Sydney def Essendon: Do you want to talk about it?

I keep opening blitz with the intention of reading the vfl results, but find myself in here and end up leaving feeling sh*t

1 Like

Believe it or not Sydney supporters think they get a hard time from the umpires. One of them was pointing out umpire 17 and telling me that that umpire is horribly biased against them.

Canā€™t say I remember it, considering I would have been 1 lmao

1 Like

Turned his back on the ball. Kennedy runs past his back while heā€™s facing the boundary line.
Not that anyone exactly covered themselves in glory at that contest, Jobe & Howlett also had brain farts.

1 Like

But you havenā€™t told us whoā€™s fault it was really at the end of the game.

2 Likes

So who decided it was time to go shutty uppy shop? Sounds like the message went out from Woosha after the Hurls goal?

Maybe they had not heard of the Leigh Mathews 1 goal per minute shibboleth often quoted by commentators when Hawthorn have been behind in games.

ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  about it ainā€™t gonna reverse the result. 2 teams supporters from last night in the same boat as us today. Letā€™s get off the ship of fools and concentrate on next weeks game. Iā€™ll be more upset to lose that one than Fridayā€™s result.

FMD. B i t c h i n g is swearing?

Nothing wrong with shutting up shop, but youā€™ve got to actually shut up shop. Keep possession when you get the ball, milk every second after a mark, keep moving to be an option for the next uncontested mark, play the percentages when thereā€™s no uncontested option, go down the line, donā€™t go to outnumbered contests, choose getting tackled over turning the ball over, the best option at a stoppage is another stoppage, rush a behind if the alternative is a chance at a goal. We moved to a defensive set up but didnā€™t change our play style.

4 Likes

And this is why we lost imo.

We shut up shop mentally,not practically.

We anticipated they would win the the ball,and they did.

But In removing the practical application of making defensively minded decisions when in possession,we gave them the best possible chance to win.

And they did.

1 Like

Look at BJā€™s attempted kick out, was there anyone running hard to provide an option?

Nobody wanted the ball/responsibility (other than BJ of course).

They would against a contested heavy team but not against a running team like us. Yes, I am sour and biased.

The pack at 60-70 out on the line is clearly a plan.

I agree. Remember the game two or three years ago when we were about 2 goals ahead of Hawthorn with a couple of minutes to play and Cyril carved us up. Everyone said we would learn from that, but unfortunately a number of the players who were in that match were the ones who made the mistakes on friday.

4 Likes

If youā€™re shutting up shop youā€™ve gotta park the bus like stoke.

1 Like

We learn from this. We just do. This cannot happen again.

I hope every player is so ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  that they havenā€™t slept since the game.

So ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  that they have spent 2 days in an ice bath because they need to cool down.

We destroy Brisbane next week. We use this against the Lions. We make Brisbane never want to play afl again.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s true, it need not be the case that a group of players will learn from their mistakes, but it can happen.

1983 led to 1984 & 85

1999 led to 2000

This is a young group - I am optimistic that in this case it can happen. We had the right coach in the above examples and I think we do again now. Not saying we will win the flag next year but we will give it a very big shake.

As painful as it is, maybe itā€™s the one of the lessons that need to be had to get out of the endless loop of mediocrity we have had to put up with for the last 15 years. It was better than a boring five goal loss in my opinion.

2 Likes

Sure shut up shop if they break your ascendency, but if you are ahead and have kicked the last 6 goals and are 3 ahead and have momentum, why go into your shell?

3 Likes

Iā€™d have to go to the match thread and work out who called the victory too early. And Iā€™m not that masochistic

Iā€™ll admit I went off early.

1 Like