Tac/u18 Thread

Want Ronke.

It’s good to have low expectations

What is McGrath's contested stats? I keep hearing McCluggage mentioned when they are at 40-50%. I'd love to know if this is a strength or weakness with McGrath.

Averages the 4th most clearnaces at TAC cup level with 6.7 a game. Uses his body extremely well at clearances and has that break away speed.

What is McGrath's contested stats? I keep hearing McCluggage mentioned when they are at 40-50%. I'd love to know if this is a strength or weakness with McGrath.
Averages the 4th most clearnaces at TAC cup level with 6.7 a game. Uses his body extremely well at clearances and has that break away speed.
But but but he's a defender!

McGrath’s gotta be the defender come elite gun mid we’ve been searching for all these years!!!

Goal kicking mids! Goal kicking mids!

Mcgrath has said he wants to be a defender and play like Johannisen.

Venables, Galluci, Ainsworth, Powell-Pepper, Taranto. Don’t need a top 2 pick to get one of those in this draft!

Venables, Galluci, Ainsworth, Powell-Pepper, Taranto. Don’t need a top 2 pick to get one of those in this draft!

None of them probably wont last till pick 20.

None of them probably wont last till pick 20.

Besides Taranto, they are all good chances of being there. Especially Gallucci and and SPP

Mcgrath has said he wants to be a defender and play like Johannisen.
He was saying how Johannisen was an inspiration to him all year when playing defence he never said which position he preferred and I doubt he has a preferred position anyway just seems the type who is happy to play wherever the coach sees fit

McGrath is a fargin gun that will play anywhere he’s needed.

I would love to list all the mids who don’t kick goals, but don’t have enough time. stupid post is stupid.
there are 10x the amount of mids who don’t kick goals.

I would love to list all the mids who don’t kick goals, but don’t have enough time. stupid post is stupid.
there are 10x the amount of mids who don’t kick goals.

Whats your point?

He’s saying that there is a goal kicking mid that we can pick up at pick 20 if we opt for McGrath over McCluggage

Always an interesting read... here is Knightmare's October Power Rankings and player write-ups. Has Taranto surging up to 4th.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/17750260/knightmare-afl-draft-power-rankings-october

Looking at the listed weaknesses on the top 2. McL has lack of strength faults that can be corrected, at least in part, in the gym. McG has one fault that cannot be corrected ( for a half back) , unless he is one of those rare Marty types that keeps getting taller even when they are over 18, and 2 other faults that may be inherent and not correctable. So weaknesses might be the thing that splits them in the end.

Lets not get too seduced by the fact that running defenders are exciting to watch, as compared with ones that just kick or handball, because they draw our focus for a longer period of time and build up anticipation to the spectator experience, even if the running defender only achieves the same effect as a longer kick most of the time. By contrast a really good consistent goal kicker is gold.

McGrath is a fargin gun that will play anywhere he's needed.

If that’s the case then straight to the midfield.

Simon Black started his career as a back pocket just fyi

Always an interesting read... here is Knightmare's October Power Rankings and player write-ups. Has Taranto surging up to 4th.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/17750260/knightmare-afl-draft-power-rankings-october

Interesting that the knocks on McClug are contested ball winning and attack on the ball. Those qualities are so important at AFL level that I’d be choosing McGrath ahead of him. A player like Kav was a dominant junior, but in the end his contested game prevented him from mixing it with AFL players. He supposedly an inside/out mid too. I’m not suggesting that McClug won’t make the grade (no doubt he will be a very fine player), but you have to wonder where his ceiling is considering contested ball and attack on the ball are supposed weaknesses. All the best AFL mids are contested ball animals.

As I’ve said countless times before, McCluggage’s contested game is very good. He’s able to get inside congestion, collect the ball with clean hands, then weave his way out of congestion with relatively no contact made with opposition players. It makes his opponents look completely stupid and complain about him slotting another ‘easy’ goal. Because of this, some will say he doesn’t win the hard ball.

But if your expecting him to run at a pack of players at full speed and smash his way through congestion to collect the pill. Then you’re going to be disappointed.

I remember in one game in the pocket at the Northern Oval. He strolled into a scrimmage of players fumbling the ball and tackling each other to the ground, he runs straight through a pack of players, picks the ball up cleanly, waltz’ out of the pack without getting any contact and slots the goal from the pocket.

I said to my mate, how the hell did he do that? It was like Moses parting the seas as he strolled through.

That is what we need and haven’t had for a very long time - the player who can do the apparently impossible, Like Hird - oops he was all of 3 cm taller. So like Michael Long.

McGrath is a fargin gun that will play anywhere he's needed.

Something something ruck something Ambrose.

Looking at the listed weaknesses on the top 2. McL has lack of strength faults that can be corrected, at least in part, in the gym. McG has one fault that cannot be corrected ( for a half back) , unless he is one of those rare Marty types that keeps getting taller even when they are over 18, and 2 other faults that may be inherent and not correctable. So weaknesses might be the thing that splits them in the end.

Lets not get too seduced by the fact that running defenders are exciting to watch, as compared with ones that just kick or handball, because they draw our focus for a longer period of time and build up anticipation to the spectator experience, even if the running defender only achieves the same effect as a longer kick most of the time. By contrast a really good consistent goal kicker is gold.

Midfielders with the pace and explosiveness to accelerate out of congestion and stoppages are pretty handy too. It’s one of the reasons guys like Dangerfield, Martin, Ablett, and Shuey are so good. Ideally this would be the kind of role McGrath could fill in the future.

Contested?