Monfries

Crameri

Houli

Jenkins

Monfries

Crameri

Houli

Richards

How about we dream about winning a single final first before expecting anything like a top 4 finish(es)?

I‘m dreaming about winning 4 finals before expecting anything like a singular finish.

The hawks blew up the cats. Its the new model. Even Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell ran out the game really well. But we really saw the importance of hill and smith last night. Lets hope the club is looking at these types of players, both speed and endurance.

The hawks blew up the cats. Its the new model. Even Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell ran out the game really well. But we really saw the importance of hill and smith last night. Lets hope the club is looking at these types of players, both speed and endurance.

I've said it before and ill say it again. Andrew Russell made these guys. Put them in to the Melbourne system and they would all be ordinary players. Hawthorn can turn average players into good players. Look at ceglar ffs. He has somehow turned into this ridiculous athlete. As much as I hate to say it, they have a very good system at the moment.

This.
It also helps that they have the luxury of playing these guys in the seconds for a few years before debuting without a large pack of fans demanding they be delisted.

disagree. don't underestimate the importance of development or the ability of melbourne to ■■■■ a player up, but Smith was always going to be good, if anything I think it's linking up with Hodge, Buddy and Rioli that got his confidence up and drove him to use his abilities in the attacking link up style that he does.

Gunston was quality before the Hawks got him which is why they stole him and why adelaide had a hissy fit about it.

Brad Hill, again confidence was all he needed. there's some genetic evidence that he might have been very good without andrew russell.

Basically development fitness are great but the power of hawthorn has been taking natural talent and sticking in an amazing team that can absorb mistakes and give players the confidence and support to become the most damaging player they can be.

think Des Headland becoming the fifth member of the "fab four" in brisbane. Think Blumfield, Moorcroft, Heffernan. If any of those guys had stayed with their great team they would've stayed excellent players themselves.

I'm sure there's been plenty of very fit well drilled hawthorn players who lack the weapons to push somebody out of a regular senior spot.

I've said it before and ill say it again. Andrew Russell made these guys. Put them in to the Melbourne system and they would all be ordinary players. Hawthorn can turn average players into good players. Look at ceglar ffs. He has somehow turned into this ridiculous athlete. As much as I hate to say it, they have a very good system at the moment.

This.
It also helps that they have the luxury of playing these guys in the seconds for a few years before debuting without a large pack of fans demanding they be delisted.
disagree. don't underestimate the importance of development or the ability of melbourne to fark a player up, but Smith was always going to be good, if anything I think it's linking up with Hodge, Buddy and Rioli that got his confidence up and drove him to use his abilities in the attacking link up style that he does.
Gunston was quality before the Hawks got him which is why they stole him and why adelaide had a hissy fit about it.
Brad Hill, again confidence was all he needed. there's some genetic evidence that he might have been very good without andrew russell.
Basically development fitness are great but the power of hawthorn has been taking natural talent and sticking in an amazing team that can absorb mistakes and give players the confidence and support to become the most damaging player they can be.
think Des Headland becoming the fifth member of the "fab four" in brisbane. Think Blumfield, Moorcroft, Heffernan. If any of those guys had stayed with their great team they would've stayed excellent players themselves.
I'm sure there's been plenty of very fit well drilled hawthorn players who lack the weapons to push somebody out of a regular senior spot.

I completely agree. Im just using the example of high performance because its what i know, and its vitally important. The afl want a faster, more free flowing game, and the clubs that adjust to this will win premierships.

We have lot of top heavy inside midfielders. We don't have the speed on the outside. Stanton has slowed down but he is also playing a different role. When opposition spread we are unable to keep up with them. Example when Motlop was on for Geelong we had no one who could keep up with him.
Clubs like Gold Coast and GWS have inside midfielders who have the speed to spread or defend. We really looked so slow.

Actually Hocking did a good job keeping up with Motlop. In one play he cut the angle and chased him down - that was impressive. Motlop only got off the leash when he returned from interchange and Hocking wasn’t sure who to go to. Problem is our outside runners, need another player with the pace of Colyer’s but more importantly the discipline to run back and pick up the oppositions runner otherwise next year a lot of teams will cut us up. Im not aStanton hater but feel he has to go out of the team to make way for a M. White / I. Smith / J. Polec type player. Howlett to make way for a 190+cm, 90kg fast inside mid. Bang Flag #17

Actually Hocking did a good job keeping up with Motlop. In one play he cut the angle and chased him down - that was impressive. Motlop only got off the leash when he returned from interchange and Hocking wasn't sure who to go to. Problem is our outside runners, need another player with the pace of Colyer's but more importantly the discipline to run back and pick up the oppositions runner otherwise next year a lot of teams will cut us up. Im not aStanton hater but feel he has to go out of the team to make way for a M. White / I. Smith / J. Polec type player. Howlett to make way for a 190+cm, 90kg fast inside mid. Bang Flag #17

All I read was "howlett to make way for superman"

Another player already on our list with a bit of pace is Fantasia, who the coaches seem to like.

