Substandard training report (the report, not the training) Friday 13th May, Etihad

don't be so hard on yourself bud, any training report is great. Thanks for making the effort to post what you saw.

Question for you- when Joe was practicing goal kicking, was anyone watching him or giving him advice or guidance?

As Goon Squad mentioned, Skippy stood the mark and then talked him through the kick. Joey was really focusing on ball-drop, to the point where you wonder if he’s starting to overthink it. He hardly missed at all when he screwed the ball back around the body or even banana kicked from the boundary - it’s the straight set shot that’s troubling him.

I used to have a problem where my golf shots would slice off the tee. If I tried to compensate by lining up towards the left side of the fairway then the opening up of my stance exacerbated the slice. Joey has the same sort of problem - he’s clearly compensating for the swing and this is making the problem worse. Jason Dunstall was the best shot at goal I ever saw, and he walked in straight, dropped the ball straight over his foot, and kicked through the centre of the ball. Joe needs to simplify his kicking. He runs in to the left and swings his foot across the line - needs to take a page out of the Dunstall book.

Bags may live up to his name with that kind of accuracy.

Joe can be decoy and draw multiple defenders, our mids will naturally kick it over his head to a waiting Bags who has trailed the contest. Goal.

If Cooney wasn’t there, which red head signed my kids jumpers?

Was a very casual training event today.

Only on the field for 45 min (15 min late). and going at about 60-70% intensity.

My thoughts on what could barely be described as a training session.

-Hartley is a booming kick off 2-3 steps.

• the sun is a ■■■■■■ on one side of the ground.
  • Doc Reid doesn’t know who #43 is.
  • didn’t see anyone miss a goal for the first 10-12
  • Wooshman was great, signed heaps of autographs, asked everyone if they wanted photos and hung aroun, looked genuinely interested in spending some time having a chat to the fans.
  • JD took extra goal kicking practice from around 35-40m out. noticeably slower leg action and reduced follow through on his kicking action. Still go a long way, basically a 50m toe poke. From where I was sitting it looked like he kept missing to the left.

all in all it was fun to take the kids and get some photos and their jumpers signed.

I’m still amazed at how accessible the highest profile sports people in Australia are. Could never do this at any of the other major codes around the world.

Only one or two didn’t come over off their own back (I think they were having their own goal kicking comp) but they were more than happy to come over if someone yelled out for a photo.

don't be so hard on yourself bud, any training report is great. Thanks for making the effort to post what you saw.

Question for you- when Joe was practicing goal kicking, was anyone watching him or giving him advice or guidance?

Skippy was there with him the whole time, also someone else at various times that I couldn’t recognise. Spent the last 15 mins practicing on his own while the rest of the team were doing autographs, most people waited around for him and he signed a few shirts but left a lot disappointed.

that’s poor from Joe

Agreed - my son is a mad JD fan (not even 5 yet) and was super keen to get a signature, called out to him a few times but he left too quickly.

To be fair JD signed as many as he could when I think he was already told to leave the ground. My kids missed out too but id rather he get his kicking sorted and it gives me a good excuse to get the kids along next time.

Nice sub standard trying report Humbert.

If Cooney wasn't there, which red head signed my kids jumpers?
  1. Darren Bewick
Nice sub standard trying report Humbert.

It’s what I do.

JoeDan on the other hand was spraying them. Either he poked them to the left and they stayed left or he went hard at the goals and they swerved right.

To have players train like they intend to play is all we can ask for. Looks like JD is achieving this.

FFS why can’t Joe get his kicking right while signing autographs at the same time!

I enjoyed your report very much Humbert and will be on Elbow watch tomorrow. I’m sure Bags is making an impression on the coach with his accuracy and hope we see him forward again.

Bags may live up to his name with that kind of accuracy.

Joe can be decoy and draw multiple defenders, our mids will naturally kick it over his head to a waiting Bags who has trailed the contest. Goal.

I can see the future

FF Baguley - Hooker - Fletcher
HF Dempsey - Hurley - Hibberd

I enjoyed your report very much Humbert and will be on Elbow watch tomorrow. I'm sure Bags is making an impression on the coach with his accuracy and hope we see him forward again.

Thanks Hambo. I’ve always thought Bags could cut it as a forward. He’s such a great scrapper - we need someone who is determined to keep the ball inside our 50 and knows where the goals are. We’ve got plenty of run off half back, it’s the forward line that needs help.

If Cooney wasn't there, which red head signed my kids jumpers?

Not sure. What does the signature say?

Zerrett: high contact using elbow, deliberate. Damage? Pfttt, he’s guilty, just take your right whack.

I bet Lloyd would have said, Joe follow through.

Loved the training report.

As Goon Squad mentioned, Skippy stood the mark and then talked him through the kick. Joey was really focusing on ball-drop, to the point where you wonder if he’s starting to overthink it. He hardly missed at all when he screwed the ball back around the body or even banana kicked from the boundary - it’s the straight set shot that’s troubling him.

I used to have a problem where my golf shots would slice off the tee. If I tried to compensate by lining up towards the left side of the fairway then the opening up of my stance exacerbated the slice. Joey has the same sort of problem - he’s clearly compensating for the swing and this is making the problem worse. Jason Dunstall was the best shot at goal I ever saw, and he walked in straight, dropped the ball straight over his foot, and kicked through the centre of the ball. Joe needs to simplify his kicking. He runs in to the left and swings his foot across the line - needs to take a page out of the Dunstall book.

one problem alot of players suffer from is once they get outside of roughly 40 meters, they tend to arc their run up to get more distance and power.

Daniher does this too and he struggles to re adjust from one to the other as you allude too. he’ll try to compensate for the hook he gets from a 50 meter set shot on a 20 meter one, but then he’s running straight at that point, so it ultimately misses.

I don’t know what they are doing to help him, but it all comes down to repitition, like any skill.
if as an example (which i’m sure they are doing more, well god i hope so) if he’s only having 15 shots at goal after training, he’ll never get better

He should prolly be having at a minimum 100 shots at goal everyday, just so he learns how to go through the motions and just kick the ball at the goals.

one problem alot of players suffer from is once they get outside of roughly 40 meters, they tend to arc their run up to get more distance and power.

Daniher does this too and he struggles to re adjust from one to the other as you allude too. he’ll try to compensate for the hook he gets from a 50 meter set shot on a 20 meter one, but then he’s running straight at that point, so it ultimately misses.

I don’t know what they are doing to help him, but it all comes down to repitition, like any skill.
if as an example (which i’m sure they are doing more, well god i hope so) if he’s only having 15 shots at goal after training, he’ll never get better

He should prolly be having at a minimum 100 shots at goal everyday, just so he learns how to go through the motions and just kick the ball at the goals.

Isn’t it 10,000 hours to be a champion in a sport?