Tac/u18 Thread

Nobody in Boyd's league I don't think. McCartin was the kpp at Geelong better than Goddard i was alluding to, strong-marking 195cm type who can genuinely play both ends (Goddard hasn't quite got his strength/mongrel). Wright is this year's 200cm beanpole who can ruck a little, showed some real glimpses last year but I haven't seen him this year yet, his pace/leap will be likely the only possible doubts on him. Moore has been talked up big, but he's a pies f/s pick and while I haven't seen him play I've heard some queries on him too, but he's started the season well There's a couple of interstaters I won't see til the champs, blokes like Watchman, Hayes and Ah Siu.
Cameron Conlon is the forgotten man of course, but he hasn't played yet this year, not sure why, but given his injury history it's a big worry.

Thanks HM & Dunlop,
Interesting that Cameron Conlon hasn't played since he was highly rated before his injury troubles. Could me Gumby mkII the way he is going.
I think we will definitely be looking to target key tall forwards this season in the draft so it is interesting to hear about some of the talent kicking around.
McCartin sounds right up our alley.

Bill Framptom and Jesse Mirco WSPTU

Cameron Conlon had knee surgery in March.  Not sure exactly what surgery, but it was significant.  Don't THINK is was a reco, but not sure.  Bloke can't take a trick.

Anyone else at the game at Pricefixer today?

If anyone knows if 1) jake long is playing and 2) what number he is that would be helpful. NT lead VC lead 8-7. Parfitt looks good.

Edit: He’s not playing.

Tilmouth-Turner kicks his second NT lead 14-7

Can’t see a scoreboard but I think it’s 4.2 a piece at 1/4 time. Shache with 2 for VC. Mostly a scrappy game in the middle.

VC lead 11.6 to NT 4.5 at 1/2 time. Have liked Schache, Butler and Mellington for VC, Parfitt and Hagan for NT. Mennen kicked a cracking goal on the run during the 2nd.

Good article about a bloke I liked as a late pick chance last year.  My main concern was how he tailed off as the season wore on and missed a bunch of footy, but this explains things.  Frigging naviculars.  Sounds like he won't be a late pick this year though.  Big, poised inside midfielder with good vision and lateral movement.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/north/northern-knights-midfielder-jordan-perry-back-and-firing-in-tac-cup-after-suffering-serious-injury-last-year/story-fngnvocb-1226891962346

Northern Knights midfielder Jordan Perry back and firing in TAC Cup after suffering serious injury last year
  • Chris Cavanagh
  • Preston Leader
  • April 22, 2014 9:52AM

962320-3ffd6578-c616-11e3-8bab-a811fb5e7

Northern Knights midfielder Jordan Perry in action in the TAC Cup this season. Photo: David Smith Source: News Corp Australia

IT was almost a year ago now, but the date is one that Jordan Perry will not being forgetting anytime soon.

May 12, 2013, was the day the then 18-year-old AFL draft hopeful was told by doctors that he had a stress fracture in the navicular bone in his foot.

Navicular bone injuries have derailed the careers of several AFL players, Geelong‘s Matthew Egan one of them, not playing again after fracturing his in season 2007.

Bluntly put, if the navicular bone does not repair itself it is career over for a footballer.

So for Perry the news was a serious blow, his dreams of an AFL career not having even started.

“I kept playing a bit when it was a little bit sore and I thought it might just go away like a normal injury but it persisted for a bit and then I got it checked out and unfortunately it wasn‘t great news,” the Northern Knights midfielder told the Leader.

“They said that there was no real reason, overuse was just what got me.”

Perry had been training with Vic Metro‘s under-18 squad as one of the brightest young football talents in the state at the time.

But the AFL Under-18 Championships went out the window, as did the TAC Cup season, in which he managed just four games for the year as a result of the injury.

It was a long and painful road back, but the injury has mended and now Perry is very much back fit and firing.

Given a spot as one of three 19-year-olds on the Knights‘ list this year, the Thornbury resident only got back into full training for the final part of the club‘s pre-season campaign but has started the new season like he was there all along.

Perry had 35 disposals, 12 clearances and kicked a goal in the Knights‘ Round 4 outing against Easter Ranges last weekend, following on from a 30-disposal game against Sandrinham Dragons, 19 disposals against Calder Cannons and 25 disposals against Oakleigh Charges in the opening round.

The efforts have meant he has twice been named best-on-ground for the Knights while coaches rated him in the top three on the other two occasions.

It would be hard to find a player who has had a more impressive opening month in the competition.

“I‘ve been able to get some consistency going which has been good but it‘s really just good to be out there playing I guess,” Perry said.

“It‘s the first time I‘ve been out there in about a year so it‘s been good.”

Now 19, Perry is still having weekly check-ups on the navicular bone, but it is not providing any issues so far.

He has again been selected in the Vic Metro under-18 squad, who he is training with, and is hopeful of getting some time in the spotlight at this year‘s Under-18 Championships.

“It‘s a good step up, competing with the best players in the TAC Cup,” he said.

“You challenge yourself that little bit more. It‘s been really good so far.”

