Terrorist attack, Christchurch NZ

While i want to agree with you because i think Dutton is a piece of ■■■■, saying he played a part in the deaths of 50 people doesn’t sit well with me. But these kinds of comments were always going to be made because politicians will use anything for a campaign.

1 Like

Nobody said he played a part in 50 deaths.

The quote was

“It is politicians like Peter Dutton who have actually contributed to creating an atmosphere where hate is allowed to actually incubate in our society,”

“They can’t shrug off their responsibility. What they’ve been doing does come with a cost, it does come with consequences, because really they’ve been playing games with our lives.”

Which I think is perfectly reasonable.

5 Likes

Sorry, that is very reasonable. I read the following:

“Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton has labelled Greens politicians “as bad as Fraser Anning” after they accused him of playing a role in the Christchurch terrorist attack by fuelling anti-Islamic sentiment in Australia.”

1 Like

I will say this also, independent from any politics. I have a number of pro gun friends from Texas, and the events of Christchurch have got them thinking about access to firearms. It’s hard to twist gun laws don’t work, When an Australian goes to another country and gains acesss to a weapon he can’t get in his own country and goes on to murder 50 people. They are freely admitting our laws prevented it from happening here.

They’ve gone from flat out suggesting gun laws don’t work to their culture is different to ours (& NZ’s) which is why it won’t work for them.

Baby steps

1 Like

It’ll be interesting to see as a follow up from Friday whether we have to put up with yet another vomitous, xenophobic boats campaign led by you-know-who in the upcoming election. Throw in a little law n order targeting certain groups just to spice it up and appeal to the voting LCD.

Australian media 101, folks.

2 Likes

Yeah usually i’m better than that. I was reading in between stuff at work.

1 Like

Side note - any doubt that Jacinda Ardern is one of the great world leaders has surely been put to rest by the events of the last three days. She’s been magnificent

7 Likes

Would any number of people still think this if these views weren’t given airtime?

Pollies do soundbite politics because they work, at least on people who don’t think too much about politics. Which is a lot, and (in this country) those people have to vote.

My argument is the same people who “thought” Asians were the problem when that was what Pauline was saying in the 90s, also “thought” boat people when Howard took the LNP further right in the 00s, and now they “think” the problem is Muslims and/or Sudanese. The target is irrelevant to the rhetoric. It could be pencils or feet. Doesn’t matter, as long as it’s something/someone people can project all of our problems onto.

These pollies say what they say, purely because they’re after the most extreme few percent of the population spectrum.
All of it is just to be a little bit further extreme than the next guy. It’s a race to the bottom.

7 Likes

Just on the personality clashes that we see on here. I used to have a few under a previous user name. He got booted for telling the mods to F off. No doubt served him right. But as I was overseas during the saga I created this account and forgot the password to the old when I returned and tried to reactivate it.

I decided to stop fighting with other posters. I also try to stop talking down to people, but I regularly fail to control that. Three of the posters who didn’t like me now often like my posts, one very often. I haven’t changed the content or views I post, just the history of conflict is gone, and the way I express my view is a bit different now.

Even when I was right (which of course was all of the time) I was wrong for the way I expressed it.

3 Likes

It’s designed exactly for that, that the casual browser will assume what Dutton has said is fair and true.

Surely there’s not many people who think anything Dutton says is fair.

1 Like

There’ll be plenty.
It’s just a reminder to conservatives.
‘Yeah, but we still hate the Greens.’

Opinions are like bums… Everyone has one.

And this is the problem with the Internet.

Its basically taken a dump on journalism. Mind you the efforts of the mainstream press have been abysmal. Some truly terrible articles have gone to print.

I miss the editor, censors and the like.

You couldnt have that with the Internet, but we are/were happy with that in regards to film/tv/newspapers in days gone by.

We get the Hun in the office. I wandered to Bolt’s page. He starts out noting that The killer’s aim had been to start a fight, says it’s working and cites 3 examples of leftists wading in to opponents. Wow! Then he suggests some analysis of the rationale of the shooter, by giving 6 paragraphs on what Bin Laden thought were reasons to attack the US. Double wow.

Should have expected it. I’m sure if there’s an attack sometime in the future by people he doesn’t like he’ll spend most of an article talking about the wrongs of conservatives- not.

1 Like

They made the business decision to chase extreme opinions for the clicks/likes.

If his position is that this murderer is fundamentally no different than AL Quaida and Isis inspired murderers, then on this occassion I agree with him. Trying to justify massacres on the basis of battles fought hundreds of years ago is literally nuts. Charles Martel is one of your hero’s because he drove out the Moors!? Madrid terror bombing was because of the Moors defeat!? FFS. This all happened almost 1000 years ago! Psychopaths, all them, whatever their hue or religion/politics.

No way will I read it to find out, though.

5 Likes

This is a bit tough on Rudd. Polls certainly weren’t what drove his mining tax, and it got him done over.

I thought it was pretty clear that ScoMo was already going down that route. It will be interesting to see how much the NZ shooting hinders that effort.

I called it “Doing a Trump”.

Let me guess which press this was in, …:thinking:

1 Like