missed set shots should be awarded 1 pt. This rewards the attacking team that can apply pressure while also giving the defending team a choice of whether to try and gain control of the ball again at the cost of 3 points. Right now, it's a no brainer to concede the rushed behind.

It has some merit, however you’d have to specifically define a rushed behind or you’d have teams constantly punching the ball through or forcing teams to concede when they should be trying for a goalz

“He was under pressure, so only one point.”

Also, some dumb ruckman would try to knock a ball through for his team after the siren, and therefore guarantee zero points rather than the chance for six…

Forget the major overhauls, just pay incorrect disposal every time.

If the ball is held to them (geez this is basic stuff, back to schoolyard footy), then ball-up, otherwise it’s kick or handball or free kick.

50 metres every time the man on the mark goes one friggin’ inch over the mark. No warning. No…back two metres please Barry…back two metres…Barry…oh, play on!

And if enforcing those rules isn’t enough to reduce congestion, although I think it would be, bring the boundary umpire in five metres when he throws it in.

Kicking backwards to be considered timewasting. Wouldn’t that cause panic.

Love Newman’s idea of only having 4 on 4 in the middle until it is cleared.

None of these suggestions will stop congestion. Once the ball is out of the centre then from the next stoppage it converts back to the same congestion fest.

The fundamental problem is the field is too small for 36 players. The grounds are the same size as 100 years ago but the players can cover far more territory now.

As long as you have 36 players on the field the game will tend to be congested and ugly to watch. I don’t think any field sport has 18 or more per team.

Its the congestion thats ruining the game, not the rules, the basic rules are still pretty much the same as they always were. We have to stop the congestion. Everytime I go to an AFL game live I am horrified by how everyone ends up in 1/3 of the ground. The AFL game now has a massive disconnect with the game at the lower levels, even the under 18s have a restricted zone rule that got bought in last year where by they have to have 2 players inside the forward 50 and 2 forward of center at stoppages, and the effect that that has had on the spectacle of those games is clearly noticeable.

People will say “oh you want to turn it into netball” well its getting more like Rugby and soccer by the day

Forget the major overhauls, just pay incorrect disposal every time.

If the ball is held to them (geez this is basic stuff, back to schoolyard footy), then ball-up, otherwise it’s kick or handball or free kick.

50 metres every time the man on the mark goes one friggin’ inch over the mark. No warning. No…back two metres please Barry…back two metres…Barry…oh, play on!

And if enforcing those rules isn’t enough to reduce congestion, although I think it would be, bring the boundary umpire in five metres when he throws it in.

Stuff the throw in, just walk in the 10 / 15 m and throw it up. At least then the ruckman have some idea where the hell the ball will be thrown in.

Worst season of AFL ever.

“I said in my report (in 2012) they should go to 80 and instead they went to 120.

Governance.

The only good idea is an AFL idea? We know what’s best for the game.
Its the congestion thats ruining the game, not the rules, the basic rules are still pretty much the same as they always were. We have to stop the congestion. Everytime I go to an AFL game live I am horrified by how everyone ends up in 1/3 of the ground. The AFL game now has a massive disconnect with the game at the lower levels, even the under 18s have a restricted zone rule that got bought in last year where by they have to have 2 players inside the forward 50 and 2 forward of center at stoppages, and the effect that that has had on the spectacle of those games is clearly noticeable.

People will say “oh you want to turn it into netball” well its getting more like Rugby and soccer by the day

Not just the game but also the language used about the game has changed incredibly in the past few years. I'm guessing midfield comes out of soccer and we have created scrums with all the stoppages in the AFL game which are ugly and time wasters.

The answer is staring everyone in the face.

Bring.

Back.

The.

Bump.

Will solve more than the just the congestion issue also.

None of these suggestions will stop congestion. Once the ball is out of the centre then from the next stoppage it converts back to the same congestion fest.

The fundamental problem is the field is too small for 36 players. The grounds are the same size as 100 years ago but the players can cover far more territory now.

As long as you have 36 players on the field the game will tend to be congested and ugly to watch. I don’t think any field sport has 18 or more per team.

And it’s not 36 players it’s 44.

How about you can bring a player off the ground at any time but he can only be replaced after a goal is scored, before the centre bounce. None of this arbitrary 100 or whatever rotation cap B.S. If a player needs a rest then you’re down a man until the next goal is scored.

Game looks pretty good tonight…

Low scoring though

Low scoring though

True, but exciting.

MULTIBALL!!!

Its interesting that the coaches bring up every suggestion under the sun, but never discuss reducing rotations - They should have only limited imput into any further discussion.

The one thing I don’t want is a spike in free kicks - Try to remember the 70’s when average free kicks were 80+ per game - It made for tough viewing.

Does the VFA still have no wings, 16 per side?

Surely that’s an easy trial to run, a couple times this year I’ve wondered if we weren’t doing this