Tac/u18 Thread

Keen to see Robbo's Phantom Draft in the HS

Apparently it’s out Nov 26

yeah i’d love to read a phantom draft by a slobbering drunk moron who doesnt watch u18 footy.

Robbo’s Phantom Draft
Pick 1: Essendon…

Player:

Its funny because he has a severe problem

He’s problem is that he’s in the wrong job.

Cal Twomey Podcast 3rd nov 2016

McLuggage or McGrath

Currently most draft prospects are doing exams, clubs encouraged not to speak to them until exams over etc.

Cal Twomey Phantom form guide will drop on friday 18th November a week before the draft, top 30.
Mock draft released 2 days before the draft.

Ben Jarman - Hawks didnt nominate. Crows did, Expects if a pick in the 50’s will come bid will be matched. Will be the first father son player in Crows history.
Calum Brown & Josh Daicos will go to pies unless bids come early bids might come after pies pick 28

Jake Waterman - West Coast Eagles surprised if pick comes before pick 35. kicked 5 goals in a WAFL game earlier in the year.

5 father son nominations
29 academy nominations
most likely
Lions - Jacob Allison, Declan Watson
Gold Coast - Jack Bowes, Brad Scheer, Josh WIlliams
Giants - ■■■■■■■, perryman, setterfield are the most certain ones - Tiziani a chance of later on, most other guys go into open pool - macreadie, Sproule, Mutch.

Talks about Ben Ainsworth - Happy to go to lions, has to move from Morwell anyway. will be in the mix at pick 3.
Sam Petrevski-Setons story will be up next week AFL Video.

Who are swans interested in at pick 9 - Griffen Logue - key defender, Jy Simpkin (mid) might be top 12

Who are North interested in at pick 11. will there be a slider? Ollie Florent, Jarrod Berry - quick skillful outside mid is what they would be looking for would love Petrevski-Seton.

Brad - Who will Essendon pick with 20 & 29?
Tall - Josh Battle, Essendon look a bit obscure with later picks - Redman/Morgan last year.

Who will hawks pick at 88 - may not be 88 may be 68 with bids and other clubs leaving draft early.
Has no idea - Hawks probably not sure yet either.

Benfti - Where will Willie Rioli drop - A rookie, has talent as a small forward.

CNJ - Carry on Luggage or Glen MCGRath - McLuggage for me. WHat do ess lack - goal kicking mid and speed - Hugh offers goals, 25 goals in TAC is rare, silky smart, creative with ball, outside mid adds polish.
McGrath is the half back/inside mid which adds speed - reminds people of wanganeen - do they take pendelbury or wanaganeen player?
McGrath has more leadership presence than Hugh at the moment.
Goals factor pushes McLuggage ahead

If Essendon take McGrath would Giants take Ainsworth and Giants end up with McLuggage - yes its a possiblity.

Mcgrath/Mcluggage/Ainsworth firming for top 3 spots.

Are the Bombers a real chance of bidding on will Setterfield. If they do then they will get him as giants would rate mcgrath ahead of him.
Tactically there is no point, only reason if rate him number 1 ind raft.

Will Ollie Florent get to crows at 13. Wait and see.

Who are the top 3 ruckman in the draft
Tim English 205 cm forward, great below knees, good kick.
Tony Elango - tried out for Glasgow Rangers, pretty athletic.

Rhys Venables or Simpkin a good fit for dogs - Simpkin wont be available at 18. Venables might be.
Will Heyward might get there or Cedric Cox at Dogs pick.

Any chance Cedric cox slides to 35. Halls Creek will be producing 2 players in the top 30 - SPP & Cedric Cox. Halls Creek population approx 1000.

There will be a live draft show on draft day with Cal Twomey/Nat Edwards Friday November 25.

What i had been saying in the mock 10 that people have done Jy, Logue and Florent for their pick 9

Plus

Tall - Josh Battle, Essendon look a bit obscure with later picks - Redman/Morgan last year

Please nope, Just go Ryan at 30 to replace Hibberd and the slider at 20

What i had been saying in the mock 10 that people have done Jy, Logue and Florent for their pick 9

Plus

Tall - Josh Battle, Essendon look a bit obscure with later picks - Redman/Morgan last year

There are heaps of players at 41 we could get that could replace Hibberd players like Morrish, Morrison, Hinge and Walker are all decent half back options.

