Tac/u18 Thread

Thanks HM for that report, always a good read… And gives the rest of us tragics something to talk about. Much appreciated.

Aaand and the first 10 minutes of commentary in the next game is all about trying to justify how the stupid anti-zoning rules are all for the clubs benefit, even though the clubs all despise it and wish it would go away. But the afl knows better of course…

Oh ■■■■ off, not jerking off Sheahan rather than commentating the game again…

Oh ■■■■ off, not jerking off Sheahan rather than commentating the game again...
I take it your not a fan of Sheehan haha

And now they’re spending all the SECOND quarter gloating about pinching players who had cricket contracts in front of them. Call the game FFS!

‘The best in the business’

I don’t mind Sheahan at all, but there’s a time & place to be burbling on about how awesome the afl ais academy program is, and in the middle of play in the u18 champs is not it.

You’ve got the entirety of that self-promotion-fest they call TAC future stars to do that. Call the damn game!

I don’t mind Sheahan at all, but there’s a time & place to be burbling on about how awesome the afl ais academy program is, and in the middle of play in the u18 champs is not it.

You’ve got the entirety of that self-promotion-fest they call TAC future stars to do that. Call the damn game!

Might help if they get some people on that follow the draft a lot more. Kevin should probly be a commentator instead of them going back and forth with him

I dunno, they seem to know the players really well, they id blokes with no hesitation during the commentary & have the facts at their fingertips. I just think they PREFER to rabbit on about afl-related stuff, maybe to relate to viewers who don’t follow the draft much?

They’re perfectly competent, they’re just CHOOSING to be useless, which is what makes it so annoying.

And now we’re going on about how clever the afl is to allow underagers to play champs cos it gives clubs a chance to look at next years crop so they can decide whether or not to trade future draft picks.

Underagers were playing in the champs for 20 years before future draft picks were tradeable, you sisterlicking fuckknuckles.

Sounds like the cricket commentators who is worse?

F*** I love HM, just calls it as he sees it.
Imagine calling the Melbourne cup and talking about how great the VRC have been and how awesome Flemington is half way through the race.
Some people should just focus on the job at hand.

Cricket finished at the end of the 2006/07 Ashes. Everything since then has been an unwanted and unnecessary sequel, and as such I haven’t watched it.

SA vs VC tonight.

Very hard to evaluate the mids in this game. SA was just so much better organised and drilled, VC boys were having to do everything through solo efforts and kept missing targets through not knowing their teammates’ running patterns, while the SA guys know each other and were a well-oiled machine. So every SA mid looked great and every VC mid looked worse than they are.

This is the first time I’ve seen SA so I’m still getting to know the players & will focus more on the VC guys cos I know them better.

Ainsworth played very well - was arrogant (which can be a plus and a minus) and sometimes tried to do too much, but i liked his turning circle, his balance, and his flat, accurate kicks going forward on a day when VC bombed all the time. Got better as the game went on.

Some people will try to tell you Darcy is a draftable ruck prospect. Don’t believe them.

Lots of inside mid prospects in this game. Brodie, Scharenberg, Atley, Drew, Graham, and Poholke. I actually think Scharenberg and Brodie are a level of talent above the others, even though others would have gotten more of the ball. This is a type of player that it’s hard to judge, but personally I look for a bit of calmness, a willingness to step sideways, to lower the eyes, or to handball backwards. Lots of u18 inside mids get by on crashing through and bombing forward, and that just doesn’t translate to the next level.

Graham has everything you’d want in a mid except for accurate kicking. Ball magnet, explosive pace away from the contest, just wastes it too often.

Scharenberg was very impressive. No big weapon that I could see but did almost nothing wrong. Composed and productive mid, his strength seems to be inside but he is a perfectly competent linkman through smarts & positioning, even though he’s never going to break the lines with sheer pace or drop lace out 65m passes into the f50.

