Stringer Thread II - 10,000 posts was Not Enough

Bonafide leader?
Like Stanton was?

17 rounds still is 'fixā€™ture. Some clubs will have more interstate travel than others, some Victorian clubs will have more away games against other Melbourne based teams.

It will never be an fair fixture unless itā€™s 34 rounds.

3 Likes

So pumped to see Stringer breaking through tackles & exploding away from stoppages.

Only need to see some of those highlights to see how destructive he will be in midfield.

Dogs already none too happy he is gone. Will be more so if he transitions into being a topline mid.

2 Likes

How shattered the Dogs supporters are about his departure tells you a lot about how good of a player he is.

2 Likes

I was just thinking that ā€¦

He might want to ring Uncle Thorold to ask him how good Bill Hutchison wasā€¦

Or he could ask me about Charlie Payne.

4 Likes

Stanton was a bonafide leader and an example of elite physical preparation. He is now on the Carlton coaching payroll.

So yes.

7 Likes

After watching that highlights package again, I agree.

Complete player.

1 Like

I wa at that game. I thought it was 14 and 10?

1 Like

4, surely.

But yeah thatā€™s going to be a huge day for him, especially if (when) he turns it on.

1 Like

Played golf with the girlfriends dad a few weeks ago and he brought Charlie Payne along. Heā€™s a ripper.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s his number? Whatā€™s his name?
Number 7, Charlie Payne

4 Likes

Has he nominated us yet?

6 Likes

Itā€™s like a dream.

Still canā€™t work out how Dodoro pulled off all three.

You read some criticism on here about Dodoro but if we get a flag in the next few years I think he can take a great deal of credit for it.

8 Likes

Charlie Payne: Forward or back?

5 Likes

Iā€™ll gladly admit that I was critical of him pre trade period and pre the three SSS nominating us, and I certainly had my reservations as to how heā€™d get them to Essendon. But heā€™s made me eat my words and good on him. Heā€™s done extraordinarily well in what was balls on the line kind of stuff. The strategy and execution of it was outstanding.

Off topic - I also think that Woosha deserves a bit of credit as well. He is obviously appealing enough for players to want to come over.

6 Likes

Watson didnā€™t play that game; he was still doing his loooong pre-season.

It was roughly CD first quarter (later went to the midfield), Kickett second quarter (sent forward in the second half), Hird from the third quarter onwards. Hird conceded goals at a similar rate, but at least he played aggressively and provided plenty of rebound.

Harvey was forward at the start of the last quarter, not sure what the thinking was there for our usual CHB. He missed the next week, maybe he was carrying an injury.

(Fletcher was on Neeld and Oā€™Reilly, at least in the last quarter.)

Salmon was clearly injured at the start of the last quarter and went off half-way through the quarter, just as Ablett kicked his thirteenth goal to put Geelong in front. Within a minute Ablett goaled again, for the last time. Alessio replaced Salmon at full-forward and kicked successive goals to extend our lead from 6 to 18 and confirm the win.

Wanganeen takes THAT mark with six minutes to go, knocks himself silly, and goes off.

[Why yes, I have just watched the highlights and then full last quarter. THE NAME OF THE GAMEā€¦ IS AUSTRALIAN.]

Ablett 25 kicks, 21 scores, 0 handballs. Two of those non-scoring kicks were in the last and were inaccurate snaps at goal around the body. Greedy.

9 Likes

Yeah, I had my reservations with Woosha when we brought him on board. I wasnā€™t sure if tactically he was up to it and whether he was to conservative for what we needed.

I can happily say that Iā€™m thoroughly impressed with what heā€™s done in such a short time.

Iā€™m probably going against the grain with what most want but I think this attacking brand of football is the right direction.

We obviously still need to improve our defensive side but that will come.

I still think we have a good 15-20% improvement in us and that puts us in flag contention.

3 Likes

Didnā€™t Woosha say at some point in the past few weeks that defence would be a big focus over this off-season?

1 Like

Yep