Tesla just changed everything

Why do people think the car won't be delivered?

I haven’t looked at the numbers to compare, but ford have (did have) an 18 month wait list in the Ford Mustang, and they have obviously have many more things going for them.

I thought tesla didn’t even have the factories set up.

Maybe if an existing car company was to buy them out?

Why do people think the car won't be delivered?

I haven’t looked at the numbers to compare, but ford have (did have) an 18 month wait list in the Ford Mustang, and they have obviously have many more things going for them.

I thought tesla didn’t even have the factories set up.

Maybe if an existing car company was to buy them out?

Tesla has the biggest car factory in the world (IIRC), … said back a few pages, I saw a megafactories doco on the making of the modelS.

The joint is so huge, and at that point was mainly empty, the production lines for existing models had used like … (don’t quote me) 10 … maybe 20% of the joint.

HUGE!

Now it's proposed to cost around 45k Australian by the time it's launched here.
I keep reading around the traps that it'll be $60k+ when it hits our shores. Personally I believe it'll be closer to what you think ben. Tesla don't operate like other car companies, more like apple computers. I think there would be a huge backlash if they sold their car 15 grand more after currency conversion
Ummmmmmm… wut?

Apple Australia is notorious for bad currency exchange rates. They don’t seem to want to change prices, so they go “what could be the worst rate we’d expect in the next year or two?” and base their conversion on that.

Also, the car price is usually for bog standard. There’s an average price floating around that includes most of the things people choose to get, so there will be a bit of discrepancy.

Not saying it won't be, but let us see the final product on the road in thousands in all situations and see if it really works. The same reason I didn't order a Mustang till I saw one in person.

I still don’t get the scepasism, the model S, X and Roadster show clearly that Tesla’s work.

if the model 3 does not deliver it basically ruins the company, and that means backing against a guy who brought the world a the most popular alternative method of commerce and the frivate private company to send craft it no low earth orbit. Sure some of his more Outlandish ideas have required a few goes, but you want to be sceptical about that guy?

Also, the car price is usually for bog standard. There's an average price floating around that includes most of the things people choose to get, so there will be a bit of discrepancy.

Yep a bog stanard S in Australia only goes for about 5k more than is US one on current AUD USD exchange rates.

Now it's proposed to cost around 45k Australian by the time it's launched here.
I keep reading around the traps that it'll be $60k+ when it hits our shores. Personally I believe it'll be closer to what you think ben. Tesla don't operate like other car companies, more like apple computers. I think there would be a huge backlash if they sold their car 15 grand more after currency conversion
Ummmmmmm… wut?

Apple Australia is notorious for bad currency exchange rates. They don’t seem to want to change prices, so they go “what could be the worst rate we’d expect in the next year or two?” and base their conversion on that.

OK, apple maybe a bad example re the pricing Apple seemed to be the closet company to compare to Tesla at the moment. I was including their sales model of direct to the customer, fixed pricing and focus marketing as opposed to their competitors where the is a lot of cross breeding, 3rd party sales etc. But to be fair to apple, these days it does seem to be a currency conversion (perhaps a generous one) plus a cherry on top. I’d expect Tesla to do that same hence the ~45k mark.

Not saying it won't be, but let us see the final product on the road in thousands in all situations and see if it really works. The same reason I didn't order a Mustang till I saw one in person.

I still don’t get the scepasism, the model S, X and Roadster show clearly that Tesla’s work.

if the model 3 does not deliver it basically ruins the company, and that means backing against a guy who brought the world a the most popular alternative method of commerce and the frivate private company to send craft it no low earth orbit. Sure some of his more Outlandish ideas have required a few goes, but you want to be sceptical about that guy?

Look, you can put your money down now. I’m not saying I don’t want to buy one, I just don’t want to buy one now. I can wait till 2017 or even 2018. If i’m ready to buy one in 2020 and they are raking in the money and making great cars, great.

I’m not the sort of person who can spend $40k / $50k / $60k without a sample product to try before I buy.

Not sure why my scepticism is being picked on compared to others.

I work as a research scientist doing chemical physics. I don't have any special knowledge of hydrogen storage but I do understand the basics and have spoken at length about it with a friend who used to work in that field.

Currently to use hydrogen in a car they compress it to awfully high pressures. This is required because the hydrogen atom is so small and means it costs far more energy to compress hydrogen than say propane (LPG). Hydrogen storage is a very well funded area of scientific research, that tries to find a way around this inefficiency, and has made very modest progress over several decades. For various reasons getting a tank full of hydrogen wastes a lot of energy.

The basic problems with hydrogen cars are summarised fairly well in the article below. In my opinion hydrogen cars don’t offer much competition to battery ones. It’s one thing to have a small number about, but to have a large portion of people driving them, their basic inefficiency would become acute. But I am a scientist, and my views on this issue are largely shaped by talking with other scientists and thinking about the basic science. Perhaps engineers have different ideas and they would be concerned with many practical issues that I tend to ignore

evobsession.com/hydrogen-cars-vs-electric-cars-detailed-comparison-efficiency/

This was a great read!

Yep, Hydrogen isn’t perfect yet, but I suppose it’s a bit like Fusion. If you crack it then there is no more competition. Pens down. Game over.

Look, you can put your money down now. I’m not saying I don’t want to buy one, I just don’t want to buy one now. I can wait till 2017 or even 2018. If i’m ready to buy one in 2020 and they are raking in the money and making great cars, great.

I’m not the sort of person who can spend $40k / $50k / $60k without a sample product to try before I buy.

