Stringer Thread II - 10,000 posts was Not Enough

Xavier Campbell is the man.

What a job he has done.

Don’t underestimate the respect we also got from opposition players regarding the way we showed resilience and integrity in our darkest hour.

And still the fans came.
Then we play this awesome footy in 2017.

Who wouldn’t want to be part of our future?

20 Likes

No one goes from 7 to 5.

Merrett could end up being one of the top 10 players of our club, he has the right and the ability to create history in his own number.

Number 7 is a great number.

4 Likes

I got some numbers:
Champion data still had him, in a supposedly poor 2017 season, as above above in score assists and 1.5 goals a game.

This is in a team that only averaged 80 points a game.

Just so pumped to see him play for us.

1 Like

Goes down in Bomber folklore with the ‘Take me on Take me on Take me on’ line in the GF.
Very impartial caller considering his own team was getting shot down in flames.
Oh, Fark Calton

1 Like

Something wrong with the forum, this thread’s supposed to have 300+ new replies each time you long on.

6 Likes

Totally agree with this. As I understand it, Xavier played a massive role in changing the list management strategy. This is the benefit of having a young and pragmatic CEO.

2 Likes

I love Stanton because he is Essendon, but let’s give an honest assessment of him.
I call him the slow stepper, always pulled up before the hard contest, Stanton wasn’t even close to the likes of TD’s or Hirds shadow,
When you look back it’s not like your going to say we have to to give number 5 to a champion player like TD Hird STANTON.

2 Likes

Because he still hasn’t nominated us!

2 Likes

That is absolute slander.

Stants was many things. Sure, he wasn’t at TDs or Hird’s level - but who is? And he played more of an outside run-and-carry role because that was what he was good at, and his mental strength and relentless gut running right to the end of the final quarter won us many, many games, but in an unobtrusive thousand-cuts kind of way that didn’t get him as much recognition outside the AFL system than he got inside it.

And I absolutely defy you to give me details about all those times where he supposedly didn’t go when he had to. If he’s THAT soft and ALAYS pulled up, it shouldn’t be too hard for you to come up with a clip or two, should it? Unless it’s rubbish, of course.

I thought we got over all these bullshit myths about Stanton years ago.

52 Likes

Think you are being tough on Brent Stanton, suggesting that he didn’t go in hard.

He played over 250 games and was consistently our best or one of the best over the past ten tough years.

He is a champion in my book, and like Sambo, TD, and Sir James a worthy No. 5.

24 Likes

My greatest memory of Stants is him backing back into an oncoming pack, eyes only for the ball, getting crunched and consequently subbed off just before halftime one day at Etihad against the Eagles and the utterly disgraceful response from certain “supporters” of our club in the Level 1 members section at the announcement that he’d been subbed off due to injury.

Possibly my most embarrassing and saddest day to be a Bomber fan despite a come from behind 16 point win.

The vitriol that he received that day from a large section of our fanbase, because of a couple of turnovers in the centre of the ground before that ultimately courageous act, is something that has lived with me since unfortunately.

I’ve had words since that day with fellow supporters sitting around me each time he’s copped abuse, shut them up real quick.

Another of my favourite memories of Stants were the long running goals from the 50 mtr line or beyond that he seemed to regularly score against Fark Carlton, I hope that he shows their players these constantly in his new development role there.

19 Likes

I got absolutely hammered for suggesting Leroy wasn’t quite as courageous as he could have been at Etihad about five years ago. I stood by it.

I wouldn’t have called Stants soft. What frustrated me about him was his lack of peripheral vision in that he kicked into “the man” too often for someone of his experience.

Soft, no! Soft players don’t keep running till they’re exhausted.

3 Likes

Don’t take what I said about Stanton wearing No 5 out of context on the back of giving Stringer no 5.
It’s my opinion which like everyone I am allowed, you may not agree with my take on Stanton, great clubman but I say it like I see it, all those jeers from our supporters must have been for another player countless times…

Generally for clanger kicks or kicking into oncoming players.

And I also thought the same of Jetta

Being somehow entitled to an opinion doesn’t make it true.

2 Likes

His shoulder was injured before he went back into that pack!

4 Likes

Played a bit of cricket with Charlie, (many years back), he is a great bloke have not seen him in long while.

1 Like

My clearest memory of the game is grenvold coming from the forward flank corner of the centre square at a centre bounce and swatting the ball cleanly to Mercs who rold to 50. Can’t remember from there whether he goaled or spotted up a target

Incidently you can find the whole 93 Foster’s cup final against the tigers on YouTube.

2 Likes