If the AFL recruiters aren‘t circling yet, they may well be soon.

But Perry knows that despite all the hard yards he has gone through since May 12 last year, there is still plenty of work to do to achieve that dream of earning a spot on an AFL list.

“That‘s still a massive goal of mine (to be drafted),” Perry said.

“I‘m still working on that every day.”

Haven't been to any TAC games this year yet, Copped a really brutal dose of bronchitis, not quite up to spending my weekends out in the rain watching the u18s yet.  Maybe a couple more weeks and I can have a look what's going on...

Good article about a bloke I liked as a late pick chance last year. My main concern was how he tailed off as the season wore on and missed a bunch of footy, but this explains things. Frigging naviculars. Sounds like he won't be a late pick this year though. Big, poised inside midfielder with good vision and lateral movement.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/north/northern-knights-midfielder-jordan-perry-back-and-firing-in-tac-cup-after-suffering-serious-injury-last-year/story-fngnvocb-1226891962346

Northern Knights midfielder Jordan Perry back and firing in TAC Cup after suffering serious injury last year

• Chris Cavanagh
  • Preston Leader
  • April 22, 2014 9:52AM

962320-3ffd6578-c616-11e3-8bab-a811fb5e7
Northern Knights midfielder Jordan Perry in action in the TAC Cup this season. Photo: David Smith Source: News Corp Australia
IT was almost a year ago now, but the date is one that Jordan Perry will not being forgetting anytime soon.
May 12, 2013, was the day the then 18-year-old AFL draft hopeful was told by doctors that he had a stress fracture in the navicular bone in his foot.
Navicular bone injuries have derailed the careers of several AFL players, Geelong‘s Matthew Egan one of them, not playing again after fracturing his in season 2007.
Bluntly put, if the navicular bone does not repair itself it is career over for a footballer.
So for Perry the news was a serious blow, his dreams of an AFL career not having even started.
“I kept playing a bit when it was a little bit sore and I thought it might just go away like a normal injury but it persisted for a bit and then I got it checked out and unfortunately it wasn‘t great news,” the Northern Knights midfielder told the Leader.
“They said that there was no real reason, overuse was just what got me.”
Perry had been training with Vic Metro‘s under-18 squad as one of the brightest young football talents in the state at the time.
But the AFL Under-18 Championships went out the window, as did the TAC Cup season, in which he managed just four games for the year as a result of the injury.
It was a long and painful road back, but the injury has mended and now Perry is very much back fit and firing.
Given a spot as one of three 19-year-olds on the Knights‘ list this year, the Thornbury resident only got back into full training for the final part of the club‘s pre-season campaign but has started the new season like he was there all along.
Perry had 35 disposals, 12 clearances and kicked a goal in the Knights‘ Round 4 outing against Easter Ranges last weekend, following on from a 30-disposal game against Sandrinham Dragons, 19 disposals against Calder Cannons and 25 disposals against Oakleigh Charges in the opening round.
The efforts have meant he has twice been named best-on-ground for the Knights while coaches rated him in the top three on the other two occasions.
It would be hard to find a player who has had a more impressive opening month in the competition.
“I‘ve been able to get some consistency going which has been good but it‘s really just good to be out there playing I guess,” Perry said.
“It‘s the first time I‘ve been out there in about a year so it‘s been good.”
Now 19, Perry is still having weekly check-ups on the navicular bone, but it is not providing any issues so far.
He has again been selected in the Vic Metro under-18 squad, who he is training with, and is hopeful of getting some time in the spotlight at this year‘s Under-18 Championships.
“It‘s a good step up, competing with the best players in the TAC Cup,” he said.
“You challenge yourself that little bit more. It‘s been really good so far.”
If the AFL recruiters aren‘t circling yet, they may well be soon.
But Perry knows that despite all the hard yards he has gone through since May 12 last year, there is still plenty of work to do to achieve that dream of earning a spot on an AFL list.
“That‘s still a massive goal of mine (to be drafted),” Perry said.
“I‘m still working on that every day.”
Haven't been to any TAC games this year yet, Copped a really brutal dose of bronchitis, not quite up to spending my weekends out in the rain watching the u18s yet. Maybe a couple more weeks and I can have a look what's going on...

Where was he roughly expected to fall before he copped the injury HM?
Sounds like he could be one to keep a series eye on, by the sounds of it he may be a later pick this year coming off an injury like that.

Sounds like he could be one to keep a series eye on, by the sounds of it he may be a later pick this year coming off an injury like that.

He started to tail off before the champs last year, probably as a result of injury.  He played the champs, but deep in defense rather than in the guts where he belonged and was obviously hampered, and his performances weren't much to write home about.  I liked him a lot at the start of the year, but by the time the draft came around I was one of the few online people who remembered his name, and I wasn't surprised to see him go undrafted in the end, and that's even without me knowing about the navicular, which would have scared clubs a fair bit.  If he can stay fit this year and keep up these performances he's looking more solid a prospect though, even though 19yos are held to a higher standard by recruiters.  Good to see him running around again, anyway!

Somewhat gratifying to see him kicking on a bit this year though, just on a selfish level, reassures me a bit that I'm not completely talking out of my bum when it comes to talent identification!

