Tac/u18 Thread

That size dilemma would have been the same that Freo had when selecting Fyfe, its up to the recruiters to do their research on a physical level to see how they develop, usually even family history can play a big part.

2 Likes

That is a great illustration of the dilemma because Fyfe was picked in the 20s if I recall correctly. Can we affird to wait for a kid like Rozee to grow, or are we best served to pick a Hately who is already playing senior footy in the midfield. I am leaning toward the Hately optionā€¦unless of course we snag Dylan Sheil in a trade. :slight_smile:

Just on Hateley from the very limited Iā€™ve seen, his kicking worries me.

2 Likes

I think we can find a Hately type with our 2nd pick, id prefer we take the most talented players with our first pick and despite Hatelyā€™s SANFL form i dont think he has the pure talent of Rozee or Hill. Hately is a bigger body so he will always play better against stronger bodies now. Rozeeā€™s senior form since making his debut has been pretty damn good and despite his size i can see him playing senior football early at the right club, i hear the dogs might be keen with their first pick and i could see him having a similar impact to what Stephenson has had for Collingwood this year.

3 Likes

Its inconsistent a bit like Heppell, i see him becoming a similar player aswell which isnt a bad thing but may mean he never becomes and out and out gun midfielder like a Walsh should become.

Priority 1: Elite kick
Priority 2: Whatever

3 Likes

Langford clearly wasnā€™t right yesterday and we have plenty of inside talent developing in the twos + begley who looks a natural inside mid assuming his knee comes good. Besides, we are three years from fixing that problem via the draft. If it is genuinely an issue then we need to trade a gun mid in. We have assets

First pick - best available

Then we look at what stocks we need to replenish in the next 3 years.

Bellcho, Hooker, Baguley, Goddard

3 Likes

Hard pressed not to pull the trigger on one the King boys if still available. Would make a great Hooker replacement or forward buddy for Joe. Rozee is one I also like the sound of, but if a King boy is there, we must grab him and hope we can find a midfield gem at our 2nd pick.

Ruck will be an issue in a couple of years and because they take so long to develop, we need to be looking local leagues interstate to find a cheap but mature backup until Drapes is ready.

1 Like

Yeah I agree there, both King boys could legitimately end up as ruckmen too.

Edit: wouldnā€™t be picking them if I didnā€™t think they could play forward/ruck though. We donā€™t need any more tall defenders!

I still think it would be a good idea to try and get 2x late 1sts/early 2nds; a combination of Stack and Williams would be better than a one of King, Hill or Rozee. Stack isnā€™t far off Hill, and is a more inside and Williams would arguably make a better dual position ruck than the Kings (though both of them are better forwards and Daniher is ruck capable)

Max King is a gun forward. It would be very hard to ignore him unless one of the actual gun mids slid to our pick.

Agree, though I just canā€™t imagine him being looked over 8 times.

If Gold Coast were smart they try and snare both brothers, especially with Lynch leaving and doubt around May.

1 Like

Slided.
Sled.
ā€¦slud.

1 Like

Slide will do, or even slip

Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s slud.
Like glide, glided, glud.

1 Like

English has never been my favourite subject, so you may be right

jl

Iā€™ve heard that before with McCartin, Schache, Watts, Butcher, Weidemen, Day, Gorringe, Gumbleton etc all highly touted talls going early and all failing to deliver.

1 Like

Max King plays closer to Daniher/Lynch who have succeeded as gun key forwards and top 10 picks, injury would be the only thing keeping him from those heights imo.

His body looks like Hipwoodā€™s, how does his athleticism compare?