Tales of workplace ineptitude

Correcto! Would have been a Nintendo for pretty much every it staff member at DOJ. Not just the putz to sell on EBay.

You worked for the Ombudsman !!!

Star Chamber; with more power than God and the ATO

Crikey Shelton, I bet you are one of these blokes who reckon that if you travel for your Company on business then the Company should get the Frequent Flyer miles because they paid for the airfare.

How the fark was this as described deceptive; obviously many people knew about it. Don’t recall this case being in the press, sending some bright spark to jail.

Yep, I am not the Government, but if one of my Employees came up with a plan to make themselves a killing and it actually got me discounted products, then I would give them a pay rise.

im also wondering how many people got paid 250k a year in 1983.

I think an average sydney house was about $30k back then. they would have been able to collect half a dozen a year…with change.

How did the printer cartridge guy get caught ??

Knew of a bloke back in 1982/3 who was on $180 per hour as a computer programmer. He was brought in to merge the Bank of New South Wales and CBC data systems. Flew to Germany for a job interview. He earned more per week than my wage back then of $7500 per annum.

There were guys moving defined benefit funds from one system to another…I’d installed them on the original system and knew the setup from A to Z. Guys who knew jackschitt about it were pulling $1,800 per day…about 10 years back.

Someone purchased a shiny new Nintendo off eBay and asked to pick it up in person. Hence meeting the guy.
Immediately brought to our attention. A few of us lobbied for his dismissal, however government will be government.

2 Likes

Why did you want him sacked ? What harm did his initiative do to you?

Back in 1986, guys were coming out of University with higher degrees in maths going into jobs in the money market earning $500 K. Telstra were employing programmers on contract at $1200 per day and most banks were not far behind.

Then came the Asian stock market crash in 1987, and banks lost millions in unsecured loans, remember Chris Skase and Alan Bond, and all these jobs came tumbling down. Our Consultant Business folded as well.

that is a ■■■■ load of money for 1986.

So for starters there were a number of people that knew you could do this with the barcodes yet ethically we did not.
It was anoyher in a long line of misconduct from this employee.
He deceived everyone saying he was trying to implement a new order, yet wasted thousands of cartridges when expired.
Others spent considerable time organising a new system to internally request cartridges rather than using Boise.
I can keep going.

No no, I just worked on this matter from a different angle.

Well it seems he was a naughty boy.

Probably runs a bank or a mining company now.

They were very extreme days back then in terms of high flyers and income. Probably a bit more constrained now, but there are still some earning those massive dollars.

I knew another young bloke back then who worked in corporate sales for IBM. His area was banking and government, and he was pulling over a million dollars a year selling PC’s and WAN equipment.

Tell you whats not.

Regional paper this week has the story of a local bloke operating as a Burglar / thief, … who then advertised the stolen goods for sale on his own Facebook page.

Talk about inept …

3 Likes

So given you are still posting, I assume they felt sorry for you and gave you community service? :grin:

Never had Facebook, … I use Gumtree to shift all my stolen goods…

3 Likes

Neeld always reminded me of this guy.

Is there a difference between inept and incompetent