He started to tail off before the champs last year, probably as a result of injury. He played the champs, but deep in defense rather than in the guts where he belonged and was obviously hampered, and his performances weren't much to write home about. I liked him a lot at the start of the year, but by the time the draft came around I was one of the few online people who remembered his name, and I wasn't surprised to see him go undrafted in the end, and that's even without me knowing about the navicular, which would have scared clubs a fair bit. If he can stay fit this year and keep up these performances he's looking more solid a prospect though, even though 19yos are held to a higher standard by recruiters. Good to see him running around again, anyway!
Somewhat gratifying to see him kicking on a bit this year though, just on a selfish level, reassures me a bit that I'm not completely talking out of my bum when it comes to talent identification!

Haha thanks HM I and many others appreciate the work you put in and information you share.
Based on those performances we should definitely keep an eye on him, sounds a likely prospect.

He started to tail off before the champs last year, probably as a result of injury.  He played the champs, but deep in defense rather than in the guts where he belonged and was obviously hampered, and his performances weren't much to write home about.  I liked him a lot at the start of the year, but by the time the draft came around I was one of the few online people who remembered his name, and I wasn't surprised to see him go undrafted in the end, and that's even without me knowing about the navicular, which would have scared clubs a fair bit.  If he can stay fit this year and keep up these performances he's looking more solid a prospect though, even though 19yos are held to a higher standard by recruiters.  Good to see him running around again, anyway!

Got Ben beaten hands down.

Got Ben beaten hands down.

Now now Reboot talent identification is not black and white

Lol.

Cheapshot.

Ben is pretty up front about saying he is pushing the barrow of the path less travelled rather than the TAC/Div 1 champs kids.

Who are almost by definition seen as less likely to make it.

I’m all for the 19 yo rule. I think it’s perfect for guys exactly like this but I just can’t work out though how a 19 yo plays in an under 18 carnival. That part doesn’t seem right

I'm all for the 19 yo rule. I think it's perfect for guys exactly like this but I just can't work out though how a 19 yo plays in an under 18 carnival. That part doesn't seem right

Generally a 19yo can't play in the u18 carnival unless through injury or late development, they were unable to play when they were 18.  And I think there's a limit to the number of 19yos a the state team gets to field at any given time too.

NT have a more generous allowance from memory, which is probably only fair enough given their very low population and the poor footy development environment many of their kids grow up in.

There was a 20yo who got to play in the TAC Cup a few years ago - Jackson Coleman I think - he was a kpf and was conspicuously better built than most of his 17/18yo opponents.  That was pretty seriously dodgy - apparently he got a special exemption from the rule because cricket wanted him as well and the AFL didn't want to lose him so, as usual, made the rules up as they went along.  Lots of other TAC sides were understandably ■■■■■■ off about that, but he didn't get to play in the u18 champs at least, unless my memory is playing tricks on me...

I'm all for the 19 yo rule. I think it's perfect for guys exactly like this but I just can't work out though how a 19 yo plays in an under 18 carnival. That part doesn't seem right

Generally a 19yo can't play in the u18 carnival unless through injury or late development, they were unable to play when they were 18.  And I think there's a limit to the number of 19yos a the state team gets to field at any given time too.

NT have a more generous allowance from memory, which is probably only fair enough given their very low population and the poor footy development environment many of their kids grow up in.

There was a 20yo who got to play in the TAC Cup a few years ago - Jackson Coleman I think - he was a kpf and was conspicuously better built than most of his 17/18yo opponents.  That was pretty seriously dodgy - apparently he got a special exemption from the rule because cricket wanted him as well and the AFL didn't want to lose him so, as usual, made the rules up as they went along.  Lots of other TAC sides were understandably ■■■■■■ off about that, but he didn't get to play in the u18 champs at least, unless my memory is playing tricks on me...

I knew of Jackson Coleman through cricket. I think he changed his mind on his preferred sport a number of times, like Meyrick Buchanan (who incidentally it seems has finally chosen footy after wasting a few years chopping and changing). Fair to say, though, that from what I've been told I don't think Jackson Coleman has much between the ears!

Generally a 19yo can't play in the u18 carnival unless through injury or late development, they were unable to play when they were 18. And I think there's a limit to the number of 19yos a the state team gets to field at any given time too.
There was a 20yo who got to play in the TAC Cup a few years ago - Jackson Coleman I think - he was a kpf and was conspicuously better built than most of his 17/18yo opponents. That was pretty seriously dodgy - apparently he got a special exemption from the rule because cricket wanted him as well and the AFL didn't want to lose him so, as usual, made the rules up as they went along. Lots of other TAC sides were understandably ■■■■■■ off about that, but he didn't get to play in the u18 champs at least, unless my memory is playing tricks on me...

Cheers for the answer. Love your work.
Lol a 20yo yeah that's really pushing it. I havnt heard of him so assuming he didn't get drafted??
The murray bushrangers have a 19yo this year in Nathan Drummond who I've seen a couple times and seems to be putting he best foot fwd at getting another year in the system.