Good sides with the right recruiting and trading can become the Premiers. I think of Collingwood when they got Ball and Jolly to fix up their need for inside mid and a ruck going on to become Premiers.

Hawthorn getting Lake when they kept falling short.

We need to bring player who is a small forward who is a goal kicker and also can put in forward pressure. Fast run and carry player who can hit the leading forwards or defend when needed. We will need a third tall defender.

Actually Hocking did a good job keeping up with Motlop. In one play he cut the angle and chased him down - that was impressive. Motlop only got off the leash when he returned from interchange and Hocking wasn't sure who to go to. Problem is our outside runners, need another player with the pace of Colyer's but more importantly the discipline to run back and pick up the oppositions runner otherwise next year a lot of teams will cut us up. Im not aStanton hater but feel he has to go out of the team to make way for a M. White / I. Smith / J. Polec type player. Howlett to make way for a 190+cm, 90kg fast inside mid. Bang Flag #17

All I read was "howlett to make way for superman"

“Flag #17” didn’t excite you?

The topic is “four players needed to be a top 4 side” but with the speculation going on in the media atm and its relentless pummeling of our club hope this thread doesnt end up looking like “8 players needed to be a top 8 side” !

Not trying to turn this into a best 22 thread but this is basically my opinion of who should be locks to help make is challenge us for a premiership and what positions could be available to be filled by super quality players. I have factored in this years poor form by several players (Dempsey, Stanton, etc), but by no means am I suggesting they should be traded, just that I think there is question marks on their positions over the next 3 years.

B: Baguley - Hooker - ?3rd tall?

HB: Hibberd - Hurley - ?back flank line breaker?

C: Stanton Watson Zaharakis

HF: Z.Merrett Carlisle Goddard

FF: ?Goal kicking pocket? - Daniher - ?3rd tall?

RR: Ryder Heppell Hocking

I: Bellchambers Colyer Myers ?midfielder?

I have missed out a a lot of quality players in

Stanton, Dempsey, Chapman, Fletch, Winderlich, Gleeson, Melksham, J.Merrett Howlett, etc. But some will retire soon and some have question marks on their position.

So from what I have identified, we need the following positions to be filled with B or A grade players for us to be a premiership power:

3rd tall defender - Long live Fletcher, might sound negative but he will not be playing in 3 years. Give me a Josh Gibson/ Enright. We don’t have the depth in this position so that must be addressed in the offseason.

Line breaking defender - we have a couple of young blokes in Gleeson and Dalgleish who could make the position their own but it’s still early days. Give me a Brodie Smith.

Goal kicking forward - hard to find but how good would it be to have our own Eddie Betts/ Bruest. We at least need a player who can kick 30 goals a season and be a great defensive player. Does J.Merrett have potential or is he more of a half forward flanker/ midfielder?

3rd tall forward - Ambrose played admirably in his first year but the position is not his yet and u wonder whether he has a high ceiling in terms of potential. Despite his height a player such as Jamie Elliot/ jake Stringer would be ideal.

A few more midfielders. We have several players who could step into this spot but we need blokes like Melksham, J.Merrett to become consistent B-graders. Another young A-grader alongside Heppell would be ideal in a perfect world (e.g Pendlebury & Beams).

Jamie Elliott as third tall? You do realise he’s 5’10" yeah?

Idiots.

Jamie Elliott as third tall? You do realise he's 5'10" yeah?
Idiots.

Best contested marking small man in the competition! 

imo your resting ruckman is your 3rd tall.

And if not, then Goddard is big enough for it.

Get some speed in there.

We have lot of top heavy inside midfielders. We don't have the speed on the outside. Stanton has slowed down but he is also playing a different role. When opposition spread we are unable to keep up with them. Example when Motlop was on for Geelong we had no one who could keep up with him.
Clubs like Gold Coast and GWS have inside midfielders who have the speed to spread or defend. We really looked so slow.

Yep.

Agree.

Need to trade a couple of our slow midfield types. We've got enough: Watson Heppell Goddard Chapman Hocking Myers Stanton Howlett Melksham 

One real positive I think is that J Merrett can play much better than he did in the last half of this year.

Likewise Melksham and Pears.

So there's possible improvement there.

Yep. Outside run is what we need. Would a Jeff Gartlett be worth a look? I know he's a bit of a loose cannon but at his best he can be very damaging.