Taliban Massacre Kids in Pakistan

Quoted Post

I understand the Afghan Taliban has been rather critical of their mates across the border...

More radical than the original

Quoted Post

re: link
Such a peaceful religion....

Theres been 111 kids killed in US schools since 2010, its not just the Muslims that kill people, but that doesnt fit the narrative.

You won’t get any argument from me regarding the US being messed up, but surely you can’t deny that the majority of terrorist attacks performed in the name of religion are Islamic based?
It’s not even just the attacks, what about the way women are treated? Or rape victims? That’s not the type of thing I associate with “peace”

Women are treated poorly all over the world its not an Islamic exclusive failing that one, just look a India.

As for the attacks, I would agree that recently the majority have reportedly been done in the name of Islam

How are those Nigerian school girls going? Not too sure but I don’t remember a group doing a similar thing in the name of Buddah. Women are treated appallingly in India but again, I’m referring to a RELIGION not a country or region.

Every religion has no doubt had an issue that they’ve had to confront at some point of time - this is Islams. By pretending it’s not a significant issue though then the cancer within the religion grows. Hopefully next time there is a raid on a house of a suspected terrorist it isn’t followed up by people protesting in the streets, rather people applauding the police for stopping something potentially serious.

Not their fault you’re ignorant.
Best ask the Rohingya Muslims or the Chin or Karen Christians who are currently ■■■■■■■ the hell out of Burma for fear of more genocides, deprivation of the most basic human rights, and utter oppression from the Buddhist majority & military government - which they’ve copped over generations.
Some of the smaller peoples in Northern China (not to mention Tibet) have also been shat on by the Buddhist Gov’t

The Muslims in the south end of the Philipines have been marginalised over decades and are now turning to radicalism.

Bottom line is, minorities get a raw deal wherever they are, particularly in the 3rd world - be they Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, or Pastafarian. This tends to end up in radicalism on the part of the minority (because that’s literally the only option they’ve got) and fear on the part of the majority, increasing reprisals, leading to increasing radicalism, etc etc etc.

Ignorance certainly doesn’t help with that fear/reprisal/radicalism cycle.

So let’s try and avoid that situation here, eh?

An article today on this issue in Pakistan:

I found this rather interesting…

Mr Yousafzai called for a united response from Pakistan’s government which has long been criticised for being divided in its approach to militants.

“The political parties, the government, the civil society they should be on one page. Once they are on one page and they stop that de-politics in the name of Talibanisation, I think we will see a change.”

Oxford University analyst Dr Ayesha Siddiqui said even Imran Khan, former cricketer and chairman of the party that rules the province where the tragedy happened, has not named the Taliban over the attack.

“I mean he sympathises [ with] the families [but] not condemn the Taliban,” Dr Siddiqui said.

"The only newspaper today is the Dawn which has condemned Taliban on its front page and named them. People are scared.

“You have the former president of Pakistan and the former dictator, Pervez Musharraf, talking about how its India doing it so there is still that double-speak confusion.”

Fear?
Like, easier to point & say it’s the Taliban and “we’ll get them back” from here, 0000s of kilometres away - bit different when the bloke who used to live next door has signed up?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Theres been 111 kids killed in US schools since 2010, its not just the Muslims that kill people, but that doesnt fit the narrative.

You won’t get any argument from me regarding the US being messed up, but surely you can’t deny that the majority of terrorist attacks performed in the name of religion are Islamic based?
It’s not even just the attacks, what about the way women are treated? Or rape victims? That’s not the type of thing I associate with “peace”

Women are treated poorly all over the world its not an Islamic exclusive failing that one, just look a India.

As for the attacks, I would agree that recently the majority have reportedly been done in the name of Islam

How are those Nigerian school girls going? Not too sure but I don’t remember a group doing a similar thing in the name of Buddah. Women are treated appallingly in India but again, I’m referring to a RELIGION not a country or region.

Every religion has no doubt had an issue that they’ve had to confront at some point of time - this is Islams. By pretending it’s not a significant issue though then the cancer within the religion grows. Hopefully next time there is a raid on a house of a suspected terrorist it isn’t followed up by people protesting in the streets, rather people applauding the police for stopping something potentially serious.

