Tayte Pears

Not the perfect game by any means, but the signs are good for him I think.

Not sure. Thought he was beaten in all but about 2 contests (which he won well).

Gave his all tonight, really worked hard, was everywhere.

thought he was good! his confidence is coming back and with the more senior game time he gets, the better he will become!

Had a very ordinary 1st quarter. I had given him up. Redeemed himself in the ensuing 3.

Geez, the penny has dropped ... i'm fickle. :(

+1

He’s also getting the confidence to take the game on upfield too.

Not bad but god is he weak at a contest sometimes!

He is slowly coming back, building confidence, learning to play modern footy. He will be dominant next year.

He’s coming from a looong way back - and getting there.

Good that everyone saw the better things he did. God, for awhile there I was fuming that a first year player was making him look silly. Menzel could have kicked five in a short period of time. Also, he set up a goal for Armfield.

I was so fkg tinned so more than happy to be proven wrong (will re-watch soon) but I seem to remember him being really bad. Maybe because I was sober for his first quarter

More then happy to give him the chance. He is willing to get to where we want him I think.

I was so fkg tinned so more than happy to be proven wrong (will re-watch soon) but I seem to remember him being really bad. Maybe because I was sober for his first quarter

Sounds like it.
Definitely redeemed himself as the game went in. As previously mentioned, not perfect by any means but good signs. Good signs indeed.

Menzel beat him early, but Pears was very good after quarter time. Still not back to his best (yet). He and Hooker are very close to signing new deals.

Any word on other players re-signing? ie. Crameri?

Pears worthy of another contract, but by no means best 22 from what he’s shown this season.

dont get the love for pears after quarter time. I thought he was pretty crap all night

He has improved from last year, but he is still getting beaten in contested ball situations a fair bit, in the air especially, but also on the ground. His go was always marking a leading forward, but he’s lost the zip required for that role. I reckon he will get better again next year, and hopefully then we’ll see the Pears of 2009/2010 again. But the game has changed somewhat since then. Forwards aren’t able to lead to space due to increased numbers pushing back and the organisation of team defence. There are more 200cm/100kg gorillas than ever, which can make finding a matchup for a 192cm key defender difficult. Hooker and Carlisle fit the mould. Pears needs to contunue to develop the runs and carry side of his game to keep his spot.

Pears replaces Fletch.

As the man who sets up play from defence? I hope not. Fletch is given less responsibility in terms of checking an opponent because it affords him the opportunity to exploit the range and accuracy of his kicking and to zone off as third man up in marking contests. Do you think Pears 'replaces' Fletch in this regard? If anyone does, it is Hibberd.

I hate the idea of setting someone up as a loose man...mainly because I despise the concept. Teams end up going man on man, or tagging the loose.

I'd rather concentrate on him playing defensively, and if we play against a team with few tall forwards, then he misses out for team balance.

When I was talking about Fletch being given less responsibility to exploit his attacking traits, I was referring to him playing on a less influential opponent rather than as a loose man. I agree with what you’ve said about the inherit problems of setting up a loose man.