Stuff To Do In QLD

Mrs diggers, jnr diggers #1 & #2 and I are planning a trip to Qld.

The only non negotiable on our itinery is the Brisbane International.

All the worlds are up for grabs.

That reef you have might also be worth a look before C Newman mines it.

Any other suggestions?

Tips for new players?

Places to avoid due to probable flooding?

Rimfya

Queensland’s a big place, be more specific?

Avoid Gold Coast, there’s nothing to see in Brisbane. I’d go Sunshine Coast if you’re in SEQ otherwise head up towards Whitsundays or further north.

Do what they do Digs. Go somewhere else.

Do what they do Digs. Go somewhere else.

Rich. There's only about a thousand Victorians moving here very week.

If I could afford it, I might even consider it myself.

got kids.. dont avoid Gold Coast. Get em to Sea World or Dreamworld they'll love it.

Take em to Toowoomba and they'll die of boredom.

Cairns is where to go, the rest is rubbish.  

got kids.. dont avoid Gold Coast. Get em to Sea World or Dreamworld they'll love it.

Just shield the kids eyes and ears outside of the theme parks. Also watch where you walk, wear hard shoes at all times and don't go out at night. Or at all. Anywhere. GC is such a tip. It looks like a place that was probably amazing 20 years ago but in reality it was probably a tip then as well.
Also correct Toowoomba will bore your kids to death on holiday but there'd be few better places to raise them.

Just shield the kids eyes and ears outside of the theme parks. Also watch where you walk, wear hard shoes at all times and don't go out at night. Or at all. Anywhere. GC is such a tip. It looks like a place that was probably amazing 20 years ago but in reality it was probably a tip then as well.
Also correct Toowoomba will bore your kids to death on holiday but there'd be few better places to raise them.

This post proudly bought to you by Today Tonight and general panic panic shows everywhere.

Hahaha, sure.

The 15km radius from Surfers needs either a billion dollars spent on it, the worlds biggest high pressure cleaner, or a nuclear bomb to go off. I have no idea what part of that place appeals to people.

Robina’s nice.

Cairns is where to go, the rest is rubbish.

+1

I've met plenty of foreigners who've said that they loved Brisbane. They always seem to find something to do there but maybe it's not different enough from Perth for you to enjoy. Probably not the best guy to give restaurant recommendations because I've hardly lived there for 10 years.

Remember that places are popular with tourists for a reason, so even though you might hear negative things about the Gold Coast there are still some pretty cool things there especially if your kids are old enough to really enjoy theme parks with roller coasters. I'd probably rate Dreamworld as number 1 but I haven't been there for years. 

Currumbin Sanctuary is good because you can feed the lorikeets for free without even entering the park (check feeding times online, early morning or evening). If you want to go inside you can pat kangaroos and see all kinds of Australian wildlife but I assume WA has something similar so you might be wasting your time. 

On the sunshine coast Underwater World is pretty good too as far as Aquariums go but maybe redundant if you're heading north. I reckon Currumbin is better than Australia Zoo but if you're avoiding the Gold Coast then maybe Australia Zoo is worth a look. 

Assuming you have a week, you could probably have a great vacation in South-East QLD and should be able to fill your time comfortably. One of the coasts (Sunshine or Gold) and a couple of days in Brisbane, or maybe a trip to the Glasshouse Mountains or Stradbroke Island. 

If you have a bit of extra time (2 weeks) or wanted to skip town straight after the tennis then I'd recommend going to the Great Barrier Reef and that part of the state is undoubtedly more beautiful and more wildernessy. The easiest way would be to fly to Cairns althought there are other good places. The Cairns route might be the most economical (possibly flying from the Gold Coast airport). Cairns is also a well-trodden tourist city which means that there are all kinds of companies who will take your money look after you. 

It is theoretically possible that you could stay at the Gold Coast and travel to Brisbane for the Tennis. The journey is a bit too far from the Sunshine Coast.

Also, Serena Williams really enjoy's her Karaoke. You might spot her at Ben's Vietnamese and Chinese restaurant. 

http://www.tropicalfruitworld.com.au/

I've lived in Cairns, Brisbane and Gold Coast. Spent large parts of my school holidays in Toowoomba.

It depends on the age of you kids but if it was me with kids (not teenagers) Then I would start on Cairns and work your way down. With Cairns you can take the Kuranda Scenic Railway out to Kuranda :http://www.ksr.com.au/Pages/Default.aspx

Back in Cairns it's a not too long boat trip (27km) out to Green Island to experience the reef. :http://www.greenisland.com.au/

Also take the kids out to the crocodile park : http://www.crocodileadventures.com/

Just remember the further you go north the less you can actually swim at the beaches due to the killer jellyfish. Also the longer you get into summer the more you'll hit the tropical storms up north.

Toowoomba this time of year is in full bloom. Doubt there's a better garden city in Australia. You've just missed the carnival of flowers. Rolo will take you on tour of the cities best coffee shops, you'll need the caffeine to stay awake :0 (jokes). Pretty city.

I'm not a wrap for Brisbane, it got some ok stuff but nothing out of the ordinary. If you go to the Sunshine Coast get the kids to Australia Zoo: http://www.australiazoo.com.au/. Great hinterland stuff to do up there as well, lots of sleepy towns and markets all within quick drive.

Definitely finish up on the Gold Coast to leave from there back home. I would suggest staying at Broadbeach or Burliegh Heads (where I live). Both are the on beach and easy to get around. Fogdog can tell you what Burliegh is like. Definitely get the kids to one of the major theme parks. Lots of shopping for the Mrs if you want to let her loose.You can get a hire car and go out to the Spiringbook waterfalls or Mt Tambourine, and come home swim at the beach in the arvo.

Some of the lesser known attractions on the GC are good for kids: 

http://www.cws.org.au/

http://www.tropicalfruitworld.com.au/

I don't know much about Western Queensland by Koala did a tour through there last year so ask her thoughts. I've been to Mt Isa for work once, total hole. That would be a driving holiday.

Australia Zoo is 10/10

Breakfast with the Birds in Port Douglas is the best family friendly thing I have ever done.  When we lived in Cairns we used to go every couple of months cos it was a great day out. 

Any tips for people with no kids??

Further North for mine. I really enjoyed Cape Trib and some great seafood restaurants in Port Douglas.

Don't take photos with the Metermaids.