Best ask the Rohingya Muslims or the Chin or Karen Christians who are currently ■■■■■■■ the hell out of Burma for fear of more genocides, deprivation of the most basic human rights, and utter oppression from the Buddhist majority & military government - which they’ve copped over generations.
Some of the smaller peoples in Northern China (not to mention Tibet) have also been shat on by the Buddhist Gov’t

The Muslims in the south end of the Philipines have been marginalised over decades and are now turning to radicalism.

Bottom line is, minorities get a raw deal wherever they are, particularly in the 3rd world - be they Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, or Pastafarian. This tends to end up in radicalism on the part of the minority (because that’s literally the only option they’ve got) and fear on the part of the majority, increasing reprisals, leading to increasing radicalism, etc etc etc.

spot on Hap, there are so many different divisions across the world, and it doesn’t help when people are posting videos in other threads of dudes point out that millions of Muslims are radicals (inferring that different to westernism = radicalism = terrorism) because that particular part of the world follows Sharia law. Sharia law might be oppressive and arcane, but a terrorist it does not always equate.

Shouldn’t, in the democratic spirit of the majority, minorities be persecuted as a matter of course?

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

spot on Hap, there are so many different divisions across the world, and it doesn’t help when people are posting videos in other threads of dudes point out that millions of Muslims are radicals (inferring that different to westernism = radicalism = terrorism) because that particular part of the world follows Sharia law. Sharia law might be oppressive and arcane, but a terrorist it does not equate.

Following Sharia law would have to make you a radical I would have thought. For instance:

If a person has never been a Muslim, and is a kafir (infidel, unbeliever), Sharia demands that he or she should be offered the choice to convert to Islam and become a Muslim; if they reject the offer, he or she may either be killed, enslaved, or ransomed if captured.[139]

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

spot on Hap, there are so many different divisions across the world, and it doesn’t help when people are posting videos in other threads of dudes point out that millions of Muslims are radicals (inferring that different to westernism = radicalism = terrorism) because that particular part of the world follows Sharia law. Sharia law might be oppressive and arcane, but a terrorist it does not equate.

Following Sharia law would have to make you a radical I would have thought. For instance:

If a person has never been a Muslim, and is a kafir (infidel, unbeliever), Sharia demands that he or she should be offered the choice to convert to Islam and become a Muslim; if they reject the offer, he or she may either be killed, enslaved, or ransomed if captured.[139]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia#Human_rights

Most Islamic countries do not heavily subscribe to that portion of law, not to the full degree. Certainly ISIS are following that and have openly declared so.

Most nations will allow non-Muslims to run their lives fairly free however there are some strict rules and generally higher taxes and other assorted issues to keep them “suppressed” to a degree.

In Iraq and Syria (the areas controlled by radicals including ISIS - the areas controlled by Assad are still given the same restricted freedoms as before) most Christians have been either killed or run out of town. In Egypt, under the Muslim Brotherhood before the coup, Christians were being severely repressed with homes destroyed, businesses shut down, women either raped or threatened with rape, a number of deaths or just exiled out of the country. After the coup this has slowed down for the most part but still exists in pockets. In Libya it is a nightmare for everyone but has been especially so for Christian minorities, most of whom have now left. In Iran Christians continue to be heavily persecuted and suppressed with many jailed for life.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Most Islamic countries do not heavily subscribe to that portion of law, not to the full degree. Certainly ISIS are following that and have openly declared so.

Most nations will allow non-Muslims to run their lives fairly free however there are some strict rules and generally higher taxes and other assorted issues to keep them “suppressed” to a degree.

In Iraq and Syria (the areas controlled by radicals including ISIS - the areas controlled by Assad are still given the same restricted freedoms as before) most Christians have been either killed or run out of town. In Egypt, under the Muslim Brotherhood before the coup, Christians were being severely repressed with homes destroyed, businesses shut down, women either raped or threatened with rape, a number of deaths or just exiled out of the country. After the coup this has slowed down for the most part but still exists in pockets. In Libya it is a nightmare for everyone but has been especially so for Christian minorities, most of whom have now left. In Iran Christians continue to be heavily persecuted and suppressed with many jailed for life.

and essentially thats the thing, they use it as a guide, and some sects take it extremely seriously and follow it to the letter where as others have modernised it a lot, more progressive countries actually help use Sharia law to help settle domestic disputes, divorce settlements, etc.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

by our ethical standards, yes, things like that are radical. But then by our standards the Amish are radical too. Point is, if that’s what you have grown up with, and that’s what everyone else in your country is doing, then that’s the norm, and our way of life is one of decedent access and is probably radical. There are aspects of all religions that could be construed, as radical, aggressive, or inhumane. even the most primitive of ones. Look at some indigenous culture, becoming a man means you get a tooth ripped out and then sent out into the desert with nothing to survive for 30 days.

The main point, is while WE can measure Sharia Law as radical, it still doesn’t mean that everyone who follows it is a terrorist.

The question was never now much of the 1.6 Billion Muslims in the world are radical, its now many of them are part of terrorist organisations.

but again, its all about what ever narrative you wish to subscribe too, and these days you can find just about any information that helps create a narrative to fit an agenda.

There are aspects of your faith that I consider radical, but we wont get into that, because your free to follow what you like in this country.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

I’m ignorant? Do you honestly believe, honestly, that you can even begin to compare the trouble Islam is having at this point of time to that of other religions.
As I said, every religion has had to go through a time where it’s had to ask itself some tough questions, at this point in time it’s Islam. If you want to sit there and pretend that’s not the case and ignore what’s happening in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan then go ahead.

You left out Libya, Lebanon, Iran, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, they are all facing one trouble or another of the different forms of Islam. For that matter so is Indonesia.

Islam has got problems that are on a scale unique to that religion. Failing to acknowledge that is head in the sand stuff, and serves no real purpose. Recognising Islam has a problem doesn’t justify demonising all Muslims, all tar all followers of Mohammad with the same brush. No one is saying that, but there has been plenty of sanctimony and faux outrage suggesting that is the case.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

I’m ignorant? Do you honestly believe, honestly, that you can even begin to compare the trouble Islam is having at this point of time to that of other religions.
As I said, every religion has had to go through a time where it’s had to ask itself some tough questions, at this point in time it’s Islam. If you want to sit there and pretend that’s not the case and ignore what’s happening in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan then go ahead.

Well, you were implying that no-one had performed terrorism or terrorist acts in the name of Buddhism, and I did just correct you on that, and you proceeded to shut your eyes on that and have a go at me instead… so there’s that.

Quoted Post

Islam has got problems that are on a scale unique to that religion. Failing to acknowledge that is head in the sand stuff, and serves no real purpose. Recognising Islam has a problem doesn't justify demonising all Muslims, all tar all followers of Mohammad with the same brush. No one is saying that, but there has been plenty of sanctimony and faux outrage suggesting just that is the case.
There's also been real, actual hate and verbal and physical assaults on the streets just this year, directed at Muslims (amongst others, the African train guard in QLD, the Sydney one was I believe had an Asian victim). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2773471/Bashed-train-disgusting-racial-attack-Woman-s-head-smashed-carriage-verbally-abused-commuter.html

“I don’t accept racist attacks” doesn’t automatically mean “I believe there’s no problem at all with any Muslims anywhere, everything is absolutely hunky dory”.

Quoted Post
Islam has got problems that are on a scale unique to that religion. Failing to acknowledge that is head in the sand stuff, and serves no real purpose. Recognising Islam has a problem doesn't justify demonising all Muslims, all tar all followers of Mohammad with the same brush. No one is saying that, but there has been plenty of sanctimony and faux outrage suggesting just that is the case.
There's also been real, actual hate and verbal and physical assaults on the streets just this year, directed at Muslims (amongst others, the African train guard in QLD, the Sydney one was I believe had an Asian victim). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2773471/Bashed-train-disgusting-racial-attack-Woman-s-head-smashed-carriage-verbally-abused-commuter.html

“I don’t accept racist attacks” doesn’t automatically mean “I believe there’s no problem at all with any Muslims anywhere, everything is absolutely hunky dory”.

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. What’s your point?

Quoted Post

Like Kher l struggled to find a reason to explain why these gutless brutes would target children. Then it struck me, the children were the targets because they represent the future. These cowards knew exactly what they were doing, because it fits their long term agenda, to promote ongoing violence. They see schools and all they represent as a huge obstacle, that prevents them from recruiting the young into a life of violence. Education doesn’t just overcome poverty and expand opportunities, it works to prevent the ongoing spread of terrorism - it breaks kids out of the perpetual cycle of hopelessness.

fmd. this is horrendous too. maybe i should just avoid the news forum from now on.

terrible, terrible event.

Pakistan have hit back at the Taliban hard. However, this whole conflict appears as if it will escalate.