Stein vs. Pears

The back six is getting very crowded. Who deserves a game more and why? Who would you back?

I’d rather give pears another chance based only on the dact i think he has a little more pace, stein seems like he’s just too in between levels for mine

Pears

Pears has genuine talent and poise, IMO.

The problem is he's put it somewhere and he can't remember where it is.

if it comes to winning a marking contest one on one, frankly, i have lost all confidence in pears. It's a shame because he was enormously promising early in his career. from what i have seen at vfl level (which admittedly isn't a great deal) i am curious to see how stein would go as a 2nd/3rd tall at the top level.

who knows, they may well decide to bring in pears as a fwd.

I like pears but i think its time for Thor to come in

Pears everyday of the week..is a good player, just needs confidence

Is our backline big enough for both Stein’s and Hurley’s hair?

Steinberg BOG in most recent VFL game. 

From all reports his actual defensive work even against much taller opposition has been excellent, whereas Pears does seem to struggle in that regard. 

Pears is only just back to playing post an achilles injury.  Cruelled with bad luck the kid. 

We have never seen Stein play a defensive role in the seniors so hard to compare. When Pears was flying he was certainly a talented player. 

Pears biggest issue is that he is 24 and should be far in front of Steinberg who is 22. Major ongoing injuries hasn't helped at all.

Question will be how much more time do you put into these two compared to putting 2 / 3 years into another 18 year old player? If thinking like this Steinberg has the nod over Pears.

I'm not convinced either will make it to be honest. 

IIRC Hooker and Pears basically were playing for the on the backline 4-5 years ago.

Pears has "arrested development"  and a bad run of injuries. Hooker also copped some injuries that make him run like he has his jock strap around his knees but he is still virtually locked in as the AA full back,  leading the competition in marks and beating most opponents.

Pears does have AFL level experience.  Steinberg has none. Is it right to bring in Steinberg in the run home to the finals ?  How fit is Pears?

If he is not fit,   maybe its time for the Stein?

This seems the most likely, but that is true of any two players picked randomly from the second side of any team in the AFL, and more so if they are both over 21.

Having said that, I'd lay a bet that >90% of posters who nominate Pears have also not seen either Pears or Steinberg play this year and probably last year as well.

Sadly, Pears looks a shadow of himself and a very long way from returning to the path he was on before injury.

Steinberg, on the other hand, is durable, has been improving steadily in his defensive post, and looks to me to be entirely capable of transitioning to AFL. However, there is no room for him in our senior side, and there only would be under a disaster scenario. If he lands with the right team I think he could have a good career.

Have to reluctantly agree.
However, Pears does have AFL experience so it'd him if I had to choose. However, his constant injuries may have his confidence well below average.
Steinberg probably has the confidence with recent 'bests' in the two's. Might have to be rewarded with a senior spot.
As for the Sydney game, have to choose Pears.

Can people stop trotting out this line that Pears is a good players just needs to regain his confidence.

He has not looked playing with any sort of confidence since what 2010? Why do we suddenly expect him to refind this confidence.

Unfortunately, given the nature of the injuries he sustained I think he will forever play with that little niggle in the back of his mind and that has robbed him of becoming the player he looked like he would become early in his career.

It is a very special kind of player that can suffer the type of injury he did and not have it affect the way they play the games, two examples I can think of are James Hird and Johnathon Brown. Most comparable to Pears' situation I can think of is Tom Lonergan and it took a very long time to come back from losing his kidney and playing good football again.

However, unfortunately for Pears, we have a very settled back 6 keeping him out.

The back six is getting very crowded. Who deserves a game more and why? Who would you back?

I don't get it, you say the back six is getting crowded and then pose a question pretty much asking which one should join the already over crowded back six ?

Considering we've lost a forward/back up ruck, maybe we should focus more on finding a forward, rather than speculating on which player out of 2 should get a game, despite no real need for them to do so yet, and neither probably will get a game.

I don't get it, you say the back six is getting crowded and then pose a question pretty much asking which one should join the already over crowded back six ?
Considering we've lost a forward/back up ruck, maybe we should focus more on finding a forward, rather than speculating on which player out of 2 should get a game, despite no real need for them to do so yet, and neither probably will get a game.
Yep, unless one goes in as a forward theyr both not needed
A foward set up with JC Ambrose and either of these two doesnt really excite me too much but hey we dont exactly have many options do we
Fantasia, edwards? Neither are tall but both can find the goals

This seems the most likely, but that is true of any two players picked randomly from the second side of any team in the AFL, and more so if they are both over 21.

Having said that, I'd lay a bet that >90% of posters who nominate Pears have also not seen either Pears or Steinberg play this year and probably last year as well.

Sadly, Pears looks a shadow of himself and a very long way from returning to the path he was on before injury.

Steinberg, on the other hand, is durable, has been improving steadily in his defensive post, and looks to me to be entirely capable of transitioning to AFL. However, there is no room for him in our senior side, and there only would be under a disaster scenario. If he lands with the right team I think he could have a good career.

Ted Richards, anyone .? As in getting an opportunity, not necessarily getting a premiership medallion

I have watched both players for the whole preseason and the VFL.  Pears form is stagnant.  He was a great player in 2010 but not much since.  Finds it hard to keep up with a fast leader and can't outmark a taller opponent.  Has been tried on the forward line in the VFL without success hardly troubling the scorers. Appears that he is one of those players who has been very unlucky with injury.

Steinberg can play both ends.  Looked really good as a forward in the preseason and has been consistent and effective as a backman often against taller opponents.  His fitness has improved and he did very well in the preseason time trial around Princes Park.  Durable body is pretty injury free and he has the x factor of being able to take a high mark. His form over the last three years has shown a steady improvement.

I have asked a number of people why he hasn't been elevated and the best I can come up with is that he is an in between size which is a pretty weak answer.  Looking at his strong build he may even make a good tagger if he keeps working on his endurance.

For mine Pears has had many chances and is not improving. I would like to see what the younger Steinberg can do in the seniors should a vacancy arise.

Is our backline big enough for both Stein's and Hurley's hair?

Only at the MCG / Subiaco. Would cause way too much congestion at the SCG