Team for 2017 - combined

O.K. I’m bored - just listening to the radio (SEN) about the best possible team for Essendon in 2017
From memory it was:

Baguley, Hooker, Hartley
McD-Tip (Walla) Hurley Hocking
Stanton, Watson, Myers
Parish, Brown, ZMerrett
Colyer, Daniher, Fantasia
Leuenburger, Heppell, Zaharakis

The interesting selection was the interchange - I’m unsure if this was what they suggested and I’m typing this up after they finished the team.

Inter: 1st Round pick, Howlett, Dempsey - Kelly or Goddard - 1 of these 2 older players - a big call !!!

Bags Hartley francis Gleeson hurley Connor/hibb

Zaha Langford stanton
Luey hepp zerret

Lav JD Tippa
Watson hooker Fanta

Bj Hocking colyer parish

JD is not the second ruck. he is a full forward

I like JD at chf and I like luey as a loan Wolf getting very occasional spells. Tbell throws our balance out as a near permanent forward (if hooker is playing forward) and smack struggles in that role too so…

Zaha Langford stanton
Luey hepp zerret

Lav JD Tippa
Watson hooker Fanta

Bj Hocking colyer parish

I’d be surprised if Marty G and Conor McK are anywhere top 22 next year. More likely to be ranked about 28 and 35 if our list develops the way it seems to be.

Which developing players do you have ahead of them for a attacking hbf role?

Zaha Langford stanton
Luey hepp zerret

Lav JD Tippa
Watson hooker Fanta

Bj Hocking colyer parish

Not bad. HBFs might be the only ifs but I like the run from there. Gleeson hopefully cements his spot this season if Tippa stays forward more. Would want someone fairly solid there too. If Hibbo is not around I hope we secure Dea. This is always the spot I struggle with this season and end up chickening out and saying “Pick 1”. Lol.

I think we need 2 attacking half backs 1 lock down small and 3 talls, one with a slightly more attacking edge.

If tippa stays forward, and I think he should because he is too exploitable down back, our attacking hbf options are presently demps, gleeson, hibb (?), Connor, Morgan, and maybe Redman/long. Ashby, if he holds on is a lock down player IMO.

I think DEA, if drafted, is back up for bags though I could be wrong and he could push out Gleeson. Hibb had been been worked out and had become significantly less effective and there are doubts on whether he remains. I think we need to move past demps.

We need someone who can stream through the middle off half back and reliably hit targets with low balls that are quick. Connor is one of the best kicks on our list, incredibly. It went somewhat unnoticed because he was quiet on Sunday but he had one play in the last where he got ahead of the ball, recieved from demps and then kicked a laser to JD which he should have marked (and could have maybe got a free for). I hope Connor can become the player we need him to be, I think he can for what it is worth.

Look at a guys like Biggs at the dogs. He is kind of unassuming in the way he goes about it but he is absolutely lethal when he goes inside 50. We have too many guys that kick high going inside, we need more than can run flat out at good pace and drill 40 meter bullets. Connor can do that.

If hibb stays maybe he and Connor become the attacking weapons off half back, that could be really exciting. Maybe Morgan or Redman or long absolutely jump out of the box over preseason.

As I sit here right now though Gleeson Connor and hibb are my 3 front runners for 2 so spots and there seem to be growing doubts on hibb so…

Zaha Langford stanton
Luey hepp zerret

Lav JD Tippa
Watson hooker Fanta

Bj Hocking colyer parish

Not bad. HBFs might be the only ifs but I like the run from there. Gleeson hopefully cements his spot this season if Tippa stays forward more. Would want someone fairly solid there too. If Hibbo is not around I hope we secure Dea. This is always the spot I struggle with this season and end up chickening out and saying “Pick 1”. Lol.

Zaha Langford stanton
Luey hepp zerret

Lav JD Tippa
Watson hooker Fanta

Bj Hocking colyer parish

I’d be surprised if Marty G and Conor McK are anywhere top 22 next year. More likely to be ranked about 28 and 35 if our list develops the way it seems to be.

I know that we keep losing, but I have not been this excited about our kids for over 20 years!

