That four players we are missing: To become a top four side

Looking at the last year’s Premier in Hawthorn:

Gunston

Breust

I.Smith

B. Hill

Can our recruiters find players who can contribute like these players? Or have we already got them in and they need to be developed more?

Can Ambrose develop into our Gunston. Or is it Ashby?

Is Jackson Merrett going to become our Breust

Colyer is well on his away of becoming a good run and carry player like Smith.

Can Edwards step up from the 2s and start having impact like Hill and start hitting leading forwards on the chest?

We just need to find 3 or 4 players who can kick 30-40 odd goals each to be a serious contender.(Carlisle and Daniher can be two of them).

We need a gun mid, Gun ruck, Gun defender, Gun forward.

Apart from Danger, no ruck,Fwd, Defender free

We don’t need a defender. We need 2 mids.

Agreed - 2 gun mids and a forward. Not sure Jake is our forward answer and despite others beliefs can’t see Jake,Hurls and Hooker in the same backline - not mobile enough.
The way this season’s heading we might end up with a top 5 pick and I’d be using Jake to try and prise a mid or forward from somewhere.
Probably not a popular view but I think the draft is our way forward. Not winning a flag with our list and unfortunately Jobe’s not getting any younger.
And obviously a ruckman

We don’t need a defender. We need 2 mids.

Because with all the good players going (relatively) cheap, plus the guys available in trades, plus the fact we actually had some players with value at the time who subsequently had limited value to us, it would be the one time you could totally rebuild the list. If you’re going full monty with the hindsight thingo.

If we're playing hindsight experts, there is only one single draft you need to go back to and change. 2009. In hindsight we had guys with currency who would never make it or play a premiership for us (Hille, Gumby, Pears, Jetta, Hislop), there were guys who went later than their value (Fyfthe, Howlett, Barlow, Duncan, Christensson, Gunston, Duryea, Golby, M Wright), some cheap trades you could try and be part of (Schulz, Kennedy, McGlynn, Mumford) and as a kicker you could pick up Isaac Smith, Fasolo and Giles in the rookie draft.

I don’t know how you’d manage the salary cap, but if you could go back and give Essendon the good knowledge before that draft you could make a killing. Of course, it would probably save Knights if he could put Kennedy, McGlynn, Barlow, Howlett straight into the midfield, Schulz up forward, with Christensen and Fyfthe running around the edges. Play Hurley & Hooker back, and give Houli games.

Why change the one draft we got 5-6 good players from?
Rather than any of the 5-6 drafts we only got a player or two?
Rioli (Myers) Barlow (hardingham) Parker (steinberg) Motlop (prismall)

Am I doing this right?

Merv KKKeane

If we’re playing hindsight experts, there is only one single draft you need to go back to and change. 2009. In hindsight we had guys with currency who would never make it or play a premiership for us (Hille, Gumby, Pears, Jetta, Hislop), there were guys who went later than their value (Fyfthe, Howlett, Barlow, Duncan, Christensson, Gunston, Duryea, Golby, M Wright), some cheap trades you could try and be part of (Schulz, Kennedy, McGlynn, Mumford) and as a kicker you could pick up Isaac Smith, Fasolo and Giles in the rookie draft.

I don’t know how you’d manage the salary cap, but if you could go back and give Essendon the good knowledge before that draft you could make a killing. Of course, it would probably save Knights if he could put Kennedy, McGlynn, Barlow, Howlett straight into the midfield, Schulz up forward, with Christensen and Fyfthe running around the edges. Play Hurley & Hooker back, and give Houli games.

I've said it before and ill say it again. Andrew Russell made these guys. Put them in to the Melbourne system and they would all be ordinary players. Hawthorn can turn average players into good players. Look at ceglar ffs. He has somehow turned into this ridiculous athlete. As much as I hate to say it, they have a very good system at the moment.

I've said it before and ill say it again. Andrew Russell made these guys. Put them in to the Melbourne system and they would all be ordinary players. Hawthorn can turn average players into good players. Look at ceglar ffs. He has somehow turned into this ridiculous athlete. As much as I hate to say it, they have a very good system at the moment.

This.
It also helps that they have the luxury of playing these guys in the seconds for a few years before debuting without a large pack of fans demanding they be delisted.

So we’re essentially a few All Australians and B+ types away?

Disagree, we’re some mental focus away. Cattle is there.

OH MY GOD !  

We're just about to start on a finals campaign and some clown comes up with a thread telling us what's wrong with our team ???

MODS, PLEASE GURGE !!!

Gunston

Gibson

Walters

I think that’d do

Oh and gurge derp derp

1. Sibosado
  2. Collard
  3. Aaron Sweet
  4. Relton Roberts

The four wins we are missing: To become a premiership side.

Ambrose is a dead-eye ■■■■, amazing accuracy when kicking for goal like Breust and with an amazing engine, but he is much slower. He will be a very valuable player in the future.

I think you are spot on, Jackson Merrett could very well develop into our very own Breust when he fills out a bit and finds some decent form. 

Hitting leading forwards on the chest: not many players in the comp do this better than Zaka. He stands out, but really any of our midfielders can do that, it's a vital part of their role in that position.

Run and carry is certainly not an issue in our team, in my opinion. When Dempsey is at his brilliant best, his run and carry is great to watch. We have young talent coming through who will play this role too- Marty Gleeson and Zac Merrett. As you mentioned above, Colyer is good for run and carry too, but he has his own style and qualities on a football field, no need to compare him to anyone else. He has become one of our most important players.

There are also lots of younger players we know very little about, all of whom could fit into those brackets: Dalgleish, Hams, Van Unen and Browne just to name a few. Lastly I want to add, we don't want Essendon versions of these players, we want our own players who play similar roles. I don't like making comparisons, but I can see where you are coming from, nice thread. 

Hird

McLeod

Coleman

Superman

Brad Hill is grossly overrated…poor kick when the pressure is on.

Klemke

Magin

German

Carrol

And we're there.

Hislop

Hislop

Reimers

Hislop