Sydney's Forward Line

No doubt, every team is concerned about the tall forward line of Sydney.  Bombers have to face this problem on Friday August 1.  With Joey not playing against the Dogs, Essendon looked to be one tall short and became unbalanced when Hooker had to ruck to allow Rhyder a rest.  Fletcher was moved to fullback and was soundly beaten.  When sent forward, he made little contribution.  It isn't going to be easy to try and counter Franklin, Reid, Tippett and Goodes.  Any reliance on Carlisle to be a superman again will be truly tested by the Swans.

So what sort of team do we take to Sydney?  I'm suggesting two taller inclusions despite their injuries and indifferent form.  But we must take a gamble as we don't want Sydney to run all over us like they did to Carlton.  Of course we want to win, but despite Essendon's great form of late, it is a big ask of the side to beat the flag favourites on their home ground. 

So here goes:

B.            Baguley            Hooker             Fletcher

HB           Hibberd            Hurley              Dempsey

C             Stanton            Hocking            Goddard

HF           Winderlich       Bellchambers    Zaharakis 

F              Z.Merrett         Carlisle              Ambrose

R             Rhyder              Heppell             Myers

INT          Colyer  Pears  Dell'Olio    SUB. Howlett

Why Pears and Bellchambers?   Remember that one tall short against the Dogs.  Paddy needs a break and Tommy is the obvious replacement despite his poor form and recurring ankle problem.  But what other option do we have?  Time for Pears to be given a run.  His form in the VFL has been very good, playing both forward and back, and he becomes the insurance to help out in the backline if Fletch has another bad day.  Fletch might even be rested again as Father Time seemed to be catching up with him as demonstrated last Sunday night.  Who knows?

Incidentally, despite the weight difference, I reckon Hibberd would do well on Goodes given his agility, speed and great marking ability. Hibbo would make Goodes earn every kick.

There are plenty of midfielders/runners in this side - Heppell, Myers, Stanton, Goddard, Zaharakis, Dempsey, Hibberd, Merrett, Chapman, Winderlich, Coyler, Dell'Olio and Howlett, who looked tired against the Dogs.  A day as the sub will not hurt him one bit. 

If Watson and Daniher were available, I wonder how we would go?

Beachcomber hasnt played for a few weeks, not even vfl. He’s cooked, no chance

And pears? Nah

Wouldn't mind seeing Pears come in if it allowed Hurley to go forward, geez he'd be hungry for it...

As for tired midfielders they will have had a week off, you don't need to rest blokes for 2 weeks.

Just read that TBell is out for up to four weeks.  That mucks up my idea of playing him at CHF and helping Paddy.  Yes, despite some saying No to Pears, he is a taller, big bodied option who can kick a goal.  Not much else to choose from.  That other ruckman, Thurlow is injured and really hasn't shown the form we would like.  Becoming a real predicament with Daniher, Watson and TBell all injured and out for 4 weeks +.

One for the VFL watchers here:

If (and only if) we really needed an extra tall against the Swans, why Pears and not Steinberg?  On paper Steinberg seems to have had far steadier VFL form than Pears.  Is he that far short of AFL standard? 

For what it's worth, the limited exposure I've had to VFL this year (mainly earlier in the season) suggested that neither was anywhere near close, but I'm happy to be corrected.

One word

STEINBERG

(Say it with sound effects at the end like star wars)

Just tell buddy that the white lines are not paint or chalk will keep him busy for hours

I'm sure the coaching staff will have a handle on things.

Things to consider:

- Can Goddard or Ambrose be the ones to help out Paddy in the ruck? That would enable us to keep our backline settled.

- Otherwise we need to release a TALL from defense to help in the ruck and up forward, so we need to bring in another tall defender. Do we have any left? Gregory?

- Is Thurlow fit enough to strap the boots on? Or he's he still a long way off.

- How bad was Hardingham again?

- It's not that I'm resigned to losing, but we played the Swans a few months ago and while we have improved, so have they. We can use this match to either get a good guage of where we are at, or we can mix things up a bit and see if we take them by surprise.

