Technology Help Thread

I’ve got a 360 Slim (circa 2011).
I think it’s an original 360 HDD.
I had to pull the case off as I’ve got a 360 slim console (rather than the bulkier version).
Currently in the process of downloading the files that apparently need to be replaced so I’ll see what happens.
I didn’t get that particular cable but this contraption instead

Is it the matte textured console?

If so, what you can do is actually buy an original XBOX 360 HDD, the big fat ones, take the case off it (just hack away at the grey case, and inside is just a SATA HDD) and insert it straight into the console itself, no hard drive formatting required. They are exceptionally cheap.

I’m reasonably sure even the other slil veriosn of the console will have a slot for the HDD, but I don’t have that model so I wouldn’t know.

You could still do the same thing with the cord like you are above with the original 360HDD if the one you’re using now doesn’t turn out to be compatible.

The HDD fits in the slim (just not a ‘snug’ fit).

I’ve download the partition file.
Just struggling to get Xplorer to work (missing dll file)

Our four year old Samsung TV died a few days back.

Looking at a few options around the thousand dollar mark , has anyone bought a TCL telly? Decent specs but some feedback online that the Android operating system can be unstable, at least for the 2018 models. And the US models are apparently better than Aus models.

I’m not sold on any tvs around that price range to properly handle the Android operating system. Bought a Sony TV at that price range a few months ago and the OS is slow, laggy and frequently stops/ crashes. Picture quality is fine but Im not sure there’s enough oomph in the TVs processor to really handle the OS.

I reckon it’s just a matter of finding a TV with the best picture quality/ features and having to accept there will be lag/ slowdown somewhere along the way.

I’d probably rarely use it as a “smart” tv anyway, but the kids might. Probably run it via Lan to the modem and then they can watch their Netflix or whatever.

I watch footy/cricket on an older Panny plasma so I’m not even that concerned about motion. If it’s got decent 4k performance for movies etc down the track, that’ll probably do.

Keep your eye on Oz Bargain.

If a good buy comes up - it’ll be on there.

1 Like

Okidoki I purchased an aldi 4k tv in April non smart tv. How do I play downloaded 4K movies on it as via USB it not support the file ? But I know the tv does play that file format ? $399 tv and streams 4K YouTube’s via ps4 and picture is good for price but not serving its purpose as I wanted to play 4K downloaded movies on it :flushed:

Are they x265 format by any chance? May not play that particular encoding format?

Yes they were.

http://www.bauhn.com.au/product-listing/50-4k-ultra-hd-tv This is the tv

Well, … thars yer prarrblem!! :wink:

(I would say) Good format re quality for size. but difficult to play. Have probs clicking 5 secs back and forth with them even on a laptop.

A LOT of Tv’s etc haven’t caught up with it yet. Just go x264 in the larger HD file size, and it should be ok.

A mate at work suggested trying a kodi box to play them through ? But think I’ll take your advice and stick to the x264 files.

1 Like

A majority of the 4k files are going to be x265 moving forward, it compresses down to a smaller file size. I’d recommend getting a Vodafone tv, then download kodi. Will do a whole lot more than just kodi as well

JB have a 50 inch LED telly for 395 dollars. Thats ridic cheap. I mean given a lot of new tellies only have a 3 to 5 year life I would consider it as a stop gap.

The top shelf upgrade in tellies(8k Oled) are super expensive now, but what I understand is the big manufacturers are ramping up supply. Só they should be a lot cheaper in 2 years. Oled being the tech thats been around for 4 or 5 years, fantastic picture but stubbornly expensive.

Otherwise I think Hisense, LG,sony do good tellies around a grand.

Ended up ordering a P7 series Hisense. Seems a good compromise between price and image quality/features. Delivery scheduled for tomorrow.

1 Like

That’s interesting.

When this subject came up, I did a bit of research on it, as my Tellys been giving a few signs it’s nearing it’s end game, and I landed on the 55" HiSense P6 which is now out there at about the $750 range. Lot’s of good reviews and features, so IMO, I reckon you’re on the right track.

I went with the P7 over the P6 largely because the native 200hz handles motion (sport) a bit better, and it has better HDR brightness which will be a factor in our fairly bright loungeroom. But at night , watching a HD movie, I probably wouldn’t be able to pick the difference between the two other than perhaps slightly better blacks from the 7.

1 Like

Ok Tech hedz, a curly one.

I have a sam s4 gal i9507, (which is perfectly adequate thankyou very much), and the screen has got a little cracked & ratty.

I was going to get one off ebay or such and replace it, but a mate of mine just gave me another which is a i9505, screen and in fact whole phone in perfect nick.

So I’m wondering if I should I bother changing the screen off this to mine or not?

I did some checking and found the only diff between them is the i9507 is 4G+ & LTE , whilst the 505 is simply 4G.

So the question is, what real difference does that really make, if any at all?? :thinking: TIA.

Need some help with my home wifi.

Have a Aussie Broadband 50/20 plan, got their ‘high speed’ modem and it doesn’t skip a beat, however I live in a single story home and struggle to get the 2.4ghz network to our bedroom at the front (router is in open plan loungeroom at rear).

I currently run this very old netgear wifi extender, but it doesn’t support 5ghz.

Those Google mesh systems look good, but $500 for 3 sounds steep. Will only 1 do?

What other options do I have?