Stein vs. Pears

This should be a poll...

Stein                                         Pears

excellent overhead                   average overhead

strong in the contest                sooks when pushed out

low, hard  bullet passes           loopy passes 

x-factor goal kicking                good set shot 40m max

Not sure, Stein has never been given a chance.

Not a VFL watcher but always happy to see people given a chance. 

Poor Pears, but his days of toweling up Fevola were a LONGGGG time ago. 

Reckon with Pears it’s a ‘sense of belonging’ and confidence thing. He is definitely not a fwd that’s for sure, he would be next in line for that third tall back spot and he’d be good if given the chance to build. It’s really about how we fit Carlisle, TBell/Paddy, Joe and Ambrose into the fwd line and if we send one back instead post Fletch.

Steinberg equally has a place with us IMO and really should be the one playing at both ends. He has the attributes and fills a position where depth is required. Anything is possible with him.

I would probably go with stein, pears hasn’t played good footy since 2009.

Though i would rather go with neither and start dell.

If Ambrose was to get injured I would swap him with stein.

Bring in stein, so some farkstick commentator can fark up his name.

Steinberg without doubt. I don't trust Pears defensively anymore, which is a pity because he was so promising. Outmarked too easily and not as strong as he looks.

Steinberg is a good mark, plays taller than his size, seems to have good head on his shoulders, and is a great intercept mark - reads the play real well. I reckon he'd do well at senior level and in fact reckon he'll make it. Bonus is that he can play forward too.

Was really looking forward to watching Stein in the NAB Cup because everyone was talking him up like the next champion.

Then he sucked.

You pick whoever is in the best form. From all reports that’s easily Stein.

Was really looking forward to watching Stein in the NAB Cup because everyone was talking him up like the next champion.
Then he sucked.

To be fair they played him as a forward in the NAB and all the raps on him were about his backline reading of the play and marking, but having said that he looked superbly unathletic and seemed to have little agility for a guy who would have to play on small as well as talls at AFL level. Still I wouldn't mind if they give him an AFL game or two to see if he can make the step up.

I have watched both players for the whole preseason and the VFL.  Pears form is stagnant.  He was a great player in 2010 but not much since.  Finds it hard to keep up with a fast leader and can't outmark a taller opponent.  Has been tried on the forward line in the VFL without success hardly troubling the scorers. Appears that he is one of those players who has been very unlucky with injury.

Steinberg can play both ends.  Looked really good as a forward in the preseason and has been consistent and effective as a backman often against taller opponents.  His fitness has improved and he did very well in the preseason time trial around Princes Park.  Durable body is pretty injury free and he has the x factor of being able to take a high mark. His form over the last three years has shown a steady improvement.

I have asked a number of people why he hasn't been elevated and the best I can come up with is that he is an in between size which is a pretty weak answer.  Looking at his strong build he may even make a good tagger if he keeps working on his endurance.

For mine Pears has had many chances and is not improving. I would like to see what the younger Steinberg can do in the seniors should a vacancy arise.

THIS.

STEIN.

I've been getting a strange inkling that TRB may think a fit and firing Pears is the missing piece to the back line. And the answer to the ongoing Hurley/Carlie forward/back debate.

Bomber hinted during a press conference a few weeks back about a forward line consisted of all three of Daniher, Hurls and buckets could be an option. To do that we need a player to take the role Hurls has been playing, that player could only be Pears.

It would make for one potent forward line. How Paddy Ambrose then fits in I dunno. A hit up forward flanker like Tarrant was in his later years maybe. Dragging his opponent upfield, running them into the ground and giving marking options out of defence.

Stein on the other hand, I like the kid and hope he gets another season, although would prefer seeing him play forward in the 2nds and allow him to grow into the role.

Give the Steinberger a go! Want to see the #25 again. 

If we can help Pears get to another club next year who sees a spot for him, then I’d be happy.

Not for trade values sake, because he has no value now.

He deserves to play senior footy, and at 24-25, that needs to happen now.

It won’t happen at Essendon.

Promote Stein next year and get him some games as the 3rd tall defender.

IMO, Fletch should play a modified season next year.

12 H&A games sounds about right for Fletch , so Stein should get plenty of opportunity (if he’s good enough).

The flexibility of our talls (Jake/Hurls/Stein forward/back), (TBC/Ryder/JD ruck/forward) means we can cover most contingencies, and rotate/rest players as is necessary.

Back on topic, I hope they select Stein for the Sydney game.

A 4 year apprenticeship is plenty enough.

Let’s see how he goes against the best !

This should be a poll...

Stein                                         Pears

excellent overhead                   average overhead
strong in the contest                sooks when pushed out
low, hard  bullet passes           loopy passes 
x-factor goal kicking                good set shot 40m max

I‘m confused, that last bit for Pears was half-complimentary. How will we decide now?

Stein and Pears are the same size as Ted Richards. Steinberg is hard at the ball and can do the unexpected. Judging him on one senior pre-season game is hasty. His VFL form tops Pears easily. Pears has been playing forward probably in the hope he can take a forward spot in the seniors. He hasn’t shown any great form there and his ability to get to the ball does not match Hardingham’s. He’s behind a few others in the line-up.

I still have faith in Jetta.

I still have faith in Pears.
But I had faith in Gumbleton.
And I had faith in Laycock.
Oh and I had faith in Berbakov.
But I never had faith in Nash.

I raise you faith in Cransberg.

(And put in another reluctant vote for Stein.   Love Pears, but he hasn't got it back since his many injuries.  I've watched a couple of VFL games this year,  and Stein was one of the standouts both games.)

I still have faith in Pears.
But I had faith in Gumbleton.
And I had faith in Laycock.
Oh and I had faith in Berbakov.
But I never had faith in Nash.

So if we keep you away from KPPs, like peeto from small forwards, we'll be good?

I think Pears would be a great FF.