Suit shopping

There used to be a thread on this in old Blitz, but I'm looking to buy a decent suit of the sub $600 variety in the general Melbourne area for work.

Any advice would be mighty handy.

St.Vinnies !

Do the rounds of DFO

Had a few made at Travelers apparel in Collingwood. Cant fault them, about $600 though.

Very difficult to buy a decent suit retail for under $600. I wouldn't bother myself. Unless you're very lucky it will be a shapeless garment that will begin to wear much sooner than it ought. Quality generally pays.

If you've got time I'd suggest getting one online. Tricky thing with that is getting the size right obviously. I bought a lovely Joseph Abboud suit online earlier this year for about $350 all up, delivered out of the states. I bought that through a site called Gilt, but bound to be other options, and similarly good brands.

Otherwise I'd keep an eye out for the HK tailors who visit every year and get yourself a custom made suit. They normally advertise their visits in the paper - you go for a fitting, choose your fabric, and a few weeks later the suit gets sent to you, voila.

You need more than one suit for work. Friday night few beers in pub after work, spill a bit, drop your souvlaki garlic sauce on it, fall in gutter and all those things I did many years ago.

DFO is good suggestion, but buy two and extra pants if possible, and get a Bombers tie or two as well.

What's a "suit"?

Very difficult to buy a decent suit retail for under $600. I wouldn't bother myself. Unless you're very lucky it will be a shapeless garment that will begin to wear much sooner than it ought. Quality generally pays.
If you've got time I'd suggest getting one online. Tricky thing with that is getting the size right obviously. I bought a lovely Joseph Abboud suit online earlier this year for about $350 all up, delivered out of the states. I bought that through a site called Gilt, but bound to be other options, and similarly good brands.
Otherwise I'd keep an eye out for the HK tailors who visit every year and get yourself a custom made suit. They normally advertise their visits in the paper - you go for a fitting, choose your fabric, and a few weeks later the suit gets sent to you, voila.

Pretty sure one of them is here this weekend - they set up on Collins St somewhere?
Where'd you buy online?

Find a tailor , generally asian, who'll take your measurements and send those to China/Hong Kong to be made. Once they get it back they then make final adjustments. You'll save $$$ and get to pick exact fabric and design and will fit perfectly. Much better quality than a $600 department store suit. Last few I got cost me $150 to $200 and are amazing suits.

Woodstock on Elizabeth St. $450-500. Good brands, guys know what there doing and can pick style and size without measuring you.

-Bugman

off the rack, bleh

hit up my boy oscar on sydney rd., $350 fully tailored 100% italian wool, unlimited choice on fabric and style, 3 week turnaround from scratch

cash only, tax free, wog style

or SE asia as incoming says. i don't wear a suit to work as my work won't allow it, only ever need them for work functions and weddings, but if a mate/relative is going to thailand, give them your measurements and you'll get something very good for sub $200

Pretty sure one of them is here this weekend - they set up on Collins St somewhere?
Where'd you buy online?

Yeah, generally around the city - I think there are about 2-3 of them that do the rounds.

I bought my Joseph Aboud suit from gilt.com - which is basically up-market fashion and accessories for much reduced prices - I think likely clearance in the US, from where they get shipped. I once bought an Armani suit on eBay for about $250. You're taking a risk on fit, but generally they allow you to return it for a small fee to get the right fit. Mine was fine. Lots of tailors set-up on eBay, worth checking out.

I thrash my suits, churn and burn. I’m a perfect fit for most 96R off the rack, so I usually just buy when here on sale at Myer, which seems to be every second month or so, 25-30% off is about normal.

If you’re a young guy, make sure you get something that isn’t suited to lard ■■■■ business men.

off the rack, bleh

hit up my boy oscar on sydney rd., $350 fully tailored 100% italian wool, unlimited choice on fabric and style, 3 week turnaround from scratch

or SE asia as incoming says. i don't wear a suit to work as my work won't allow it, only ever need them for work functions and weddings, but if a mate/relative is going to thailand, give them your measurements and you'll get something very good for sub $200

Where on Sydney Road?

I have bought my last 3 suits (including my wedding suit) from Joe Black Tailor on Little Collins Street. 

Great guys and you should be able to find something circa $600. If not, the extra couple hundred will be worth it.

Is the quality in the SE asia suits good?

Got a tailored suit from Vietnam, and everything was fine. If it's just for events once in a while, then they're worth it. Paid sub $200 and got shoes as well.

This website rules, just gotta get your sizing right. 

https://www.institchu.com/

From what I've seen, varies quite a lot.

Got a pretty well-made, thick wool suit from A Dong in Hoi An, Vietnam. Really good, bit dowdy in style (OK for work/interviews/meetings, prolly not for races/weddings) but decent suit. Think it cost me about $120 all up (3 piece). Shirts were ~$30 for good Italian cotton, really nice shirts.

But there's some really ■■■■■ places too, people I know have bought from. Generally cheap as chips (like $50 tailored...) so whaddayou expect?

off the rack, bleh

Does he do shirts? $$ ?