Stephen Milne's hat

Stephen Milne wears an indecent assaulter's hat but it's no longer alleged.

Song sucks now.

UPDATE: DISGRACED ex-St Kilda footballer Stephen Milne has avoided a 10-day rape trial, pleading guilty to indecently assaulting a woman a decade after she first alleged he attacked her.

The plea to the lesser charge came after the Office of Public Prosecutions today dropped three charges of rape.

His guilty plea brings to an end an ugly saga that had seen Milne protest his innocence for a decade.

Milne, who gave his occupation as unemployed, was supported at the Victorian County Court by wife Melissa and former teammates Nick Riewoldt and Lenny Hayes.

The 34-year old had faced three rape charges over the alleged rape of a university student in 2004.

He was accused of raping the 19-year-old at a Highett home that was shared by teammates Leigh Montagna and Justin Koschitzke, after a St Kilda family day.

Milne was scheduled to face a 10-day trial this month.

In August, his lawyer, Ruth Shann, told Judge Michael Bourke her client had been 'very eager" to avoid any delays in the trial starting. She indicated at the time that his defence team might argue Milne could not get a fair trial because of alleged police mishandling of the investigation.

An earlier committal hearing was told that Milne's accuser had believed she was having sex with Montagna.

383233-48ca1674-6544-11e4-a310-49154a12f

Former AFL footballer Stephen Milne arrives at the County Court for his rape case hearing. Picture: Hamish Blair

She and a female friend had been sharing a bed with the two players in a darkened room at the Highett home.

Montagna told the hearing he believed no one had been forced to have sex against their will on the night.

The Melbourne Magistrates‘ Court heard last year that Milne allegedly told his victim she was a "dirty girl".

The claim came from the mother of the victim on the first day of Milne's hearing over the rape charges.

At that hearing, the court heard the woman received a number of text messages from one teammate apologising for Milne's behaviour, explaining "he was real drunk and didn't mean it".

Former AFL footballer Stephen Milne leaves court with wife Melissa after he pleaded guilty to indecent assault. Picture: Hamish Blair

Prosecutor David Cordy said once the woman discovered it was Milne and left the home, Montagna sent her a series of apologetic text messages, including one that said: "Sorry 'bout what happened tonight. I thought you knew it was him and not me."

Another allegedly said, "He thought you knew it was him that was with you, not me. Sorry."

448906-1a9bfc58-654a-11e4-a310-49154a12f

Retired St Kilda star Lenny Hayes and Saints captain Nick Riewoldt at court to support former team mate Stephen Milne. Picture: Hamish Blair

The court heard the woman and her friend, both sober, met up with an intoxicated Milne and Montagna after they were refused entry to a St Kilda nightspot following boozy Family Day club celebrations.

Mr Cordy said the complainant had consensual sex with Montagna at the home he shared with teammate Justin Koschitzke, while her friend had consensual sex with Milne.

She then allegedly entered a darkened room with the other three and began kissing Milne, believing it was Montagna.

Mr Cordy said the young woman repeatedly told the accused, still believing it was Montagna, she did not want to have sex, saying, "Leigh, remember last time".

Milne allegedly said, "Do you want me to be a good guy about this?" The court heard she replied: "Yes, I do not want to have sex". Mr Cordy said the woman went to the bathroom and cried when she discovered she was with Milne, telling her friend: "I thought it was Leigh, I thought it was Leigh."

"I kept saying no, but he kept putting it in," she allegedly said. The woman complained to police later that day.

Montagna allegedly told police there was no agreement to swap partners and that there was no way the woman believed he was Montagna and he thought she was jealous.

The case has been marred by controversy and suddenly collapsed just days after speculation that police were on the verge of charging the two players. Former detective Sen-Det Scott Gladman claimed that a rape charge in 2004 against Milne collapsed amid a campaign of threats and intimidation from inside Victoria Police and by powerful club backers.

469529-f1b7db1e-654d-11e4-a310-49154a12f

Leigh Montagna outside the Melbourne Magistrates‘ Court in November last year.

Chief Commissioner at the time, Simon Overland, described the allegations as "extremely serious (and) would be cause for deep concern". In 2012, the Office of Police Integrity backed the decision not to charge the former Saints star with rape.

Its report on the case stated the original brief of evidence against Milne was sufficient for the Director of Public Prosecutions to make the decision. The DPP recommended to Victoria Police that Milne not be prosecuted on the grounds there was no reasonable chance of a conviction.

Milne was not charged until June last year following a fresh investigation into the matter.

[email protected]

He will always be remembered for the other hat though.

Arsehat?

Poor stephen. He made a mistake years a go, when he was drunk. All the abuse he kept copping must be hard to put up with compared to say, i dunno, living with the fact youve been violated sexually in some way.

Andy Lovett can feel fairly hard done by. More innocent than a bloke who got 9 seasons of footy after a now proven allegation (of sorts).

Oh well it’s still funny that he squibbed a bounce and cost his team a flag.

Poor stephen. He made a mistake years a go, when he was drunk. All the abuse he kept copping must be hard to put up with compared to say, i dunno, living with the fact youve been violated sexually in some way.

Indeed, and I can understand him denying any wrongdoing years ago as well, I mean, the fact that the young Lady involved could have been spared the court appearances and actually gained some closure pale in comparison to Stevie's then burgeoning career.

Did Lovett not lock his girlfriend in a car or something though? I can’t remember, I could be wrong.

Did Lovett not lock his girlfriend in a car or something though? I can't remember, I could be wrong.

Yeah, that does ring a bell now you mentioned it. I remember a game against st.kilda (strangely enough) he got called a wife beater or something by one of their players.
Still Milne got a far more prefential treatment than Lovett, however now reminded Lovett did not have the cleanest of pasts so maybe the treatment was justified to some extent.

He knows what he is. 

Not going to lie, I thought his wife looked like Kim Duthie.

Indeed, and I can understand him denying any wrongdoing years ago as well, I mean, the fact that the young Lady involved could have been spared the court appearances and actually gained some closure pale in comparison to Stevie's then burgeoning career.

...think you might've just missed that one

Yeah but the important thing is that I tried.

Did Lovett not lock his girlfriend in a car or something though? I can't remember, I could be wrong.

Was he trying to emulate former Cat Michael "Windows" Turner?

Can't imagine an AFL footballer today doing what Turner did and get off scott free ..... times change

Was he trying to emulate former Cat Michael "Windows" Turner?
Can't imagine an AFL footballer today doing what Turner did and get off scott free ..... times change
Franklin's allowed to get on the magic powder and have car accidents, no one seems to give two ■■■■■.

Two ■■■■■, no. 

Ten million bucks, yes. As long as they are Snydey.

hj99L0r.png

Is the stranger bit meant to make it better or worse?

Miwney.

"too much to drink"

What a contemptible defence.

hj99L0r.png

gee and defence lawyers wonder why many think they are absolute scum.

I myself have been a young man, who had too much to drink on many occasions, and on those occasions I met many strangers, and yet I was still somewhow able to get by without sexually assualting a single one of them.

Here's an idea Phillip Dunn QC, why doesn't your client admit that he chose to drink too much, and as a result this might have affected his decision making ability and as a result he committed a truly horrible act, which he feels might be out of character for himself.

For me though that does not mitigate the crime whatsoever, unless he can prove someone else got him so intoxicated, against his will, that his decision making ability was grossly compromised.