Brodie was unobtrusive and didn’t put in huge numbers even though he was in his side’s top 3 possession getters, but he’s just got a bit better vision and time, even though he never seems to be going very fast (did cough up a goal with massive shank when centering to CHB one time though)

Loved Drew’s attack on the ball, and his strength in the air, but his decison making under pressure tends toward hoof-and-hope. Atley didn’t get as much clean ball, but had a dose of the same problem.

I liked Piper a lot, back pocket type who can rebound or defend equally. Locked down well on Jarman who early looked as if he was going to kick 10. Competent, reliable, but isn’t afraid to dash, unlike some competent, reliable, but overly conservative small defenders. Definitely worth a look late, possible Bags successor?

Villis only got 13 touches in the middle and accross hb, but I liked how he was always utterly calm and unruffled, and his footskills were surgical. was in the news this week after being diagnosed with a heart condition unfortunately, dunno what that means re his draft prospects.

Hard to evaluate Battle’s AFL prospects. He’s the ultimate team player - runs like a manic, crashes packs to bring the ball to ground, chases, pressures, shepherds. His engine is great, he’s got good hands and is usually a very safe shot on goal. If he was 5cm taller or a metre faster he’d be definite top 10 material, but so often I see him held quiet by lesser players who are simply just taller and quicker than him. He normally manages to slip the leash briefly for a goal or two through workrate even on his bad days, but will he be able to do this a level up where everyone’s fitter?

Stengle looked deadly dangerous all day and i was surprised to see he only ended up with 1 goal and 13 touches. Probably had a couple of assists though. Definite small forward prospect.

Pittman a nuggety little inside mid who backs it up with a dangerous long left foot, a bit Daniel Rich-ish. Height maybe a question, but worth a look.

Ratugolea apparently came into the season off a knee injury and had little preseason, which makes me more interested in him given one of my questions on him was his tank. Love his second efforts and closing pace when he has the awareness to use it. Kpp project who’ll take time, but the body and athleticism are already there. Needs to start taking his marks with arms outstretched though, he bends his elbows & takes them in front of his face, which will give a spoiler too much opportunity at the next level up.

Yeah, McCluggage played too…

1 Like

After the first ball of the new ball yesterday mark Taylor said ‘there is already a bit of reverse (swing) there’

You are teasing hm

Cricket finished at the end of the 2006/07 Ashes. Everything since then has been an unwanted and unnecessary sequel, and as such I haven’t watched it.

SA vs VC tonight.

Very hard to evaluate the mids in this game. SA was just so much better organised and drilled, VC boys were having to do everything through solo efforts and kept missing targets through not knowing their teammates’ running patterns, while the SA guys know each other and were a well-oiled machine. So every SA mid looked great and every VC mid looked worse than they are.

This is the first time I’ve seen SA so I’m still getting to know the players & will focus more on the VC guys cos I know them better.

Ainsworth played very well - was arrogant (which can be a plus and a minus) and sometimes tried to do too much, but i liked his turning circle, his balance, and his flat, accurate kicks going forward on a day when VC bombed all the time. Got better as the game went on.

Some people will try to tell you Darcy is a draftable ruck prospect. Don’t believe them.

Lots of inside mid prospects in this game. Brodie, Scharenberg, Atley, Drew, Graham, and Poholke. I actually think Scharenberg and Brodie are a level of talent above the others, even though others would have gotten more of the ball. This is a type of player that it’s hard to judge, but personally I look for a bit of calmness, a willingness to step sideways, to lower the eyes, or to handball backwards. Lots of u18 inside mids get by on crashing through and bombing forward, and that just doesn’t translate to the next level.

Graham has everything you’d want in a mid except for accurate kicking. Ball magnet, explosive pace away from the contest, just wastes it too often.

Scharenberg was very impressive. No big weapon that I could see but did almost nothing wrong. Composed and productive mid, his strength seems to be inside but he is a perfectly competent linkman through smarts & positioning, even though he’s never going to break the lines with sheer pace or drop lace out 65m passes into the f50.