Plus

There are heaps of players at 41 we could get that could replace Hibberd players like Morrish, Morrison, Hinge and Walker are all decent half back options.

Any from Frankston? They’re our go-to for small/mid defenders.

Plus

I just think we need some that is speculative see Morgan

@ Alan_Noonan_10
Considering frankston have gone bust we could get the whole team

I can see Dodoro bidding on Daicos at 41 if no one else has yet.

Catching up on some champs replays. I’d forgotten how bad the commentary is. They spent the entire first quarter ignoring the play in favour of verbally starfucking Kevin Sheahan when he came in for a content-free interview, and most of the third trying and failing to explain the stupid anti-flooding zone rule that was supposed to speed the game up in a simple and intuitive fashion…

1 Like

Oh yes, and half way through the final qtr with the margin 4 points is EXACTLY the right time to talk to the Brissy recruiter (who obviously wants you to fuck off) about josh frigging schache for 10 minutes…

Numbskulls.

Oh yes, and half way through the final qtr with the margin 4 points is EXACTLY the right time to talk to the Brissy recruiter (who obviously wants you to fuck off) about josh frigging schache for 10 minutes...

Numbskulls.

It would be almost as bad as a highly respected blitz poster watching the game and then rather than giving insight into the players, spend the entire post complaining about the commentary. I mean, who does that?

:wink:

C’mon HM… give us your opinion.

kevin sheahan adds very little to commentary on U18 games.

“Ah yes [player X] a tall, rangy type. 188cm from the western jets.” repeat ad nauseum

yeah great insight Shifter.

1 Like
Oh yes, and half way through the final qtr with the margin 4 points is EXACTLY the right time to talk to the Brissy recruiter (who obviously wants you to fuck off) about josh frigging schache for 10 minutes...

Numbskulls.

It would be almost as bad as a highly respected blitz poster watching the game and then rather than giving insight into the players, spend the entire post complaining about the commentary. I mean, who does that?

Haha, was planning to watch a few on the trot before commenting - these are televised games that have been talked about on here before, after all! VM vs Allies.

Basically, confirmed a lot of opinions i already had, though it was good to see some blokes like Venables who I didn’t catch in TAC Cup.

Marshall extremely inconsistent over the course of a game and often put in sub-10-touch efforts, but his best is #1 pick standard. Touch, soft hands, tackling, contested marking and time/vision, all in a 198cm guy. Long term project player and risky pick with genuine bust potential, but huge ceiling.

Someone’s going to convince themselves Venables in the next Dangerfield and pick him earlier than most expect. They could be right too. I like how he is always the one that makes stuff happen. Needs to get more outside linkup ball, but again, huge ceiling.

Being a gun underage ruckman in the champs doesn’t always bode well for you in your draft year, but Hayes was awesome.

Setterfield is top 5 quality imho. Up there with Brodie in his contested work, generally gets lower numbers but probably more versatile, I’ve seen him play a very good leading forward’s game, and his defensive work & tackling is excellent.

Perryman could be worth considering as a hb option with our second pick. Ultra reliable, cool under pressure, and rebounds well.

Taranto pretty quiet. Florent didn’t get huge numbers but showed that bit of extra class a few times, you can tell he has it.

Commentators talking up Spargo continually, he’s a great ball winner but I’m not sure about his foot disposal. we’ll see how he develops next year (then GWS will get him for basically nothing)

I liked Sproule’s game - best I’ve seen him play as a forward. Really good work rate, led to the right places and at the right times, held his marks, and kicked accurately. Consensus seems to be GWS will pass him over in order to spend their points elsewhere, if so he might be worth a look. I had him pegged as a backman but he was a handful at ff in this game.

Not sure I see Nick Larkey making the AFL grade personally. Love his effort and work rate, just don’t think he’s quite there skill-wise.

Lyons needs to be talked about more. He’s very, very good every time he plays, against any opposition, and continually racks it up and hits the scoreboard. Perhaps gets overshadowed by the bigger names at Sandringham? I’ve never seen him play anything other than very well.

