Surely we are better than this

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/footy-fan-bashed-during-clash-between-north-melbourne-and-essendon/story-fndv7pj3-1227050582252

Footy fan bashed during clash between North Melbourne and Essendon

• 1 HOUR AGO SEPTEMBER 07, 2014 4:49PM
582210-6e7927bc-3659-11e4-b602-27137950f

Victoria Police has appealed for witnesses after a North Melbourne fan was assaulted by another spectator at the end of North Melbourne versus Essendon game. Source: News Limited

A FOOTY fan was taken to hospital after being bashed at Saturday night‘s AFL final between North Melbourne and Essendon.

Victoria Police has appealed for witnesses after the North Melbourne fan was assaulted by another spectator at the end of the MCG match.

It is believed the man suffered facial injuries after having his head rammed into a hand rail.

Victoria Police spokeswoman Sen Constable Melissa Seach said police were alerted to the incident by St John‘s Ambulance staff who went to the man‘s aid.

TRAINER KING HIT BY PLAYER AT SUBURBAN FOOTY GROUND

“It looks like there has been an assault and we are looking for witnesses,” she said.

“Around 10pm there was an assault, we‘ve spoken to a witness and there will be an investigation.”

The man is believed to have been assaulted in the AFL Members Reserve.

MCC spokesman Shaun Brown said it was being reviewed.

“We are aware of an incident that allegedly occurred towards the end of Saturday night‘s match,” he said.

“However, as it is presently a Victoria Police investigation, we are unable to provide further comment at this time.”

Witnesses said they believed an Essendon supporter was responsible for the attack.

Spectator Ryan Reynolds took to social media to speak out about the incident.

“Worst assault I‘ve ever seen at a sporting event,” he tweeted.

“North fan had head smashed into a hand rail by a Dons fan.‘‘

CCTV footage from the ground is expected to be reviewed as part of the investigation.

Essendon was eliminated from the finals by North Melbourne after leading for much of the match.

[email protected]

Originally published as Footy fan bashed during AFL final

Who knows the circumstances. Can imagine North fan asking for it by rubbing it in.

Certainly doesn't condone it. We all have to be better than that and suck it up.

Every club has supporters who cross the line, we're no different. 

Probably mouthed off about ASADA

Probably got lippy about the drugs controversy. Still not a good look, but I've felt like cracking a few heads at times. Hope hes O.K though.

and that deserves getting your head smashed into the hand railing? give me a break. This is a weak and pathetic act

I doubt he copped it for nothing

Surely the news here is that north have a supporter

There’s normally only one reason you’ll get hit after the footy, and that’s because your being a major farkhead.

and that deserves getting your head smashed into the hand railing? give me a break. This is a weak and pathetic act

So is being a mouthy smartarse on a very sensitive issue(if that's the case). They can enjoy the win without being ■■■■■■■ smartarses. I'd be interested in what motivated it.

If we had got up I'd highly doubt some of ours fans wouldn't have rubbed it in and tried to start ■■■■. 

If we had got up I'd highly doubt some of ours fans wouldn't have rubbed it in and tried to start ****. 

And probably would have been slammed into a handrail. Footy, beer, ARSEADA,cut throat finals, more beer. It happens even though it shouldn't.

Who knows what happened. Maybe he walked up and wanted to have a go, calling the other bloke a drug cheating carnt snd threw a punch. Maybe he spat on him. Maybe he did nothing and it was unprovoked. Who knows…its all speculation. But I very much doubt your gonna get ya head put into a rail for no reason

So is being a mouthy smartarse on a very sensitive issue(if that's the case). They can enjoy the win without being ******* smartarses. I'd be interested in what motivated it.

racism, family yes very sensitive and i would lose my ■■■■ as well....

ASADA no, losing a game footy...no...walk away shaking your head

Well I don't condone this act however, what do people think will happen when the media have fueled this frenzied hatred towards us for the best part of two years, add that to an emotional loss and probably a skin full of grog and this is the result. I'm actually surprised there wasn't more of it.

Would never happen at the A-League.

That explains the 30 security guards gathered behind M55 after the game.

Mods gurge please

That explains the 30 security guards gathered behind M55 after the game.

Unlikely as this happen in M16.
And if someone mouths off to me about ASADA (if he actually did of course) I would smash their face into the rail too. ■■■■ em

If the guy however was just celebrating their win then that’s just ■■■■ poor.

Can't judge.

Some North kid (maybe early twenties) was singing 'Bye bye Paddy, bye bye', as I was walking out of the 'G carpark and I had to chain the beast.

Lucky for me I'd only had the one bourbon, or there but for the grace etc.