- Need to avoid a blowout in our percentage at the very least, so I'd be inclined to avpid messing with our defence to much.

I'm sure the coaching staff will have a handle on things.

Things to consider:

- Can Goddard or Ambrose be the ones to help out Paddy in the ruck? That would enable us to keep our backline settled.

- Otherwise we need to release a TALL from defense to help in the ruck and up forward, so we need to bring in another tall defender. Do we have any left? Gregory?

- Is Thurlow fit enough to strap the boots on? Or he's he still a long way off.

- How bad was Hardingham again?

- It's not that I'm resigned to losing, but we played the Swans a few months ago and while we have improved, so have they. We can use this match to either get a good guage of where we are at, or we can mix things up a bit and see if we take them by surprise.

- Need to avoid a blowout in our percentage at the very least, so I'd be inclined to avpid messing with our defence to much.

Aren't they about 191cm? They would be at least 4 inches shorter than Pyke and Tippet.

Under no circumstances does Goddard go into the ruck.

One of Pears, Hardy or Steinburg will come in. 

Hardy was reasonable as a marking forward early in the year, has some amazing athletic attributes and can stick a tackle. Has brain fades.

Pears has AFL experience but not a great overhead mark and tends to be slow deciding what to do with the ball.

Steinburg has no AFL experience but has been with us for 4 years so knows our systems. He is consistently in the bests in the VFL. Strong,

big mark and good kick. 

The game won't be won or lost on who of these three they pick so I hope they pick Steinburg, give him a chance, see what he's like.

ITS TIME FOR STEIN

this underlies how badly we got farked in the draft re: list management. Apeness would be super handy about now.

thurlow hasn't played vfl for ages it seems. this really hurts structurally.

i still think the best bet is to bring berg in as 3rd tall defender, hurely fwd, carlisle rotates with ryder but as little as possible.

We are basically one injury away from being completely fire trucked for the year.

Don't we have to place someone on long term injury list before we can upgrade Stein off rookie?

Don't we have to place someone on long term injury list before we can upgrade Stein off rookie?

Brown, Kommer & the mid year upgrade.

we can bring in the Burg

this underlies how badly we got farked in the draft re: list management. Apeness would be super handy about now.

thurlow hasn't played vfl for ages it seems. this really hurts structurally.

i still think the best bet is to bring berg in as 3rd tall defender, hurely fwd, carlisle rotates with ryder but as little as possible.

We are basically one injury away from being completely fire trucked for the year.

The same argument all along though, without Ryder or Belly, relying on a 3rd string ruckman not capable of being in the first 2 at our club, let alone any other would not save us from being ■■■■■■, we would still be so even with a recognised back up back up ruckman.

All we've heard for years though is, oh Ryder should ruck more, and the majority of the game, well now he gets to do it for the whole game, and people are all of a sudden

Bigger concern for mine is Daniher's out. At the very least he was an actual second option, even for a little bit to take the sole focus of Carlisle. Now every man and his dog will know where the ball is going to go pretty much all of the time. Sydney esp will no doubt have at least 2 -3 players around him at all times.

Need to think of a solution to that problem quick smart.

Brown, Kommer & the mid year upgrade.

we can bring in the Burg

Ambrose for Browne, Dell for the mid year and i'm pretty sure Kommer hasn't been placed on the LTI list, altho don't hold me to that.

I’d love Stein to get a go, but who would he realistically be able to match up on in the Sydney forwardline ?

Tippett…nah, not big enough.

Buddy…LOL, that wouldn’t be very nice in your first game.

Sam Reid…still probably too tall and strong overhead.

Goodes…possibly

If he came in, he’d probably have to play forward, as the match ups should be…

Tippett/Hooker

Buddy/Hurley

Reid/Fletch

Goodes/Hibberd

Just tell buddy that the white lines are not paint or chalk will keep him busy for hours

He may be pre-occupied with another 100 day challenge 

Has anyone ever considered moving Fletch forward in the last 21 years? Ever?