Brodie was unobtrusive and didn’t put in huge numbers even though he was in his side’s top 3 possession getters, but he’s just got a bit better vision and time, even though he never seems to be going very fast (did cough up a goal with massive shank when centering to CHB one time though)

Loved Drew’s attack on the ball, and his strength in the air, but his decison making under pressure tends toward hoof-and-hope. Atley didn’t get as much clean ball, but had a dose of the same problem.

I liked Piper a lot, back pocket type who can rebound or defend equally. Locked down well on Jarman who early looked as if he was going to kick 10. Competent, reliable, but isn’t afraid to dash, unlike some competent, reliable, but overly conservative small defenders. Definitely worth a look late, possible Bags successor?

Villis only got 13 touches in the middle and accross hb, but I liked how he was always utterly calm and unruffled, and his footskills were surgical. was in the news this week after being diagnosed with a heart condition unfortunately, dunno what that means re his draft prospects.

Hard to evaluate Battle’s AFL prospects. He’s the ultimate team player - runs like a manic, crashes packs to bring the ball to ground, chases, pressures, shepherds. His engine is great, he’s got good hands and is usually a very safe shot on goal. If he was 5cm taller or a metre faster he’d be definite top 10 material, but so often I see him held quiet by lesser players who are simply just taller and quicker than him. He normally manages to slip the leash briefly for a goal or two through workrate even on his bad days, but will he be able to do this a level up where everyone’s fitter?

Stengle looked deadly dangerous all day and i was surprised to see he only ended up with 1 goal and 13 touches. Probably had a couple of assists though. Definite small forward prospect.

Pittman a nuggety little inside mid who backs it up with a dangerous long left foot, a bit Daniel Rich-ish. Height maybe a question, but worth a look.

Ratugolea apparently came into the season off a knee injury and had little preseason, which makes me more interested in him given one of my questions on him was his tank. Love his second efforts and closing pace when he has the awareness to use it. Kpp project who’ll take time, but the body and athleticism are already there. Needs to start taking his marks with arms outstretched though, he bends his elbows & takes them in front of his face, which will give a spoiler too much opportunity at the next level up.

Yeah, McCluggage played too…

I’ve found Pittman very impressive every time I’ve seen him, just gets the job done, but looks like a good pre season will do him the world of good.

Road to Draft podcast
Top 30 Mock Draft - Not where expect to go just best rated 30, that would be good fit for clubs at selections.
Cal Twomey & Ablett (AFL Talent manager) taking turns with picks.
1 Hugh Mc Luggage EFC
2 Andrew McGrath GWS
3 Jack Bowes SUNS matched bid
4 Ben Ainsworth LIONS
5 Will Setterfield GWS matched bid
6 Sam Petrevski-Seton CARL
7 Will Brodie SUNS
8 Griffen Logue FREO
9 Tim Taranto SUNS
10 Jy Simpkin SYD
11 Tim English SUNS
12 Harry Perryman GWS matched Bid
13 Jack Scrimshaw NORTH
14 Jarrod Berry WCE
15 Will Hayward ADEL
16 Josh Battle PORT
17 Oliver Florent LIONS
18 Alex Witherden PORT
19 Todd Marshall DOGS
20 Jordan Galluci SYD
21 Sam Powell-Pepper ESS
22 Daniel Veneables LIONS
23 Brennan Cox LIONS
24 Shai Bolton STK
25 Cedric Cox GEEL
26 Patrick Kerr CARL
27 Isaac ■■■■■■■ GWS matched Bid
28 Jordan Ridley DOGS
29 Kobe Mutch RICH (GWS didn’t Match)
30 Sam Walker COLL

Still on the table - Long & Rioli for our pick 29.

ESS McLuggage + Powell- Pepper
Suns Bowes, Brodie, Taranto, English
GWS McGrath, Setterfield, Perryman, ■■■■■■■

That’s a fair old haul for Suns.

GWS McGrath, Setterfield, Perryman, ■■■■■■■

Yep - I reckon they would be with that result.

That's a fair old haul for Suns.

Won’t matter when they’re all playing in Victoria by 2020 :wink: