Tasmania - ANNOUNCED

They are waiting on albo to put his hand in his pocket. Once the feds kick in a bit it will go to a vote and then be rubber stamped. Albo has the business case already.

1 Like

Um, how?

How what?

How would adding a 17th (or 19th) team increase the number of games for TV?

Because each team needs to play 11 home games. Across a season 11 more games get added and the bye rounds get distributed across the season instead of just 3 rounds like currently.

How many more seats for 100m?

Do it right do it once.

Assuming you keep it for long enough…perhaps 30+ years?

Why? The draw is hardly even anyway.

I’m confused by your point, are you saying re-jig the whole fixture due to the introduction of team 19 and play less games? That will never happen, each new club added is 11 more games into the fixture. 2 new clubs is 22 more games.

The AFL and tv networks will never agree to a shortening of the season, as each game is valued at about $1.5 million in tv money per match.

I don’t understand the maths here. If we added an extra team to make 19, there would still only be a maximum of nine games played each week.

Without adding extra rounds (can’t happen as it would encroach on cricket season), where do the additional eleven games come from?

We’ve had 22 H & A games per season for many, many years. That hasn’t changed whether the total number of teams has been 14, 16, 17 or 18. There are no “extra” games and there wouldn’t be if a 19th team was introduced. It just means that you would have fewer instances of playing the same team twice in a season.

2 Likes

They would have to add extra rounds to allow for all the extra byes. (Still 22 games each.)

2 Likes

Adding two extra teams means that two teams can play an extra game each week.

Adding one extra team, without extending the season beyond 22 games (and they can do that with the existing teams, example A being this season) means that one team has a bye each week, but everyone still plays 11 home games. There would just be a week with additional byes.

Adding one extra team doesn’t increase the total number of games. So its just a drain on money, it doesn’t add anything, unlike adding two teams.

No, they just have one team having a bye each week, and instead of three rounds with only 6ish games you would have one round which balances it (i.e. one round where more than a single team has a bye). This is what happened in 2012 when we had 17 teams as GCS had joined but GWS hadn’t.

Agreed, but they would probably spread the byes over more than one round. Or not. Whatever.

1 Like

Or maybe start playing every night of the week and hope that people keep tuning in.

Hang on, just to clarify, are you saying that you think the total number of games in an afl home and away season will be the exact same, despite there being one extra team in the competition?

That’s what I’m saying. 22 or 23 rounds of up to nine games (plus a bye/byes) each round. You just wouldn’t meet as many teams for a second time.

1 Like

If you followed that model though you’d be effectively throwing games (money) away. Why would the AFL give up an extra 15 to 20 mill per year?

It’s not physically possible to play more games!

The extra team can’t play itself so you’re limited to a maximum of nine games per week.

Per week yes but across the season for everyone to rnd up playing 22 games you do have to fit in 11 extra games.
Just makes more byes

2 Likes

Why would there be 11 extra games?

I haven’t done the maths on whether the extra number of games would be 11, but with 19 teams, if they kept to 9 games per week for 22 weeks, someone’s not playing as many games as others.
(Odd number of teams.)