Terrorist attack, Christchurch NZ

Why are you reposting his crap?

Seriously. Havent u had an absolute gutful of politics and moral high grounds?

People of all persuasions just standing on each others heads until everyone is covered in filth in the gutter.

Poisonous Opinions. :face_vomiting:

Do not know how old you are Vanders but I have been working at elections since 1969 and been in the ALP since 1971.

All Politicians and Parties have reacted to Polls all that time, and I suspect probably well before. Gary Morganā€™s old man Roy made a big heap of bucks doing polls for everyone starting in 1941. I remember in 1971 sitting in the office of the MP for Maribyrnong waiting on the latest polls on how bad the Liberal were going, and putting together the ā€œHealth Planā€ based on it. In fact, in 1969, Gough Whitlam made a deal with the RCC for School funding based on polls done by Morgan at Catholic Churches on if Government funding for catholic schools was a vote winner.

John Howard lived by polls, Bob Hawke loved having his ego stroke by them; Keating supposedly didnā€™t give a fark about them, but he dropped GST when polls showed it was not a vote winner.

So be as harsh as you like about pragmatic politics, which I also hate with a passion, but everyone follows them. And if I was in public office again, I would follow the poll that told me the unpopular but practical position for our Town that I took would cost me support. I lost my election, and went from rooster to feather duster, and you cannot change the world from the outside.

1 Like
2 Likes

Climate change polls seem to be influencing NSW Liberals on coal and even some Queensland LNP are backing down on financing new coal powered stations except as a last resort.

ā– ā– ā– ā–  Sky News

Its moreso the instant news cycle.

In days gone by it was politics if anything responding to thoughtfully edited newspapers and current affairs shows.

Those expressing opinion from the general public did so a little more thoughtfully by taking the efforts to write to the editor of the newspaper or their local member.

Opinions were published if they were educated and well informed. Or debated if they added to the conversation.

And I donā€™t think this view is a totally rose coloured viewpoint either.(days gone past certainly had its problems too in terms of whose voices were heard)

Thats my point Baccus. I think most would agree politics and public discourse is at an all time low. Id suggest even in countries with a positive affective leadership.

Its like a race to the bottom through outrage.

Agree, but that one video is them, sky, basically saying that the 25% they have been telling people to be worried about years, arenā€™t actually the biggest threat.

2 Likes

Amusing that a guy with a name like Saladin is talking about battles with Islam 1000 years ago.

In saying that, the only disagreement I have with his post is his horrible use of apostrophes and one misspelling.

3 Likes

Oh but donā€™t worry, they will soon put up a counter argument that the conservative fascists were acting in defence of all that is righteous and good and that the Islamic fascists are bad and canā€™t be distinguished from everyday Muslims so must they must continue to be marginalised and/or run out of the country.

Seriously, just give them a bit of time and that aberration above will be corrected.

1 Like

He seems to have overlooked those Serbian war criminals and the attempted genocide of Muslims in the Balkans.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says gun law reforms will be announced in 10 days in the wake of the Christchurch shootings.

2 Likes

ā€œItā€™s thought that in the last decade, almost 75 per cent of deaths from terrorism have occurred from right-wing extremists.ā€

Does he mean worldwide? Because if he does, the man is a fool.

Pretty sure that stat is for the USA

1 Like

Yes, that was made very clear. Only a fool would have missed it tbh.

Nearly lost it watching school kids haka for their lost school mates

3 Likes

FWIW I consider terrorists motivated by ultra-conservative Islam to be right-wing extremists too. Opposite sides of the same coin.

4 Likes

Not really, that statement on the tweet is a little misleading and he didnā€™t qualify in the US when he said it. I was just clarifying that I hadnā€™t missed something.

Relax dude. Is he related to you or something?

Remember that scene in Hero where this enormous army attacks a calligraphy school of a few students and reigns down 10s of 1000s of arrows, and the students keep writing in the sand, whilst Maggie Cheung and Jet Li protect them?
Now imagine that school is actually Noonanā€™s School of Grammatical Terrorism and he is teaching his students to be like him and know where to put these thingies ,ā€™ ā€™ ; " .
Do you think Maggie & Jet would bother saving them?

Well Vanders, probably the wrong place to discuss this, so maybe I will copy your post and take it to the Politics thread.

Im a bit surprised by how big this thread is growing, given going a bit off topic into politics stuff.

In my community I was a bit surprised by how many muslim/immigrants/new australians there are within the community as they organised a public get together/prayer on sunday which was publised.

And also of people on my facebook feed getting right into this fraser anning guy and the egg throwing kid, and how passionate people are commenting on it. some supporting him, some the kid, some want kid charged, some want kid lauded.

I was listening to podcast the other day and they were talking about social media, how you like to live in your own bubble, which confirm your idealogies, and anyone who doesnt agree with you you unfriend or unfollow. And people who think the same you follow and friend, which doesnt challange what you are thinking.

And the media is the same within this. we have our favourites - Hirdy, Tim Watson and luncthime catchup show, can ignore the others - Robbo, whateley, KB whereas a 70 year old richmond fan may still love KB.

I.e A greeny follows greenpeace, save the planet, tarkine and bob brown.

1 Like