Zaha Langford stanton
Luey hepp zerret

Lav JD Tippa
Watson hooker Fanta

Bj Hocking colyer parish

JD is not the second ruck. he is a full forward

Bags Hartley francis
Gleeson hurley Connor/hibb

Zaha Langford stanton
Luey hepp zerret

Lav JD Tippa
Watson hooker Fanta

Bj Hocking colyer parish

Who would you take out of the midfield that played on Sunday to fit in:

Zaharakis
Heppell
Colyer
Stanton
Watson
Myers
Hocking

Then:

McCluggage/Brodie

I suppose Kelly and Cooney are gone and Bird borderline. Hence why I think Myers and Hocking are not walk up start in our midfield.

B: Baguley, Hooker, Hartley
HB: Dea, Hurley, Goddard
C: Zaharkis, Watson, Parish
HF: Colyer, Daniher, Fantasia
F: McDonald-Tipungwuti, Francis, Bellchambers
Foll: Leuenberger, Heppell, Z. Merrett
I/C: Myers, Laverde, Kelly, Hocking

B: Baguley, Hooker, Hartley HB: Dea, Hurley, Goddard C: Zaharkis, Watson, Parish HF: Colyer, Daniher, Fantasia F: McDonald-Tipungwuti, Francis, Bellchambers I/C: Myers, Laverde, Kelly, Hocking

can you count

Foll: Leuenberger, Heppell, z. Merrett

There you go!

B: Baguley, Hooker, Hartley HB: Dea, Hurley, Goddard C: Zaharkis, Watson, Parish HF: Colyer, Daniher, Fantasia F: McDonald-Tipungwuti, Francis, Bellchambers I/C: Myers, Laverde, Kelly, Hocking

can you count

Kelly?

slaps head

well, i was bored at work today and i came up with pretty much the same 18, with some in different positions. think i had laverde in the 18 and stants on the bench. didn’t have howlett, and for some reason i’m assuming kelly might not want to go around again, but what the hey, there are half a dozen names you could have out and another half a dozen in. but all things considered, i’m looking forward to next year, and that’s the main point of my bored effort to pick our 2017 team.

Nah, but I’ll play.

For a start anyone who has zerret outside the first choice midfield isn’t paying attention.

Bags hartley hurls
Tippa hooker pig

Zaha hepp Stanton
Lueny zerret parish

Laverde JD colyer
Jobe brown fanta

Bj, Hocking, langford, Francis

probably a bit too top heavy

Bags hartley francis
Tippa hurls pig

Zaha hepp Stanton
Lueny zerret parish

Laverde JD colyer
Jobe hooker fanta

Bj, Hocking, Langford, ???(pace)

Really you could probably still take out a big body for a runner from that but I reckon that is probably close to what we will see

Laverde is probably a bit controversial as a lock but I think his senior form to date has been better than Langford, albeit last year.

I’d pick Langford ahead of Myers because he is more flexible and I don’t see either being first choice mid rotation barring injury.

Bird v Hocking will be an interesting selection dilemma.

Ditto the last small defender - pig if he’s around, Gleeson, Connor could be a dark horse. They might decide to lock bj in down there. Ashby may come on.

Of course if we land another first year player of the calibre of parish they will probably push for selection too.

Regardless we will have kp flexibility and midfield options.

David king is a massive ■■■■■■■■. Made his team with Brown full back and Hartley not in the squad of 25. Then wanted us to trade pick 1 for Steele and Marchbank.

Flog!!

David king is a massive ■■■■■■■■. Made his team with Brown full back and Hartley not in the squad of 25. Then wanted us to trade pick 1 for Steele and Marchbank.

Flog!!

As has been mentioned quite frequently around here: David King without a stats sheet to read off is utterly useless in any discussion.

I like that now when I think about a starting 22 for next season there’s actual names that I can’t fit in. Depth.

There’s at least 7 players we’ve found this season who we wouldn’t even be talking about being best 22 if it hadn’t been the saga. Tippa, Hartley, Fantasia, Luey, Brown, Parish, Dea off the top of my head. Silver linings and all that.

How does an unproven round 1 draft pick get picked ahead of Langford, Laverde and Francis?

Hocking & Howlett won’t be best 22 next year.

Hocking will