Terrorist attack, Christchurch NZ

ScoMo and Shorten react to polls.

Howard set them.

Like him or loathe him, he was an affective leader. As was Keating and Hawke.

The poll driven crap(ie politics in the rudd/gillard/abbott/turnbull/Morrison aka ferries wheel era) is a side effect of “data driven” politics, which has a lot to answer for. In my opinion.

Sadly, we all do that to some extent.

We are slow to move and then once we do, the pendulum go into full swing.

This wilfully stupid line gets trotted out on cue. I’d argue that anyone who says this and isn’t satirising is mentally unfit to drive a car let alone have access to a device designed for killing. We’re a barrel of dumb monkeys.

Unfortunately, we haven’t had strong leaders since. Perhaps Julia Gillard could have been had she been in the Liberal Party.

Who the hell do you vote for if there is no one to lead and nothing which inspires you in policy?

Minorities.

Which is why dead beats like one nation senators get a go.

(I have nothing for minority parties, but for every gem you get some loose units).

It seems like it was two regular beat PCs.

I genuinely think that either of today’s leaders - Morrison or Shorten - would get the same reforms through as Howard did, should PA have occurred now. After Hoddle st, Bryant etc there’s simply no case to mount for public ownership of Ar-15’s and the like. But we’ll obviously never know.

I was quite shocked to learn that NZ hadn’t already done it. I just assumed that they would have. But when you consider an extremely low murder rate and a much higher firearms ownership rate than here, with very little accompanying violence, you can kind of understand it not being a priority for them. They sound like Australia circa 1960’s. Until now.

4 Likes

Will it?
Really?

About a dozen senators & MPs got ripped out of it in the last few years due to citizenship bungles, and they were all more popular than him.

All of this radicalisation is a numbers game. A nutter might get their crap read by a million, agreed with by ten thousand, taken seriously by a few hundred: and two or three will actually take action.

We need to stop giving these people the millions of views.

He got 19 votes. He is too racist even for Pauline. His only platform or claim to fame is his seat.

2 Likes

farming is a much bigger part of their economy (3% here vs 7%), so that would play some part.

Not sure why anyone ever needs an assault rifle, especially in NZ where there aren’t any any endemic mammals at all, but I don’t get the guns thing to start with.

Please settle.
It was one question, based on one bit of data, which wasn’t the full picture.

You’re both making this more of a thing than it needs to be.

1 Like

It only takes one

Of course. More of an agrarian society, I presume. And based on the murder statistics, a less angry one as a rule.

Gun lobbyists should be lined up and shot.
A very ironic but well deserved justice.

I would bet everything I own that he will get many, many times that many votes this time around unfortunately.

Agree with the thrust of your post though. Media and politics and society at large have been far too willing to indulge this sort of stuff under the ground of ‘airing a variety of opinions’ for a long time now. ■■■■ that noise.

1 Like

Fair enough. I get seriously offended (and probably too fired up) by people who question police in these circumstances, without any training or expertise whatsoever. But you’re right that it was only a single poster expressing a fringe view, so you’re correct that it doesn’t need to be a big deal. Happy to move on

Yes, you’ve mentioned your personal vendetta several times since I walked away from it.
Was it the first thing you did when you got up this morning?
You are a genuinely ■■■■ bloke.
As I’ve asked you to many, many times regarding your posts about me, but especially here of all places.
Please. Just stop.

I thought SMJ was a female, not sure why.

Listening to the radio now and they are still talking about Anning! I really think all this discussion of his views is completely counterproductive.

2 Likes

Anyway, Hanson is going to abstain from the vote condemning Anning’s comments.

I heard that. How ridiculously predictable