Clarke didn’t do anythign to dispel the image of him as a one-dimensional contested-ball winner with mediocre skills on the outside. Annoyingly, I saw him play 3rd man in defence last year and he showed great anticipation and run&carry. Where did that side of his game go?

Gallucci was prominent late. Just something about him doesn’t quite sit right with me. Effective player for the most part, but kinda always looks rushed. No evidence, but gut feeling is telling me he might be one that struggles to make the step up.

Apparently some bloke called McGrath played too…

1 Like

Numbskulls.

Lyons needs to be talked about more. He’s very, very good every time he plays, against any opposition, and continually racks it up and hits the scoreboard. Perhaps gets overshadowed by the bigger names at Sandringham? I’ve never seen him play anything other than very well.

Yeah I don't get the lack of talk for Lyons I think he played nearly every game for Sandringham as an underager getting in the bests quite frequently and his last quarter in that first final pretty much won them the game. The clutch goal he kicked was great.

Seems to be a lot of nearly players

Inside mid can’t do much else

Players that rush

And if you just played 4 quarters please and thank you

Players that rush

If you’re not familiar with my reports, i try to look for the negatives on all players i talk about, however minor they might be. Cos everyone’s got them, it’s all about how serious they are and how well they can be overcome.

It does have the side-effect of making it sound like I reckon the draft pool is mediocre and full of nearly players every year though!

1 Like

Players that rush

If you’re not familiar with my reports, i try to look for the negatives on all players i talk about, however minor they might be. Cos everyone’s got them, it’s all about how serious they are and how well they can be overcome.

It does have the side-effect of making it sound like I reckon the draft pool is mediocre and full of nearly players every year though!

Just on that, who has been the most complete midfielder at under 18 level that you have seen i.e. it is hard to find any fault in their game. According to many pundits, Jaeger O’Meara was as close to this description as just about anyone. Looking at his clips in his draft year he looked like an absolute beast. Inside/outside balance, kicked goals, quick enough, good mark. Anyone else come close in your time following?

Corey Lyons
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ydsBHSU6sDE

Thank for the post HM, Lyons is someone I haven’t really noticed. Looks good in tight and with the link up. Kicks a little floaty over distance.

Would be rapt if we picked up either Venables or Sproule, perhaps Sproule is more likely given our draft position.

Players that rush

Just on that, who has been the most complete midfielder at under 18 level that you have seen i.e. it is hard to find any fault in their game. According to many pundits, Jaeger O’Meara was as close to this description as just about anyone. Looking at his clips in his draft year he looked like an absolute beast. Inside/outside balance, kicked goals, quick enough, good mark. Anyone else come close in your time following?

Swallow another, D Martin was pretty ■■■■■■ awesome.
Still one of the best I’ve ever seen was Bennell, had faults but when he’s on no one will stop him, and I love the style he plays.
Sorry for chipping in.
Still the 2 best I’ve ever seen at underage level was Buckley and Wanganeen, these 2 were in a class of their own, my old man lived and breathed Port Adelaide, Fos Williams picked up my dad for his 1st ever game of footy back when Williams was coach, anyway that is a whole another story.
Funny cause I can’t stand Port.

1 Like

Players that rush

Yeah, The Bomb probably picked the same ones as I would have. O’meara, Bennell, Swallow. I didn’t see much u18 footy in martin’s year but what I did see was spectacular. Heppell and Scully both had extraordinarily dominant seasons but did have areas for improvement you could see, it was more that they were incredibly prolific at doing what they did well.

(I stand by my opinion that Scully would have been an absolute star at AFL level if he hadn’t damaged his knee in a TAC cup prelim just before getting drafted, he never quite regained his agility & change of direction)

1 Like

Players that rush

Yeah, The Bomb probably picked the same ones as I would have. O’meara, Bennell, Swallow. I didn’t see much u18 footy in martin’s year but what I did see was spectacular. Heppell and Scully both had extraordinarily dominant seasons but did have areas for improvement you could see, it was more that they were incredibly prolific at doing what they did well.

(I stand by my opinion that Scully would have been an absolute star at AFL level if he hadn’t damaged his knee in a TAC cup prelim just before getting drafted, he never quite regained his agility & change of direction)

I like the negatives haha but knightmares reports sounds kinda similar just a few things to work on