The 12

Too bad there's 12 and not 9 I could come up with a lot or LOTR jokes

It wont just be about loyalty to the club. There will be an element of commercial decision to this as well. Hooker and Hurley will have massive $$$ thrown at them. Carlisle was worth 750 a year. They are franchise type players. They will have Tom Boyd type money thrown at them

It wont just be about loyalty to the club. There will be an element of commercial decision to this as well. Hooker and Hurley will have massive $$$ thrown at them. Carlisle was worth 750 a year. They are franchise type players. They will have Tom Boyd type money thrown at them

Well it works both ways - we have to pay someone. If some of the 12 leave we are going to have plenty of cap space I would have thought.

I think all 12 should be offered contracts (I think club has already confirmed they will??) for 2017.

From a playing perspective I think the following will happen:
TBell - Will stay on contract because no other club wants him but will underperform again leading to delisting in 2018.
Pears - Will take the 1 year deal for extra $$ but never crack another senior game.
Myers - Will want to stay at the club but will struggle for a spot in the 22 against machines like Laverde and Francis
Hocking - Will retire
Howlett - Was borderline best 22 and has played his last game for EFC.

Watson - Will stay on but injury and age will mean we never see his best again - biggest tragedy of this whole mess, will retire end of 2017.
Stanton - Will stay to play out last season and retire at the same time as Watson.
Hibberd - Won’t be able to maintain physical conditioning and will struggle to reclaim his spot in the best 22.

Hurley - Will come out breathing fire and spend 5 years pulverising opposition forwards as retribution for this.
Hooker - See Hurley.
Heppell - Loves the club and knows he is next man up for the captaincy. Will finish his career as a one club player.
Colyer - Will return and spend at least 2 more seasons at EFC before finishing career in W.A.

Realistically I only see 4 of the 12 coming back to play regular EFC footy in the future. Such a waste of a generation.

I wouldn’t be handing out contract extensions.
We cannot afford to just throw away list spots.
Some of these players would have been out of the game for a year and half (including the last half of 2015).

TBell - If Looney can stay on the park, then I’d let him go wherever he wants. Even PSD if need be. Otherwise, he stays while we develop some other long term ruck option.
Pears - Shouldn’t be back. He was lucky to stay on the list after last season. The guy has played very little competitive footy in the past five years.
Howlett - Needs to go. He’s borderline best 22 and we need to give midfield time to our younger developing midfielders.

Myers - Happy to keep for a year or two. If a trade opportunity opened up, I’d take it though. Almost two years out of the game would be tough for him to instantly return to his best form (which across his career has been minuscule).
Hocking - Keep for one year, but if we can find a trade, we should take it. He is a tagger and I’m not sure that out is a critical part of our gameplan during the early development of a fresh list.
Watson & Stanton - they have earned the right to decide their own future (on one year contract extensions). If they play on another year, then so be it.
Colyer - tough call on him. He’s had 1 very good year and a handful of games in 2015 where he single handedly won us the game with his run and carry late in games. Can he get back to that level after having a year and a half off? I hope he stays, but would have no troubles if a trade could be arranged that suits his and our needs.

Hibberd - must be kept.
Hurley / Hooker - must be kept.
Heppell - must be kept.

The only big bugger is that the trade value for any player who’s been out of the game for a year will be diminished. I’d be surprised if we were lucky enough to get a pick in the 30s for anyone who wishes to leave via trade.
If we were smart enough though, we’d acquire all those picks early and combine them for academy trades.

Bellchambers signed a new 3 year deal last year and believe me, if you think we’d be lucky to get a pick in the top 30 for any of those players, you are delusional. They will still cost the same.

Think you will find if we want to keep the big names then offering the whole group an extra year is a big sticking point.
Regardless the club owe it to those players. We must make sure we’re doing everything in our power to keep those 12 satisfied and the extra year is a good starting point.

There will be some that leave, some that retire and some that simply prove they aren’t up to it this year so from a list management stand point we’ll have no issues in shaping our turn over.

Apologies if this has already been asked, but if any of the 12 decide to retire this year, can the club extend contracts for any of the top up players? Or would they have to go into the draft?

Apologies if this has already been asked, but if any of the 12 decide to retire this year, can the club extend contracts for any of the top up players? Or would they have to go into the draft?

They have to go into the draft. The club cannot keep them past the first week of October when their contracts expire. Maybe Kochie can have one of them then…

Thanks. Bugger.

Thanks Bugger.

I think you’ll find his name was Irons.

Hocking retire - he is 28 FFS!

Seriously, anybody calling for Hocking to retire, be traded, or delisted has rocks in their head!

Watson and Stanton it’s entirely up the them, depending on the outcome of the appeal may effect Watsons decision. I think Stanton will play on, and the rest may do him good.

Hocking, Hooker, Hurley and Heppell, Hibbered should get whatever it takes thrown at them to keep them.

Myers and Colyer we should do our best to keep as well. But the west may come calling. I think they will stay.

Howlett, Pears and TBell won’t have any other option than to stay.

Seriously, anybody calling for Hocking to retire, be traded, or delisted has rocks in their head!

Watson and Stanton it’s entirely up the them, depending on the outcome of the appeal may effect Watsons decision. I think Stanton will play on, and the rest may do him good.

Hocking, Hooker, Hurley and Heppell, Hibbered should get whatever it takes thrown at them to keep them.

Myers and Colyer we should do our best to keep as well. But the west may come calling. I think they will stay.

http://www.kitchenologie.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/kitchen-sinks-3.jpg

?

?

Chips?

?

Chips?

Hell yeah. On a stick!!

Yes Hocking is only 28 but had some niggling injuries and was slower to start with so not sure what 12 months off does.

Reason why we struggled big time last year in the middle was the lack of Hocking’s presence in there… but by the same token we have some really big bodies coming through like Laverde who may take that protector role.

Also the role of tagging appears to be changing and how does that affect Hocking etc etc. Lot of blokes who play that inside midfield role end up with battered bodies by 30.

Yes Hocking is only 28 but had some niggling injuries and was slower to start with so not sure what 12 months off does.

Reason why we struggled big time last year in the middle was the lack of Hocking’s presence in there… but by the same token we have some really big bodies coming through like Laverde who may take that protector role.

Also the role of tagging appears to be changing and how does that affect Hocking etc etc. Lot of blokes who play that inside midfield role end up with battered bodies by 30.

None of those other inside mid guys get a season off to repair themselves. A repaired body, fresh mind and a point to prove Health Hocking is a scary prospect.

He is a leader, he is now a crafty veteren, he is a contested ball beast, he can be damaging when not tagging. Even talking of cutting Hocking is silly.