Not sure why my scepticism is being picked on compared to others.

That’s fair enough, I thought you were referring to it not being a possibly of coming out in general… Or that it will be a gymicy golf cart. I ain’t pre ordering, I want to see if I like the car first when I can get behind the wheel of one. But if it’s as advertised, then it is the game changer

You refer to your Mustang as a person? Cute.

Netherlands moots electric car future with petrol and diesel ban by 2025

Dutch politicians have voted through a motion calling on the country to ban sales of new petrol and diesel cars starting in 2025.

The motion has only passed through the lower house of the Netherlands’ parliament, and would need to pass through the Dutch senate to become legally binding. But its success in a majority vote puts the earliest date yet on just when a major country might begin phasing out polluting transportation.

Initially, the motion – proposed by the Labour Party (PvdA), the junior member of the Netherlands’ coalition government – aimed to ban petrol and diesel cars entirely, but it was dialled back. As it stands, the proposal would allow existing cars to stay in use, but would “strive to prevent” the sales of any future ones, ensuring that Dutch roads gradually electrify over the next decade or so.

But the motion was opposed by the Labour Party’s coalition partners, the centre-right VVD, whose leader, Halbe Zijlstra, called the plan “unrealistic”, according to a report from the Dutch state broadcaster NOS. Zijlstra was particularly concerned about whether or not the proposed law would conflict with the country’s energy agreement, which commits the Netherlands to certain decarbonisation targets by 2020.

The leader of the PvdA, Diederik Samsom, says that the proposal would be feasible – and that the energy agreement wouldn’t conflict with it. “That agreement runs until 2023, we are free in what we do after that. We are ambitious, perhaps other parties are less so”, he said.

Electric car sales in the Netherlands currently stand at just under 10%.

Time will tell if this becomes an international trend or just something “those eccentric Europeans do.”

Why are people actually worried about Tesla delivering? There will be some problems with early models. There always are. They are under warranty and Tesla fixes anything that shouldn’t be the way it is (though it does sorta suck). There is an 8 year, unlimited km warranty on the cars, can you name any other car that has anything like that?

People have been worried about Tesla scaling up production on the Roadster, Model S and Model X. It hasn’t been a problem other than delays in starting which unfortunately is characteristic of Tesla. The Model X had a few problems primarily over the (IMO over) adventurous falcon wing doors slowing production. This is aiming for mass production, they have a lot of time to prepare and know what they are up against. The only thing that can hold them back is the rate at which they can construct the Gigafactory that they made which constructs all of the batteries for the cars. Fun fact: the Gigafactory, at peak production, will produce the same amount of kWh storage that the whole world produced in 2012. It is the largest factory on earth by volume. They are ready for this. I actually don’t doubt that there will be overruns in commencing production and that they won’t quite make end of 2017. But once they get going I can’t see huge problems arising.

The car will cost $35,000 US before incentives which is $48,000 AUD plus whatever it costs you to get it shipped over here. Plus a couple of the options it may be closer to $55,000. Very worth noting that not only are you not paying for any fuel (take $10,000 off the life of the car) but there is no servicing. When opposed to the other cars in its class eg BMW 3 series this is huge. Those guys do not miss you. Tesla recommends you do your rudimentary stuff like alignment etc which they sell for the Model S up front for plans which work out at $500 a year. Even then compared to other cars you probably save well over $5,000 over the life of the car.

Generally the most surprises for a Tesla unveilling are left at the final unveil rather than the initial, ie in late 2017 before they ship. Elon said there are bigger surprises than ever waiting for this day. My prediction is that this car will be ready for completely autonomous self driving in its first form in a mass produced car. They say that every year that goes by we halve the prediction on when self driving cars will be ready and given what they’ve already shown with their autopilot on the S and X I think we’re in for a surprise. I think Tesla wants to maintain their stance as the market leader in that area and wouldn’t be surprised if we saw some info on some sort of ride sharing partnership or solo venture which is what the next frontier is (a total change in the paradigm of using and owning/not owning cars).

Why are people actually worried about Tesla delivering? /snip/

Maybe, and I’m being a little cautious here…maybe there a a lot of oil tycoons on this site…

Maybe, and I’m being a little cautious here…maybe there a a lot of oil tycoons on this site…

I wish i was an oil tycoon. I’d be hanging out with smithy.

I wish i was an oil tycoon. I’d be hanging out with smithy.

You too could buy a Mustang.
And name it.

It also must be said, the mustang market is kinda not the Tesla market.

I wouldn’t be so sure, I just bought a car that is as far from green as a Mustang (not a Mustang) but my next purchase may very well be something electric. Like others have said it looks like the Model 3 will be a few years off yet and I want to feel & touch it before I buy it and it was car changeover time now and I wanted one last fuel guzzler :slight_smile:

Well I have a foot in both camps. Want the nostalgia, performance and looks of the mustang but I can get the efficiency, performance, looks in a Tesla. For a similar price. I get a car allowance in my job, and I need to have something to drive.

I already know in my head that in driving my last or second last petroleum powered car.

I am planning on renovating my garage bungalow thing out the back and I am planning on either fitting the dimensions of a mustang, or future proofing it for a carbon neutral studio with solar to power the car at night and those wall mounted batteries etc.

The only ‘issue’ I have is the range, and lack of noise. Like the F1 cars a couple of years back, they were quieter than your average family car, it just lacked something, ‘atmosphere’ I suppose.

A CHINESE tech giant has unveiled a new electric car it hopes will rival the Tesla Motors Model S and its successors.