Sydney def Essendon: Do you want to talk about it?

As people have rightly pointed out - we will learn from this. Can’t buy experience like this for our young leaders - Goddard, Kelly, Watson, Hurley, Colyer, Bellchambers, Zacka, Heppell, Baugley, Howlett… if only we had just ONE experienced head out there to calm the list down things might have been different!

1 Like

Disagree. Gleeson needed to take the decision out of the umpires’ hands by being more robust in the contest.

He was picked up and thrown out of the way illegally.

Nothing to do with being more robust.

The same thing happens to forwards in marking contests and they get paid free kicks as defenders illegally prevented them from accessing footy.

2 Likes

Fark, you guys need some cheering up, gurgle this thread and head over to the saga thread.

6 Likes

I’d love to get the Swans in an Elimination Final at the MCG.

I haven’t done a Ladder Predictor, but it wouldn’t surprise if 3 sides end up on 12-10 to fill spots 6th to 8th.
Of course, we’d go in rank underdogs, as all the experts would be blowing their loads over Sydney doing a Bulldogs, but their midfield snails would have trouble against our overall speed on the G.

Please let this happen…

4 Likes

Swans are absolutely no certainty to make the 8, with games against all the top sides (barring Port) to come. The best revenge would be to ensure we finish above them.

2 Likes

We lost one of the two hardest games for the second half of the season by one point due to a series of slapstick errors. Definitely not out of finals contention yet. Haven’t made it easy either. going to be some great footy to watch over the next 9 weeks if we do make it.

Bulldust. They both engaged and G Rohan got the better of him. Way too easily.

1 Like

Rubbish you can’t put your arms around someone’s waste and hold them from moving…automatic free…but he also threw him to the side to make even more obvious.

1 Like

If Rohan is capable of lifting Marty’s weight. And comes at him from behind. And wraps his arms around Marty. And throws him out of the way.

I don’t really care who you are, you’ve got very little strength in the contest when your feet aren’t on the ground anymore.

1 Like

This may have been a missed free, but its just another piece of stupid play from us/bellchambers.
He had one job in that situation and that was to neutralize the ball. Ground the other ruckman and get that ball dropped to his feet, and have every player jump on the ball or opposition. Why he is jumping in the air to give that ball a chance to get over the back is just dumb.

1 Like

I get the sympathy for M Gleeson, he’s likeable and all that but it doesn’t excuse him from failing to engage G Rohan properly in the contest. For all intents and purposes the ball should have been 60m + away from the goal square at that stage of the game and we wouldn’t be talking about M Glesson’s shortcomings but as things turned out, he should have done better. G Rohan took the opportunity to step up when the time came but M Gleeson didn’t on this occasion. If there’s ever a next time, I reckon M Gleeson won’t get tossed out of the way so easily.

Diggers he did everything right legally as a defender

It was nothing to do with his poor effort or body size, it’s about leverage.

TIPPA if Belly was standing in front of him could also wrap his arms around and lean back to get him off the ground and move him to one side & there isn’t much he could do about it.

It’s an illegal act in terms of AFL rules. Holding/throwing a player is not allowed.

As per push in back which Belly copped in ruck contest which took him out of the play

Both were free kicks

1 Like

We’re not going to agree.

yes we are

Let’s argue about something else. How did D Rampe find enough time + space to get a kick away to G Rohan which then in turn allowed Rohan to showcase his superior strength and positioning skills against the honourable but outclassed M Gleeson?

1 Like

I do believe that technically, they were both Free Kicks, but the reality is that most (if not all) umpires won’t have the courage to pay those in the dying stages of a game.
I’d be peeved if the situation was reversed, and either free was paid against us.

I understand all the arguments that exclaim, a free in the first 118mins, is a free in the last 2mins.
BUT, umpires are people, not robots, so you have to expect they will only pay the obvious in such situations.

This will never change (until robot umpires replace human ones in 2086, that is)!

2086 will be the 100th anniversary of the Essendon 3x-peat that never was.

1 Like

I love Fanta but that’s his fault. He was manning up on Rampe at the time and for some unknown reason he decided to let him off the chain

Sorry, but that’s just wrong.

Gleeson positioned himself in front, between Rohan and the direction the ball was coming from the stoppage, exactly as he should have. He made body contact with Rohan, and covered the short kick exactly as he should have. He got wrestled out of the way because Rohan LIFTED HIM OFF THE GROUND.

We can argue about whether Gleeson should’ve been strong enough to prevent it, but doing so ignores the fact that it is a free kick for holding the man in the contest. Every time.

Watch the replay again if you don’t understand.

4 Likes