Tasmania - ANNOUNCED

The ‘Clouds’ are a better name than the Suns or the Giants, but what they really should be called is the Great Southern Pioneers

1 Like

Pioneers will be considered too pro-colonisation considering the obvious history of indigenous genocide.

I’d call them the Southern Islanders with the mascot to be an anthropomorphic apple.

Tassie Devils fo’ sure

3 Likes

Yeah that’s fair.

The Maps of Tassie.

3 Likes

GET OUT THE HUNDREDS AND THOUSANDS TASSIE, IT’S PARTY TIME!

5 Likes

I reckon 20 would do the trick. One in Tassie, and one in the NT. Play once each & fill out the Season with a couple of rounds of SO Origin rounds.

4 Likes

Tassie Storms??

Tassie Greens

Tassie Devils

My preference though, Tassie TIGERS. (yeah, … I can dream though)

2 Likes

How many teams have to fail on the GC before the rest of the country accepts the place is a waste land unless you’re building theme parks or mega churches.

Also, throw a serious cat amongst the pigeons and stick Geelong on Jackie Lambie’s ferry and base them in Burnie.

1 Like

Nah, stick North on the ferry instead.

And then scuttle the ferry half-way across.

5 Likes

■■■■ Melbourne off down there and relabel to Tasmania Diemens. Done!

2 Likes

No, definitely Tassy Devils.

Yeah, It’s a bit of a no brainer.

Although right from the first mooting of a Tas team and the obvious moniker came to mind (what,… 25 years ago??), I’ve always had the nagging thought the AFL quite possibly wouldn’t allow it.

Demons too close to Devils, … “Devil” having too many negative connotations associated with it, or something. There was probably more Religious based influence back then,… but it still is a bit of a thing in the background of the whole comp.

If it’s linked to an iconic native animal shouldn’t matter.

Melbourne’s isn’t though.

Won’t somebody think of the children?

1 Like

I think they’d have more of an issue with the “Tasmanian” part tbh. They seem to prefer cities/suburbs (which won’t work in Tassie) or geographical descriptors such as Western, Greater Western, West Coast.

Personally, I think that if any Melbourne-based team is to be moved to Tassie it should be the Saints - at least their fans could afford the ferry unlike Norfs half dozen - and the irony of the Tassie team having the moniker of “Saints” would tickle me in the right places.

If a Victorian team relocated, you would think they would retain their nickname (e.g. Hobart Kangaroos). Certainly couldn’t do that if Gold Coast relocated (as per my previous post).

Southern Saints.

How about each team plays 18 games with 4 byes across 22 weeks? Given the drain on talent 4 byes at least helps the best players to stay on the park.

1 Like

That’s their VFLW team apparently.

Tassie Thunder? Tassie Gales. Tassie Persistent Drizzle?

1 Like