Stringer Thread II - 10,000 posts was Not Enough

I was at the game and obviously it was along time ago, and everyone carried on with the boo ing of him and maybe there were sections who boo’ed him.
It always felt to me that more people cheered the fact he was subbed off, moreso than boo’ed him.

yes one can argue semantics on it’s the same premise, and again maybe my memory is playing tricks.

and people used to say i hated stanton, they obviously never went to games, cos he copped way worse than anything i ever said about him, at games. granted alot of our players copped it too, so it wasn’t a single player x out type thing.

1 Like

Didn’t learn the right values growing up, I reckon. And, I hear it’s something that has been prevalent a long time in all clubs.

2 Likes

I was there too, and in the section I was in, it was definitely jeering, not cheering.

Essendon media machine during trade period

“He was AA 2 years ago, and is carrying a lot of baggage”

Essendon media machine after trade period

“He was AA only 2 years ago and is still only 23 years old”

3 Likes

Or Just ESSerection man …he’s given a few one already …

“Antler announces new player personal sponsorship.”

1 Like

Yeah, but Antler.

Stringer no longer needs to carry any baggage, he now just rolls on by.

stringer baggage

5 Likes

It’s because afl doesn’t retire numbers

If that was the case the only guernseys available would be #50 onwards

Has there ever been a #0 for the efc?

When is he back in oz? Can’t wait to see him donning the sash at Tulla and getting asked 100 questions by the media.

The media crowd will be bigger than the biggest crowd he has played in front of.

7 Likes

So… over 90,000?

That GF is ruining my joke

13 Likes

I got it

Not sure if it’s been posted in this thread before but interesting video from Stringer’s draft year -

• wore no. 15 as a junior (and 39 at state?)
  • modelled game after Goddard (and Pavlich)
  • unsure at that stage whether he wanted to be a forward or mid
  • that broken leg photo is a shocker!
7 Likes

Was there too

Can agree it was massively overplayed
Prior to being subbed Stants took a few short steps in a contest which didn’t sit well with quite a few in the audience

Just another media best up

Hmmm, looking at his TAC highlights he’s very comfortable on the ball and distribution/disposal/efficiency is top self. And that leg break! Gee, how long was he out with that!? Hasn’t impacted his speed etc.

If he has a big leg break he could be in the Ashes this season.

3 Likes

Could be a Warne-ing.

1 Like

“Idolised” Goddard! Hopefully BJ takes him under his wing and sorts him out.

WTF? He kicked himself in the back of the leg and broke his tibia and fibia? How is that even possible?

2 Likes

that plus stants was in bad form in general again from a sketchy memory and the general vibe towards him at the time was turning from he’s a superstar, to he’s a one way runner with questionable skill and decision making.
and due to said poor form, the belief he was subbed for it created the situation where the crowd cheered or whatever in delight at the fact he was subbed off.

and it didn’t make sense at the time to me, cos if it was booing, then wouldn’t or couldn’t it have been considered people were boo ing the fact he was subbed ?? which would indeed be the opposite context to what people believe it was about ?

again it’s just semantics to a degree, cos the end result was to show displeasure at stanton and his performances, rightly or wrongly.

1 Like