Tac/u18 Thread

Always an interesting read... here is Knightmare's October Power Rankings and player write-ups. Has Taranto surging up to 4th.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/17750260/knightmare-afl-draft-power-rankings-october

Looking at the listed weaknesses on the top 2. McL has lack of strength faults that can be corrected, at least in part, in the gym. McG has one fault that cannot be corrected ( for a half back) , unless he is one of those rare Marty types that keeps getting taller even when they are over 18, and 2 other faults that may be inherent and not correctable. So weaknesses might be the thing that splits them in the end.

Lets not get too seduced by the fact that running defenders are exciting to watch, as compared with ones that just kick or handball, because they draw our focus for a longer period of time and build up anticipation to the spectator experience, even if the running defender only achieves the same effect as a longer kick most of the time. By contrast a really good consistent goal kicker is gold.

Midfielders with the pace and explosiveness to accelerate out of congestion and stoppages are pretty handy too. It’s one of the reasons guys like Dangerfield, Martin, Ablett, and Shuey are so good. Ideally this would be the kind of role McGrath could fill in the future.

The 4 mids you just quoted are 4 of the very best goal kicking mids in the comp.
McGrath playing through the midfield doesn’t kick goals.
His best games have been when he gathers plenty of footy in the defensive half.
Brodie is another mid and he had more shots on goal in the GF than McGrath has had playing mid in the TAC cup season.
McGrath’s reading of the play and the way he follows the ball is exceptional in the defensive half, opposite at this stage in the offensive half.
His anticipation of where the ball is heading in the forward half hasn’t been displayed in any of his games.
His best result playing as a forward has been 2 goals at school footy level, this will not be a strength at AFL level.

We need explosive pace. McGrath.

At the combine McGrath listed at 177cm, McCluggage 186cm
I have concerns about McGraths height at AFL level, his natural position through juniors has been 1/2 back, this is a position he will need to play at times and he very well could be exploited due to his height.

At the combine McGrath listed at 177cm, McCluggage 186cm I have concerns about McGraths height at AFL level, his natural position through juniors has been 1/2 back, this is a position he will need to play at times and he very well could be exploited due to his height.

The part that surprises me is that nobody seems to talk about that as a negative. Yet at this time last year height was the main negative for Parish and he is 180cm.

At the combine McGrath listed at 177cm, McCluggage 186cm I have concerns about McGraths height at AFL level, his natural position through juniors has been 1/2 back, this is a position he will need to play at times and he very well could be exploited due to his height.

The part that surprises me is that nobody seems to talk about that as a negative. Yet at this time last year height was the main negative for Parish and he is 180cm.

I know and on top of this at least with Parish he is as pure a mid as you are likely to ever get, knows when to defend and knows when to run forward, very much like SPS, height will never be an issue as he is a pure mid, both won’t be playing across the 1/2 back line where height can be a let down.

I would rather SPS at 1 over McGrath, SPS is nearly the perfect footballer, he defends really well, he can get forward on you, beautifully skilled, has magic to weave his way out of trouble, his side steps are ridiculous.
He is a pure midfielder, not a forward mid or defensive mid.

I would honestly like to know what McGrath does better than SPS other then shut down opponents when at 1/2 back.
Watching both I think SPS is the better footballer and every bit a sure thing.
SPS will be elite.

Injuries have been his only down fall which will see him become a steal in this draft.
Probably the only player I wish could have had a full year to show how good he really is.

Always an interesting read... here is Knightmare's October Power Rankings and player write-ups. Has Taranto surging up to 4th.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/17750260/knightmare-afl-draft-power-rankings-october

Looking at the listed weaknesses on the top 2. McL has lack of strength faults that can be corrected, at least in part, in the gym. McG has one fault that cannot be corrected ( for a half back) , unless he is one of those rare Marty types that keeps getting taller even when they are over 18, and 2 other faults that may be inherent and not correctable. So weaknesses might be the thing that splits them in the end.

Lets not get too seduced by the fact that running defenders are exciting to watch, as compared with ones that just kick or handball, because they draw our focus for a longer period of time and build up anticipation to the spectator experience, even if the running defender only achieves the same effect as a longer kick most of the time. By contrast a really good consistent goal kicker is gold.

You’re marking ‘height’ as a weakness, when with it, comes his superior speed and agility. So… comparatively, not a weakness, but a trade off.

No one talks about Zerrett’s height as a negative any more either.

I thought like Ainsworth, McGrath was strong overhead despite his height?

Is everyone just going to ignore McGraths jumping tests? More than makes up for his height

I thought like Ainsworth, McGrath was strong overhead despite his height?

For me, this is exactly the point. If you are going to take a bloke under 180cm at pick #1, I would’ve thought Ainsworth was that player.

I’m not at all convinced that SPS or Brodie aren’t still in the pick #1 picture.

Is everyone just going to ignore McGraths jumping tests? More than makes up for his height

Can do, but depends. Won’t help if the opponent doesn’t let him jump.

And those people who have argued McC is too small at 186 cm to be a midfielder seemingly don’t think that is a problem for McG who is ~10cm shorter.

And those people who have argued McC is too small at 186 cm to be a midfielder seemingly don’t think that is a problem for McG who is ~10cm shorter.

Who would you back in a marking contest: the 191 cm David Myers, or the 180 cm Mark Baguley?

I think ‘small’ in this case refers to body type - McC clearly a beanpole at this stage (His body shape reminds me of Lachie Whitfield/Josh Kelly, not massive units but still very very good footy players) whereas McG is a lot more solid/“AFL ready”

What is McGrath's contested stats? I keep hearing McCluggage mentioned when they are at 40-50%. I'd love to know if this is a strength or weakness with McGrath.
Averages the 4th most clearnaces at TAC cup level with 6.7 a game. Uses his body extremely well at clearances and has that break away speed.
But but but he's a defender!
Goal kicking mids! Goal kicking mids!
Venables, Galluci, Ainsworth, Powell-Pepper, Taranto. Don't need a top 2 pick to get one of those in this draft!
I would love to list all the mids who don't kick goals, but don't have enough time. stupid post is stupid. there are 10x the amount of mids who don't kick goals.
Huh? How is that relevant? My point is that there are a number of goal kicking mids in this year's draft, who are expected to go anywhere from #4 to #25 depending on the individual, fitting a range of draft strategies. So if the goal is to get a goal kicking mid, you don't need to spend #1 on it.

McGraths height does not have any effect on his ability to mark a contested ball. Hes leap from his athletics background plays a massive role in allowing him to outmark players 10cm taller than him. He has all the tools besides a few centimeters (which he makes up for anyway) to become a great player at the next level.

McGraths height does not have any effect on his ability to mark a contested ball. Hes leap from his athletics background plays a massive role in allowing him to outmark players 10cm taller than him. He has all the tools besides a few centimeters (which he makes up for anyway) to become a great player at the next level.

His explosive pace around stoppages is very enticing.

I think his leap makes up for his height to a degree. But he can easily be nudged under the ball or blocked from running and jumping at the ball. Much contested marking is pure strength and height. He won’t have the opportunity to jump in a marking duel.

I said in an other thread that he reminds me of a cross between Winderlich and Merrett. He’d be incredibly dangerous one out in the goal square with his pace and jump. Has the gut running ability to break the lines. But also has the Zac Merrett ability as a little bloke to get inside at the coal face and dish the ball out with a hand ball.

Want Ronke.

It’s good to have low expectations

Tell us what you really think. ,!