Stein vs. Pears

Is Steinberg just an undersized Key position player though? (Tyson Slattery style?)

On the few times I’ve seen him, he has looked very good in the air against bigger opponents, but looked slow, and like he has the turning circle of a post knee injury Anthony Daniher.

If he comes in to take the ‘Fletcher role’ eventually, he’s going to get many match ups on a more agile opponent. Is he up for that?

So, who is better suited to take the Third Tall types, Stein or Pears?

Defensively I prefer Stein. I like his desperation, nimble-ness, and he obviously stays uninjured…As for the NAB performance, yeah he botched it, but maybe nerves were a factor after a multi-year build up.

Pears is probably better when starting a rebound, charting a way through broken play. But that is only valuable if you thwart the initial attack.

whycan'twehaveboth.jpg

Was really looking forward to watching Stein in the NAB Cup because everyone was talking him up like the next champion.
Then he sucked.

Yeah, the team was awesome in the pre-season. Even dropping him from the Punt Road game didn‘t stop us getting slaughtered.
I reckon Steinberg would have scraped together more than 6 goals if he‘d been granted 12 games this year.

I'm not convinced either will make it to be honest.

This seems the most likely, but that is true of any two players picked randomly from the second side of any team in the AFL, and more so if they are both over 21.

Having said that, I'd lay a bet that >90% of posters who nominate Pears have also not seen either Pears or Steinberg play this year and probably last year as well.

Sadly, Pears looks a shadow of himself and a very long way from returning to the path he was on before injury.

Steinberg, on the other hand, is durable, has been improving steadily in his defensive post, and looks to me to be entirely capable of transitioning to AFL. However, there is no room for him in our senior side, and there only would be under a disaster scenario. If he lands with the right team I think he could have a good career.

Ted Richards, anyone .? As in getting an opportunity, not necessarily getting a premiership medallion
I didn't say it in this post, but if Stein does change clubs and turn into a better-than-average player then I reckon I will claim the Ted Richards comparison. I think I was the first to say he might "do a Ted Richards on us" in the VFL thread (or, at a minimum, one of the first to say it on this board).

I still have faith in Jetta.

He's just down on confidence...

I don't need to give my answer to the thread question, but I will anyway: Steinberg.

Love to be wrong, but don’t see Pears, Stein or Gregory (early days I know) ever making it.

This should be a poll...

Stein                                         Pears

excellent overhead                   average overhead
strong in the contest                sooks when pushed out
low, hard  bullet passes           loopy passes 
x-factor goal kicking                good set shot 40m max

I‘m confused, that last bit for Pears was half-complimentary. How will we decide now?

You have to decide 

your the sauce of my clumsy observations

Being chief VFL broadcaster whats your views on this vital discussion?

Not a VFL watcher but always happy to see people given a chance. 

Poor Pears, but his days of toweling up Fevola were a LONGGGG time ago. 

You're onto something.  The correct answer to the OPs question is Darcy Daniher.

In between size who can play forward or back!

The forwards Pears played well agsinst were the shorter and stockier types (Fevola and Bradshaw), these types of players don’t exist anymore. Most forwards these days are 195cm +, this is not good for Pears.

Fletch used to tower over key forwards, but this is no longer the case.

I have not seen Steinberg play, so can’t comment.

Love to be wrong, but don't see Pears, Stein or Gregory (early days I know) ever making it.

How many people said that about Colyer 6 weeks ago?

Love to be wrong, but don't see Pears, Stein or Gregory (early days I know) ever making it.

No doubt, here's hoping they can make it happen like he has!

the more we trash players, the more likely theyll become superstars

Anyway, I vote Stein. 

DJR, how are his hands these days?  A couple of years back I thought he was actually very clean, even at ground level, such that I figured he might one day make a mid if he developed the tank for it.  No idea if that's a possibility at all, but he seems to have developed fairly consistently as a defender.  Fingers crossed he ends up being a gun.

Short term, I’d love to see Stein given a go if an opportunity arises. From reports he has performed better than Pears, it would be nice to see him, and playing even one AFL game gets him a whole heap of AFLPA benefits as an AFL player. So definitely Stein.
In the longer term, I don’t think it is just between him and Pears. I think we should be keeping two of Pears/Stein/Hardy and DVU. With the development of Dalgiesh/Ashby/Gleeson/Winders as smaller defensive options, I think we should be focussing on who can cover medium-tallish forwards, or act up forward in a pinch.
For me, a fundamental issue with Pears is do I trust his body? Has he ever had an injury free season? Could you really assume he’ll be available in the firsts? If not, he has to be a LOT better than his competition, and I don’t think he is. As has been suggested I would try and trade him for a bag of chips to a team with a defensive deficiency. Opens a spot for us, they may get a good player.
If the coaches don’t think Gregory will be ready to play next year I would drop him down to the rookie list as well.
I would probably keep Stein and DVU, both on one year contracts. Use the freed up slots on two talls, one main list one rookie.

I’ve been getting a strange inkling that TRB may think a fit and firing Pears is the missing piece to the back line. And the answer to the ongoing Hurley/Carlie forward/back debate.

Bomber hinted during a press conference a few weeks back about a forward line consisted of all three of Daniher, Hurls and buckets could be an option. To do that we need a player to take the role Hurls has been playing, that player could only be Pears.

It would make for one potent forward line. How Paddy Ambrose then fits in I dunno. A hit up forward flanker like Tarrant was in his later years maybe. Dragging his opponent upfield, running them into the ground and giving marking options out of defence.

Stein on the other hand, I like the kid and hope he gets another season, although would prefer seeing him play forward in the 2nds and allow him to grow into the role.

Why only Pears? Steinberg is the same height and VFL reports have had him performing much better than Pears in the key defensive roles.

The back six is getting very crowded. Who deserves a game more and why? Who would you back?

I don't get it, you say the back six is getting crowded and then pose a question pretty much asking which one should join the already over crowded back six ?
Considering we've lost a forward/back up ruck, maybe we should focus more on finding a forward, rather than speculating on which player out of 2 should get a game, despite no real need for them to do so yet, and neither probably will get a game.
Yep, unless one goes in as a forward theyr both not needed
A foward set up with JC Ambrose and either of these two doesnt really excite me too much but hey we dont exactly have many options do we
Fantasia, edwards? Neither are tall but both can find the goals

ill admit i didnt really think this one through. sorry

BTW, according to the AFL site (take it with a pinch of salt), Richards is 1cm taller than Pears and Steinberg, who are both 191cm.

BTW, according to the AFL site (take it with a pinch of salt), Richards is 1cm taller than Pears and Steinberg, who are both 191cm.

Richards was 190cm at Essendon.  Good on him for growing 2 cm at 25.  :)

I think Pears would be a great FF.

BUDDY-LIKE

the more we trash players, the more likely theyll become superstars

Then Jetta should become that best player of all time pretty soon