That's a funny Pronunciation

The English often can’t speak their own language.

But the city Derby is still pronounced Darby.

So West Aussies pronounce it the same way as Yanks do…nothing to be proud of there.

Coodabeens played ‘Snow Complications’ on the Saturday of QBD (as always). Love the little “Londres, ah correction London”, “Europa… correction Europe”. And then how he adds the incorrect correction to “doing a bit of business for the old man en route” by adding after a tiny pause “in root” (phonetic of course; this is not Sir Les’ ‘Traveller’s Tool’!

Pronunciations of names from other places is always fraught. Who says “wore-sess-tah-shire” sauce? But most Aussies would say “kez-wick” (in Adelaide), not Kezz-ick.

I don’t say Parree for Paris. But I also wouldn’t ren-dez-vooz with someone there. So really we are all inconsistent.

…and why do Americans pronounce McPherson as Mc"Phearson"?
Also = check out solder, comes out in the US as “sodder”

I dunno, why do we pronounce Lieutenant as “leftenant”?

Yeah there was a Seinfeld ep where Kramer allegedly met “Elle McPhearson”. Got the first name right but messed up the second.

Why do we pronounce Ian like we do

It should be another homonym for ion and iron.

Stupid language.

Ion Idriess :neutral_face:

What about Eoin? Owen!

On surnames, Richard Osborne started his footy career with the commentators pronouncing his name correctly (rhymes with how we pronounce Melbourne) but by the time he finished they pronounced it the American way “OzBORN”.

Actor Sean Bean. Just proves we can’t apply rules or logic to how some words are pronounced.

What? Seen Borne?

Pronunciation can vary between the services. I tend to think of Left tenant pronunciation as derived from the meaning of the term = “left in charge”

The name Ian is generally pronounced as “Ee-an” but I’ve heard croweaters say it as “Een”.

The best (worst?) I ever heard was the surname Guy pronounced as “Gooey”.

Or from French, lieu = place + tenant = holding

Lee-er-t’-nong

Borrowing from the Yanks? They say buoy as “booey”