Sydney def Essendon: Do you want to talk about it?

Actually Tippa has not been good at doing that. He’s only so-so in those one-on-one marking contests, especially when the ball takes a while to arrive.

2 Likes

Agreed it was not smart. Just trying to work out Joe’s reasoning.

Was it really that wet? It gets pretty dewy at night in Sydney. FWIW, they sprayed anti-dew treatment on the ground before Origin on Wednesday night.

That last ball up, it appears all our players expected a free as the swans ruckman just clearly puts one hand in the back and pushes Tommy from under the ball drop, he’s so focussed on that act that he even misses the ball himself

The ump, 4 metres away with straight vision, does nothing, three swans player swoop on the loose ball, kick, mark, goal.

Essendon players are all standing there going wtf?

That was not a genuine contest, and a horribly way to end what was a decent game of football maybe the swans still woulda snagged one from that clearance, the thing is we never got to see that chance because an umpire ■■■■■■ us by being utterly terrible at his job

absolutely ■■■■■■■ disgusting unprofessional or just corrupt, either way, whoever that was cost the world a fair played game of footy.

We won this game, that last goal is umpire given horse ■■■■.

2 Likes

a small thing, but those who were saying the players were celebrating like they won the game after hurley kicked the goal.
were they merely celebrating Hurleys first goal since returning from the ban, like they did with watson ?

seems they’ve copped abit about being ahead of themselves and that from that bit of play, where maybe it was just innocently celebrating his first goal since his return.

10 Likes

I was directly behind the Merrett. He had little or no time and its fanciful to think Fantasia would win a foot race,seeing one of the Sydneys defenders had Fantasia locked up. At very best you would get a stoppage.[quote=“Mr_Sunbury_1, post:558, topic:10841, full:true”]
You’ve missed one that almost everyone else has also missed in Z Merrett’s clearance to Fantasia outnumbered at CHF & Grundy the outnumber. Dumb kick & worst thing is he had some time. He had to punch that kick as far as he could towards the pocket & let Fantasia use his pace to get there first. If he does that, Grundy doesn’t mark & set up the next play. In all likelihood the ball gets over the boundary or Raz wins the race & puts us two kicks up with less than a minute to go.

IMO this error is every bit as bad as Joe kicking behind two teammates to Sydney advantage corridor side (after a beautiful defensive mark), Hurley & Kelly pinning us into our own back pocket giving Sydney a chance to flood one side of the ground, Goddard’s kick in & Fantasia letting Rampe run into that stoppage at the end. Just how does anyone explain all those brain explosions?
[/quote]

I will give you the answer. No player except for Tbell and he was late, was leading into space. JD had limited options.

Me too.

1 Like

I was thinking about the Sunday paper and coffee ritual.

And recording all of the Monday footy shows.

None of which is now happening.

2 Likes

Except he got one against Freo

Thing was he signalled for everyone to lead wide and then miskicked / kicked it 15-20m in from the boundary. I’m sure his kick was intended for TBell but he kicked it straight over his head.

as an aside,

RE BJs kickout. He had McKenna, Baguley and Kelly all standing flat footed in the corridor with 30m of space in front of them. His choice in theory may have been the textbook option but it’s predictability was what brought him undone.

That felt like being punched in the nuts so hard you end up vomiting.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve actually avoided all footy shows today and will for the start of the week. I don’t want to see any clips and reviews of our game.

It gets better after FC Monday night/ nothing much after that to poke the Bear.

1 Like

i think i’m over it.

I threatened to block and delete a friend who tagged me in an “Essendon are chokers” meme today. Still a bit precious about the loss I think.

i did see a guy wearing a swans cap at the shops today and that enraged me, a little.

2 Likes

JD also got called to play on and buddy was about to tackle him, leading to joe to rush the kick
Imo he was going for tbell which was the right kick, but cos he rushed it the ball swung about 15m in the air and the rest is history

2 Likes

As far as losses to the Swans go, 1996 prelim was worse ( and worse for being there ) but watching Dunkley jibbing it the next week helped ease the pain.

I can’t believe you guys actually going back over the game again.

Just go watch the first qtr of the port game. It’ll cheer you up big time

3 Likes